Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Xaero Lite for training
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I was wondering if the Spinergy Xaero lite wheels are durable enough for training or should I just save it for racing?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Xaero Lite for training [socalrunner99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put 4000+ miles on a pair over the winter with nary a problem, and I'm ~185lbs. Use 'em, love 'em.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Durables is probably an under statement. Those things are more just tough... Been training on them for about 500-600 miles and find them very good wheelset.

To put in perspective there durability... The first that was sent to me were crushed on one side of the bike wheel box. The wheel was flat on one side and cave in on the other side. Any lesser bike wheel would have definitely snapped. Not those PBO spokes. They were out of serious true... I didn't fixed them... just sent them back... I was sent a new set of wheels. My bike mechanic was surprised how true they came out of the factory.

I just took my bike in for a check up yesterday... He called to day and said he didn't have to do anything to the bike (except basic maintainence). So, I guess the verdict in my case is - they are very durable tires. And based on one bad shipping experience, they are phenomenal. Not to mention, VERY comfortable ride.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this wheelset on my Saber and love training on them. I've got almost 2000 miles since last December and never had even the slightest peep out of the wheels. I've never had to true them. I'd say they are fairly durable, for sure. They are also very comfortable. The PBO spokes seem to really smooth out the ride. I've noticed a difference between the Xaero lite on the rear and the conventional wheel/PowerTap hub I'm now riding.

BUT, I won't be racing on them. They aren't very aero. For race wheels I'll either be on my H3s or the Spinergy Carbon SS wheelset I'm still waiting on.
Quote Reply
Re: Xaero Lite for training [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll jump back in here and agree that these wheels aren't very aero. I've raced on them, and on my Hed3s and Hed Alps. Not really an aero comparison. However, that being said, if I were to race on a long course with a somewhat rough surface (e.g., Vineman, or IM New Zealand, etc.), I'd consider them a great choice. The comfort from those PBO spokes is enough to leave you much fresher going in to the run. I'm doing IM Cd'A, and am heading up next week to check out the bike course. If the roads there are as rough as I've experienced for a couple of other tris in that area (notably "Lake to Forest in Sandpoint), I may stick with the Xaero lites.

Your mileage may vary.
Quote Reply
Re: Xaero Lite for training [Lloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point, Lloyd. I have to say also, that especially since I don't race for $$, I'm for comfort on a long course. If the roads are particularly rough surfaced, I'd definitely consider the Xaero-lites over the H3s or stainless spoked Carbon SS's. Out here we have the Williamsburg, VA area colonial parkway that has a particularly rough (river gravel and concrete) surface. I won't ride it on my road bike unless I absolutely have to. But I have no problem using its 25 miles as part of a 100+ mile out and back ride on my Saber with the Xaero-lites.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use them for training and hill climb TT's, upgraded to them from my Rev-X's, the Xaero lites are a excellent wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everybody for your post. That was helpful. I'm planning on using these wheels to train for and race Ironman Wisconsin. I'm OK on the bike but not a "speed demon" so for this Ironman, comfort is more important. Looks like I've made a good decision then. Thanks again.
Quote Reply