Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Xterra Worlds - Moves to December
Quote | Reply
Xterra announced today that Worlds will move from the traditional late Oct date to early Dec and will incorporate Xterra Trail Worlds on Maui as well.

https://www.xterraplanet.com/...ds-21k-added-weekend
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds - Moves to December [iainbanks1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting move, but if it makes it more likely to happen i guess that'd good. December should be bigger surf correct? and more likely to be wet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How would I (or anyone) qualify in North America thsi year? I'm interested, just didn't know if Xterra races were happening
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds - Moves to December [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Head to the website, races are happening and all have qualifying spots.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds - Moves to December [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
interesting move, but if it makes it more likely to happen i guess that'd good. December should be bigger surf correct? and more likely to be wet?

Yeah definitely more potential to be wet and bigger surf......better chance for whale watching too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea how those trails ride when wet? Would this change anything other than tire selection?
(I've never been on them wet or dry)
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds - Moves to December [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will have to see if someone who rode the changed bike course in 2019 replies. In response to 2 years of horrific mud on the bike course, picture pushing your bike half the time and clawing mud off your wheels so they would even turn, Xterra did away with one big loop bike course in favor of a 2 loop course that supposedly can handle rain better. Only used in once in 2019 so not sure if it can be judged. I was there the first mud year in 2016 on the old course. I would not go through that again, even in Maui and a world championship, podium or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds - Moves to December [NMBillb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NMBillb wrote:
You will have to see if someone who rode the changed bike course in 2019 replies. In response to 2 years of horrific mud on the bike course, picture pushing your bike half the time and clawing mud off your wheels so they would even turn, Xterra did away with one big loop bike course in favor of a 2 loop course that supposedly can handle rain better. Only used in once in 2019 so not sure if it can be judged. I was there the first mud year in 2016 on the old course. I would not go through that again, even in Maui and a world championship, podium or not.

The goal of the change of course to two laps was so the trails would be more sustainable and stand-up to rain events. Not sure if work has been continued on those trails through last year. The old single loop course was great but since they only cut the course a week ahead of the race the trails could never withstand the rains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They really should have a 2nd course ready in the event of bad rains. Just watching the riders during a few of the years when it was bad, hurt me just to see it. It really took the element of a world class race out of the equation, and made something entirely out of the race description a huge factor. Its cool to be on a tough course, but those were not tough, just stupid.

Glad the date moved, I may actually go back for this 25th annual edition. I was at the very first 25 years ago, so would be super fun to revisit that race without so much pressure...Only problem is my racing has been limited to under 2 hours for a very long time, and it seems the distances of these races push us old guys out to 3 1/2 or so...Time to get training I guess!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds - Moves to December [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with the stupidity of it, in my last race there (around 2014) it was a muddy year, and the bottom half through the singletrack was a mess. Coming out of the water with 1/3 of the field ahead of me resulted in being behind a massive parade of walking athletes once they got bogged down. It was almost comical...

I am interested in going back but the idea of that occurring again makes me a lot less interested.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds - Moves to December [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2019, it was bone dry up to race day, and then on race morning we woke up to pouring rain. Trails were super greasy, and the large root gardens were basically un-rideable, but it was nothing like the mud-fests of the past. By lap two the rain had stopped and things dried out a bit.

The new course uses a lot of the lower single track from the old course. I recall those sections of single track getting pretty muddy in the past. They seem to drain well enough from some light showers, but I think if there's a lot of rain leading into race day it'd be pretty sloppy.
Last edited by: Lav: Apr 23, 21 6:23
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds - Moves to December [Lav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was lucky to have gone in 2017 when it was dry.

Rained up until 2 days before the race, I pre-rode and it was difficult but from what I've read, nowhere near what it was like in 2016.

I have mixed feelings about going back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't December the start of whale migration and increased tourist activity? Looking at hotel rates, they look to be much higher than the historical end of October date.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds - Moves to December [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a fun day when it's muddy. I did '17,'18,'19.

My times from '17 and '19 were within 1 minute of each other under similar conditions, although different courses.

2018 mud-fest, they even shortened the bike course by a few miles, and I was ~45 minutes slower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
They really should have a 2nd course ready in the event of bad rains. Just watching the riders during a few of the years when it was bad, hurt me just to see it. It really took the element of a world class race out of the equation, and made something entirely out of the race description a huge factor. Its cool to be on a tough course, but those were not tough, just stupid.

Glad the date moved, I may actually go back for this 25th annual edition. I was at the very first 25 years ago, so would be super fun to revisit that race without so much pressure...Only problem is my racing has been limited to under 2 hours for a very long time, and it seems the distances of these races push us old guys out to 3 1/2 or so...Time to get training I guess!!!

