Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yawning after hard effort
Quote | Reply
Question for the crowd. this is going to seem crazy, but after finishing IM70.3WC, I felt like crap and was yawning frequently for a few minutes until I sat down and gathered myself. It was hot, and I was up at my threshold HR if helpful, but has anyone had this experience before? Any insight as to what causes it? I played webMD and it looks like it might be a) lack of O2 related or b) maybe a cooling mechanism.

Regardless, I have done hotter races in the past with just as high of a HR and never had this kind of reaction...Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Yawning after hard effort [Fluffyfin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fluffyfin wrote:
Question for the crowd. this is going to seem crazy, but after finishing IM70.3WC, I felt like crap and was yawning frequently for a few minutes until I sat down and gathered myself. It was hot, and I was up at my threshold HR if helpful, but has anyone had this experience before? Any insight as to what causes it? I played webMD and it looks like it might be a) lack of O2 related or b) maybe a cooling mechanism.

Regardless, I have done hotter races in the past with just as high of a HR and never had this kind of reaction...Thoughts?

Someone told me this so take that for what it is worth, I was told that yawming can be caused by not enough oxygen.
You do know that everyone that is reading this subject line is now yawning right? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure why that is crazy. You just finished a race that you put a lot into. I often feel tired pretty soon after a major effort and, as I understand it, yawning is a reaction to feeling tired. Apparently we partly do it, like a lot of hunting animals, because as a social group it helps coordinate sleep then we can all hunt again when we wake. That always made sense to me because it links with why yawning is catching. We aren't all losing oxygen together, we are responding to the group signal to sleep.
Quote Reply
Re: Yawning after hard effort [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need fir oxygen. I actually used to yawn before running the mile in college. My body was anticipating going into oxygen debt.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to yawn on the start line of races all the time, needed more oxygen, but on the plus side it used to psych out the competition

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you were tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often yawn after hard sets when lifting weights, which I have attributed to not breathing regularly and thus running an oxygen debt/CO2 overload.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Yawning is a sign of relaxing (not being tired).

When tension / stress go down (for any reason) from a high level, you yawn. This is why it is contagious, from human to human, cat to cat, and as I experience sometimes, from human to cat. A very old animal reflex from an old part of the brain. When an animal (cat for exemple) yawn, it mean : " I go down from high stress - hunt, fight, game - to low stress - rest, sleep - ", so other cats feel relaxed also, and yawn also.

It work well between humans, in the Paris metro. One yawn, the other yawn also,,,,

At the end of the Nice WC, you were relaxed from pressure, and yawn...
A lot of pressure, apparently :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get this during a heavy training block.

It feels like I can't get 'satisfied' by a normal breath and often the yawns leave me feeling I didn't get a proper breath.

It's not pleasant at all.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people think that yawning cools your brain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a Dawn Patrol runner, and I've been caught yawning a time or two while waiting for the stoplight

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply