Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
XTerra courses?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done some of these? Recommendations for a not too technical course (for MTB novice)?
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra courses? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Saguaro Lake Xterra in April in Phoenix (just outside the city) is completely non-technical. The entire race is on jeep roads. It has some tough climbs but they are not technical. The race organizer is at www.dcbadventures.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check you PM

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do NOT do Richmond. Repeat do NOT do Richmond.

It was my first Xterra race. Bad bad bad bad idea. Very technical, very hot, very hard ride.

I've heard that Keystone isn't too bad if you aren't scared to descend. It's supposed to be a tough ride, but not as technical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come over to Wales and do something similar. Great races

Bobby
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra courses? [Bobby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only race in countries where people do speak English ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point - but I like racing in Wales as it offends them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why ? The more technical the MTB course is and the more novice you are, the more FUN !!!

I've done only one Off-road Tri. It's pretty hard in Switzerland to design a not too hard course, they did well except for some sections on gravel (deadly!!!). Lots of fun even if I had not used my MTbike for 2 years and I could not shift to the big front chain ring :-)
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra courses? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mind steep climbs and downhills and even switchbacks...I do mind rocks everywhere, cactus, rattlers and stuff like that...Here is MTBers Hell (or Paradise, depending on your skills)...
30km on trails as we have here would take me nearly 2hrs I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you just want some xterra practice, then the Thunderbird Off-road tri in Norman, OK is a real easy, but fun mtn. bike course within driving distance for you. This is a points race, but isn't one of the big ones. Last year there were about 100 entrants. My wife was first overall female this year and while she is a strong biker, her lifetime mtn. bike experience is probably less than 50 hours.

By Xterra standards, the race has no real climbs, but isn't flat either. There are no rocky sections. Just lots and lots and lots of turns on a nice packed/soft dirt surface.

Of the 7 off-road tris I've done Thunderbird is the easiest with the exception of a course on Long Island.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra courses? [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds cool too. Although, a 12hr drive isn't exactly the Euro idea of 'within driving distance' ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra courses? [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phoenix in April might be interesting. Do you know what weekend they have the race? My boyfriend's family lives near Phoenix so I might be able to convince him it's worth the travel.
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra courses? [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
April 23rd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I agree DO NOT DO RICHMOND if you want to do well and not crash, but for the fun factory of both the race and the town, YOU GOTTA DO RICHMOND someday;)

Temecula isn't all that technical as far as roots and rocks. Mainly slightly sandy singletrack and jeep road with lots of climbing. It's pretty narrow and high speed though and the fact that if you go two far either to the left or the right you are really really really really really F**ked in many places you need to watch out. Run sucks though, 2 loops 70% of which is a sandy river bed. Camping is fun and it's cheap:) Although as my pro friend who camped with us said "maybe there's a reason why I'm the only pro camping..." he didn't do all that well;)

Wisconson is supposed to be very fast and non-technical save a big G-out and one really tough descent where my ex-gf got her first visit to the hospital in a while during a practice ride this year:( But it was PoUrInG rain and she was trying to follow Stoltz down the hill... On race day it was a mandatory dismount.

Good luck, lots and lots of fun:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well... It is a "days" drive. ;) But yer right. Both Temecula and Keystone are actually closer. You'd think being neigboring states and all....

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra courses? [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Richmond is a great race. Got to have some technical, but it really doesn't have many rocks just some roots and switchbacks

Hughes

Brian Hughes
http://www.fastsplits.com
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra courses? [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Temecula going to happen in 2006? I recently noted that the Xterra schedule (on the website) now reads "TBD" for the Western Championship, with no location indicated. Also, the date is now in late May.

Ed
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra courses? [chain reaction] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember hearing that they would be changing the date but same race venue, my memory can sometimes be a bit off though, must be all those falls at Richmond;) If it's happening there are a bunch of us from Hawaii going up again. Anyone want to lend us travelers a tent?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Has anyone done some of these? Recommendations for a not too technical course (for MTB novice)?

I didn't see where you're from, but in Colorado you can do the Buffalo Creek race. Not a very technical MTB course, but a nice course overall.

Another good one is the Fat Tire Triathlon in Ft. Collins. It's not an Xterra, but it's an offroad tri, nonetheless, and a great one for an MTB novice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,

Come on down to Austin, and in a week of riding with me you will feel comfortable riding any terrain.

night,

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maui is a fun course...only 1 flat tire, 2 dropped chains, and 1 head-over-the-front wheel for my baptism-by-fire on XTERRA racing this year...but what an rush. Back for more in 2006.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,

Do the Dirty Du at Rockyhill ranch near Austin this weekend. It's an awesome event on a great course. We were going to do it but instead will be doing the cross race down in Houston in preparation for the nats. Here's the website:

http://www.uphillproductions.com/Home.html

Packet pick up: Friday, Dec. 2nd, 3-7pm, Bicycle Sport Shop Central. For those outside the Austin area ONLY (ie. Houston, Dallas, San Diego) you may pick up your packet race morning at RHR.

First timer? The dirty duathlon is designed to kick your butt. You should have adequate mtn. bike handling skills, trail running ability and endurance. We are offering a sprint distance race this year for those not completely comfortable with the longer race. The race is fun, but make no mistake, it's tough.

Awards will be given 3 deep in 5 year age groups, 19 & under, 20-24, 25-29,...65+. We will adjust categories as necessary based on pre-registration.

The Dirty Duathlon is a USAT Sanctioned Event. You must have a USAT license or purchase a one day license at packet pick up ($9).

What to expect? Show up at least an hour early, park in the field to the left of transition. There will be aid stations every mile on the run, at transition and at the finish line. There are no aid stations on the bike loop so please start with a minimum of 2 water bottles. There will be bike rovers on the course for your safety, however you should plan on dealing with any mechanical issues you may have, including flat tires. There will also be a medical team at the finish line should you need assistance.

You may register as an individual, clydesdale (male 200 lbs+), athena (female 145 lbs+) or 2 person relay.

To sign up online, fill out the form below, click submit and proceed to the online store for payment. There is a $3.50 service charge for online registration. If you prefer to mail in your entry, please print the form below and mail to: Uphill Productions, 2104 Cuernavaca, Austin, TX 78733.

Fees:
thru 11/25 - $50
11/25-12/2 - $60
race day - $70
*RHR charges a $2 fee at the gate for everyone including spectators. This is a land maintenance fee which is seperate from your land access fee.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: XTerra courses? [Hairy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ouch! where'd you go over the handlebars? Hoping it was the plunge. My only fall this year was again while going uphill near the end of the bike course. Same as last year LOL. A low speed climb that I flew into hoping to use my momentum and ran out right near the top in the wrong gear. Couldn't unclip in time and fell right over, what a dummy:) You'll get the hang of the chain dropping thing, it's just not like the road where you can shift whenever and wherever you want. Shift early and you'll be okay.
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra courses? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which race did you do? do you have a link? Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra courses? [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go there :

www.schwarzsee-triathlon.ch
Quote Reply

Prev Next