Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Xtri Utah
Quote | Reply
Will this race happen? The race date is September 11, 2021. I'm considering it, but I'm somewhat hesitant. I'm already invested in IM Des Moines 70.3 and IM North Carolina 70.3.

After watching a recent YouTube video from Triathlon Taren, I'm pretty skeptical of IM's financial profile and whether IM ends up declaring bankruptcy. I would lose my money from both IM races.

I know this is an Xtri race, but I wonder if I'd be pissing away another $450?

It's getting harder to justify race registration when everything is so uncertain.
Quote Reply
Re: Xtri Utah [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
Will this race happen? The race date is September 11, 2021. I'm considering it, but I'm somewhat hesitant. I'm already invested in IM Des Moines 70.3 and IM North Carolina 70.3.

After watching a recent YouTube video from Triathlon Taren, I'm pretty skeptical of IM's financial profile and whether IM ends up declaring bankruptcy. I would lose my money from both IM races.

I know this is an Xtri race, but I wonder if I'd be pissing away another $450?

It's getting harder to justify race registration when everything is so uncertain.

That is 7 months away. Is there anything, anyone can say that has any merit to it. We don’t even know was 2 months away will look like.
That said, Xtri would have a much smaller field and there is less on course support since it’s self supported so I would say it has a higher chance of happening than an Ironman race.
Quote Reply
Re: Xtri Utah [T2LV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I'm just wondering if I wouldn't be better off waiting on this one until summer. Perhaps wait until my next race which is IM Des Moines 70.3. That would be the prudent thing and allow me to make a wise decision. With so much uncertainty just pulling the trigger on races is a big risk anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
many races happening in utah. i see people traveling from afar to participate. since its non ironbrand you should be good. But if you are one to boycott HITS races... this is not for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Xtri Utah [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm registered and training hard for it. Climbed 6660 ft in 65 miles during today's ride.

I've booked hotels at start and finish (point to point race) but haven't booked flights yet.

I've received no communication indicating that it's not happening, so it's still on in my world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
After watching a recent YouTube video from Triathlon Taren, I'm pretty skeptical of IM's financial profile and whether IM ends up declaring bankruptcy.

What video is this? Ironman was purchased by a private equity company just last year. It seems highly unlikely to me that they would declare bankruptcy.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Xtri Utah [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DV8R wrote:
I'm registered and training hard for it. Climbed 6660 ft in 65 miles during today's ride.

I've booked hotels at start and finish (point to point race) but haven't booked flights yet.

I've received no communication indicating that it's not happening, so it's still on in my world.

Do you plan to use a road bike or a TT bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Xtri Utah [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
DV8R wrote:

Road bike with clip on bars
Quote Reply
Re: Xtri Utah [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DV8R wrote:
Raw Vegan wrote:
DV8R wrote:

Road bike with clip on bars

Smart set up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it. Probably not the right thread for it, but we don't know what Ironman's balance sheet looks like post new ownership, and I'd wager that the new owners have additional capital they would invest in the business if warranted over simply giving in to bankruptcy.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really doubt a PE firm would make a purchase with no plan to invest (all of those that I work with come in expecting to infuse cash if needed).

Having raced the initial Patagonman, this race excites me similarly and I think the super low cost structure of Xtri will make this easily managed and will fit any covid related restrictions with such a spread out race (I never saw another person after 2 hours in my race).

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
Good point. I'm just wondering if I wouldn't be better off waiting on this one until summer. Perhaps wait until my next race which is IM Des Moines 70.3. That would be the prudent thing and allow me to make a wise decision. With so much uncertainty just pulling the trigger on races is a big risk anymore.

One downside to that approach with small events like Xtri (they are small compared to MDot events) is if they don't get enough entries up front they may pull the plug on the event before you have entered.
(They pulled the plug on the Isle of Man Xtri last year, before Covid hit, due to lack of numbers. Can't blame them - whilst a low cost model, they do need a certain number to be viable).

BTW- the Xtri I did in 2019 was a fabulous day. Must be the most fun I've had on any tri, despite force 7 winds and rain.
Having 3 friends as support crew chasing me in a car all day to feed and water me, and then running with me once off the bike, made it so enjoyable for all of us.
Quote Reply
Re: Xtri Utah [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Raw Vegan wrote:

One downside to that approach with small events like Xtri (they are small compared to MDot events) is if they don't get enough entries up front they may pull the plug on the event before you have entered.
(They pulled the plug on the Isle of Man Xtri last year, before Covid hit, due to lack of numbers. Can't blame them - whilst a low cost model, they do need a certain number to be viable).

BTW- the Xtri I did in 2019 was a fabulous day. Must be the most fun I've had on any tri, despite force 7 winds and rain.
Having 3 friends as support crew chasing me in a car all day to feed and water me, and then running with me once off the bike, made it so enjoyable for all of us.

Very relevant point. OTOH I can't afford another donation. Absolutley not to IM, but really not to any other business until this covid mess is sorted out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's comfort (and I totally 'get' your point about making another multi-hundred-dollar charity donation (!) I'm pretty sure they refunded people when they pulled the plug on the non-viable event.

My experience in the last year or so is certainly that the smaller the Co, the better they have treated customers.
And Xtri at the end of the day are still a small Co really.
My N=1 experience with them has been really good).
Quote Reply