Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XTERRA Maui HT or FS?
Quote | Reply
Long time mountain bikers here and I have been a big fan of XC racing on a SPECIALIZED S-Works Epic full suspension but seriously considering picking the S-Works Epic Hardtail (19 lbs) for a Maui specific bike.

For those that have done it, are the downhills fairly predictable? How about the climbing? I understand it is steep but it is it loose and or chunky?

Thoughts? Experiences?
Quote Reply
Re: XTERRA Maui HT or FS? [mavic517] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depends on how muddy it's going to be. i'd always prefer a FS. Maui is not a technical course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode a 29r hardtail the last 3 years. The downhills are easily navigated. No drops or anything technical. For climbing there are some semi steep sections but all dirt or asphalt at the beginning. Sorry I can't share my Garmin Data since isn't public. But there is about 3.5K feet of climbing and my fastest on the downhill was 27 mph. I'm not a great rider. If it rains hard then it is hike a bike. Two years ago I did more carrying of the bike than riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode a FS last year (24lbs), if i did it again i'd bring the same bike and not invest in something different.

I'm also just a participant at that level of racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having raced there 3 times, in both very dry and dusty conditions and super wet and muddy conditions, I would say the FS is the best bet. In the dry, it is so dusty, you might as well close your eyes while descending so the FS absorbs things better making unseen rocks or undulations less problematic. On the wet years, the better grip from the efficiency of the suspension seemed to help with traction at times, but as one other said, there is a lot of time hiking with the bike if you get stuck behind less technically proficient riders on the singletrack sections.

Overall, a good HT would be fine, but a good FS would be a bit better, IMO.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply