Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yet Another Bike Setup Thread
Quote | Reply
I just moved my second bottle from the down tube to a behind the seat setup. This was primarily for my first HIM of the season (Muncie) so that I could carry two bottles plus my flat kit in the aero bottle. Wondering if this setup *should* be more aero than a round bottle on the down tube plus a very small seat bag for tube/co2.

Also- I have not been fit on this bike but have made some tweaks to the fit since acquiring it this winter. I think the aspect ratio of the picture (phone pic) makes the bike look a little smaller than it actually is. Any low hanging fruit?

FWIW race day setup includes SRAM S80 wheels with a disc cover on the rear; Bontrager R4 aero tires, and latex tubes.

Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Bike Setup Thread [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice bike and setup

But, why point the bottle horizontally like that? Is it hard to reach and put back?

BTW, If you rode and raced where I rode, you'd lose that bottle mighty quick. In one race alone, I lost 4 bottles, 2 of my own and 2 from aid stations and they were at 45 degree angles. Then I finally decided to get Xlab cages and no more bottles, except those camelback ones, they're slippery.

Anywho, good looking bike
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Bike Setup Thread [tomspharmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did think about that, and plan to test the setup on some bumpy roads before race day. Honestly the reason it's nearly horizontal is that's the best way I found to securely mount the cage with zip ties. If I move the cage lower I can get around 45 degrees but then I feel like the bottle will be sitting in an area with a lot more airflow.

The cage is metal so I can use the scientific "squeeze" method to tighten up its grip on the bottle if necessary. If it launches bottles I guess I'll have to move it back to the down tube...

Thanks for the feedback!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shave your legs ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strong chance of that bottle being ejected... Different cage may help but bigger issue is the longer bottle when full... Over half the mass is outside the cage...
Getting a cage strong enough to hold make getting the bottle out a prick.. U push away from yourself to get it out... And if it's super tight a fair chance slippy sweaty hands will drop it as it suddenly releases...
Also this is destabilising whilst riding...

For bugger all aero difference, I'd run it at 45 degree.. Off the back of the saddle... Loosing half your nutrition will cause u more grief than any aero loss....

Oh the other aero loss is u not shaving the legs... Have u not been reading the posts lately.. And those bad boys would be worth the full 15... If other half comajns tell em it'll grow back after the race...
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Bike Setup Thread [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a seat bracket for a bottle cage, look into the Giant Trinity bottle cage bracket... I got a Giant Trinity cage off ebay for less than 10 bucks and it can carry either a single bottle cage or 2 bottle cages because the bracket has 3 angled sides... it also tilts in many directions. Even new from a Giant dealer they're at like 20.

I'm not showing the shopping site, only the cage system: http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/...cage-adapter-p204322

Just a suggestion
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Bike Setup Thread [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll try to work some zip tie magic to get it closer to 45 deg. Bottom line I am assuming that the bottle behind the seat + aero bottle flat kit should be better than a round bottle on the down tube + small flat kit in seat bag?

I did see the thread on shaving... I am waiting for corroboration from other sources.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wind Tunnel testing shaved legs

Also, do not use the magnesium or aluminum bottle cages (looks like that is what you have). I had two on my xlab wing set to 45 degree angles and both of them broke and ejected bottles. I then bought two Specialized Rib cages and have never had a bottle ejected since then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that cage is a bottle ejector, for sure.

Change cages and use a regular sized WB and it *may* work. I would recommend a Soecialized Rib Cage.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Bike Setup Thread [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my suspicions about legs (I've been mistaken for Sasquatch) as you can feel air buffeting around, but that is huge. thanks for re-posting that info.

Cool bike I was looking at getting Transition very stylish.

Do you guys do anything for the pedals? On my custom pedals I faired the bottom to smooth airflow under the foot.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Bike Setup Thread [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Here she is with race wheels... not quite old school but I think the bike and wheels go pretty well together.

Quote Reply