I don't know of many other options except to move the race back to Makena. You can almost guarantee a dry course there, even in December. Can't find an old course map though.

DT Fleming will get pounded by the ocean in December. People who only swim in a pool will have a fun time, lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive done maui 2x -- both times were "dry" but still parts of the course were soaked.

I have maintained since I started doing xterras in 2015 that in general in all the major north american races, (their courses) favor light climbers for bike and run but even more favors those at altitude since only alabama is at sea level. I trained with Conrad back in the late 90s in colorado a bit and met up with him in maui in 2017(?) and asked him about the courses and specifically the worlds course... lets just say he and I agree that the Maui course and other NA races lean heavily on altitude and favoring light light climbers. (hence his worlds domination ended when it moved to maui and basically goes straight uphill for the first 90min after you exit the water).

Anyways, dec is fine w me. Make the swim harder... also fine w me. Id love to see the new two loop bike course. There are certainly opportunities for Maui to make a great bike course there. Or go back to the old one... I heard that old course is more technical and challenging. Also for that.

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds - Moves to December [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking more along the lines of using some pavement, some hilly pavement, and then interspurce it with sections that dont get so blown out with the rains. Just try to keep it an actual race, and not a total survival.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they do use some pavement in the early sections, its old golf cart tracks and some of it is steep! i haven't been since 2017, which was a mudfest. i actually had my best race because i had been doing cyclocross that season and ran more than a bit. also brought a very lightweight hardtail which, when you add 10 lbs of mud is still lighter than other folks FS. the real problem with the mud was its sticky clay/peanut butter consistency mixed with the cut grass. the grass is what really binds everything together and stops up brakes and derailleurs. if the trails are more maintained, and not "cut" right before the race then that should improve things
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this, selfishly, for further discussion.

Michelle (my wife) is considering racing in the pro field. She's unlikely to be anywhere near first out of the water. Very strong road rider, and has won local XC MTB races against reasonable competition, but only ever raced and ridden in dry conditions.

Would love to hear what folks are using for tires. I have a good understanding of the current XC MTB tire availability but I'm not sure there is anything I'd consider well equipped to handle mud that falls anywhere near the "XC" range.

Is the mud so thick that it creates tire clearance issues or is it mostly that it's gumming up drivetrain components. Do people select narrower tires to avoid tire/mud/frame rub? Or wider to not sink into mud as much??

I'm relatively new to MTB racing, and am very much a fair-weather rider so help a guy out!

What else do I need to be considering?

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds - Moves to December [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only raced it in dry years and used both a set of Maxxis Icons and Specialized Fast Traks. I did however take a set of Specialized Storm Control 1.8in that I would have used if it had turned muddy. From what I have seen in mud years everyone just gets completely clogged in the sticky mud. Look for something in that smaller diameter if you can and take as a spare set.

Others may have real life experience of what worked for them in the muddy conditions of Maui but after 20 years of MTBing in the clay mud of eastern England, I always found that narrower enabled better clearance and less clogging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! 1.8 is wicked narrow! Perhaps she's due to do some mud riding before we head down, given that December looks to have 3x the rain as October.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In theory the course "should" be better able to handle any rains since they changed the course a couple of years ago to a 2-lap course using the permanent trails around the estate. In previous years they would use the single lap and head up into the plantation and just bushwhack the trails a couple of weeks ahead of the race.

I haven't heard any intel of if they have followed through with the promise of making the trails more sustainable and therefore adaptable to rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I went I rode on Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, I also brought a set of Continental Mud Kings 1.8 in case it was muddy.

If I went now I'd bring Rocket Ron's and the mud tires.

The 1.8 inch tire is for clearance when the mud cakes up on the bike.

James Haycraft is a good person to ask.
Last edited by: jaretj: Aug 9, 21 18:54
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds - Moves to December [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy smokes, those mud kings are seriously knobby for XC tires.

How much of the course is muddy when it rains? How much is pavement? Anyone have that kind of data?

I'm clearly out of my league knowledge wise here. I'd never have expected to choose that knobby of tires for an XC race.

At what speed does it make sense to get off the bike and run?

Anyone know if these potentially muddy trails are runnable off to the side through brush, or are you going to be run/walking in the mud no matter where you go?

Does anyone know if this changes with regard to the pro fields? Do they start before the rest of us (and maybe end up with less severe mud to deal with)? Wishful thinking??

Really appreciate the help y'all are delivering so far.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was dry when I was racing in 2017 but 2 days before it was slightly muddy.

From what I was told it comes down to being able to ride or not so speed really isn't much of a factor in the mud.

Here is my GC link to the race
https://connect.garmin.com/...ctivity/2234415364/2

Speed, if I can pedal and stay upright I'll ride

Runable off to the side? if it was, we would ride it.

The pros start first and from what I've heard the course is slightly better for them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next