Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XP: Prolonged pain after vasectomy?
Quote | Reply
Hi - My boyfriend had a vasectomy 4 weeks ago and continues to be in extreme pain. He's a tri-athlete and hasn't been able to train as a result, which hasn't been great for his mental health either. His doctor tells him this can sometimes happen and he should be fine, but it seems unusual.

Would love any insight from other tri-athlete's that may have experienced the same prolonged healing situation to help re-assure him that he will get better at some point. Thanks!

(Marked as XP as I also posted something similar to the Women's forum)
Quote Reply
Re: XP: Prolonged pain after vasectomy? [jillana1978] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine was sore for less than the afternoon of the procedure. N=1 here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was sore for maybe 2 days. I took a week off training then was back at it without issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was sore for a few weeks also. The only exercise I was able to do was skate skiing and that was okay because we had good snow. I guess you do need to be careful about overdoing it after that procedure because patients often feel good and end up ripping out the sutures.

I was feeling concerned because I was uncomfortable for a while and did some research my understanding is there is a small minority of patients who do have long-term pain after the procedure but it is pretty small. Hopefully in the coming days just paying will subside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was at least five weeks before I could get on a bike. Mine was a dull, persistent pain for over four weeks. Frozen peas helped a lot (placing them over the area, not eating them). I've had friends who had almost zero pain and were riding two days afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: XP: Prolonged pain after vasectomy? [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monsieur Trois wrote:
It was at least five weeks before I could get on a bike. Mine was a dull, persistent pain for over four weeks. Frozen peas helped a lot (placing them over the area, not eating them). I've had friends who had almost zero pain and were riding two days afterwards.

Thank you for sharing - were you able to move around/walk normally or during that time did you minimize movement as much as possible? After 2 weeks of pain, my bf spent a week at home with minimal movement (and lots of frozen peas :))...started to feel better, went back to work and then the pain increased again.
Quote Reply
Re: XP: Prolonged pain after vasectomy? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
Mine was sore for a few weeks also. The only exercise I was able to do was skate skiing and that was okay because we had good snow. I guess you do need to be careful about overdoing it after that procedure because patients often feel good and end up ripping out the sutures.

I was feeling concerned because I was uncomfortable for a while and did some research my understanding is there is a small minority of patients who do have long-term pain after the procedure but it is pretty small. Hopefully in the coming days just paying will subside.

Thank you - fingers crossed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have him wear a supporter or support underwear 24/7. It is rare to have prolonged pain but wearing support is important to reduce discomfort. Trust me on that one, that is what the Urologist will say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve put off getting mine done for 2 years for exactly this fear ... that I’ll have a month of no exercise !

Aaaand secretly I’m hoping for one more baby :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I should keep this to myself.....

I was anxious to "try out the equipment" fairly soon after my vasectomy. I am convinced that it caused a suture to slip..... or something to that effect.

I developed a sperm granuloma, which is really just a collection of sperm that causes an inflammatory response. It was pretty darn painful and I will say that many years later, I still have a little lump in that area that is mildly uncomfortable but not really that troubling.

As painful as it was, and it did hurt, I don't remember having to take that much time off from training. Maybe my memory is bad.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: XP: Prolonged pain after vasectomy? [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had dull pain for 6wks or so. It was never worth complaining about and the pain was closer to the kidneys.
The bits they work with are anchored upstairs, so they pain was from moving the cables holding the bits rather than bits themselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had mine done in November. Took about 4 weeks before I felt comfortable exercising again. I still had some pain, and worried it might be premature, but it helped a lot. I started with a week of basically walking on the treadmill and easy spinning on the bike, and I think the super-easy exercise actually jump-started my recovery. I second the idea of finding the "right" underwear. I wound up finding just one set of boxer briefs that fit just right and basically washing them almost every night so I could wear them everyday for a couple weeks. I had a few weeks of panic thinking that I would be in pain forever, and worried about how slow everything was healing up, but it did work out in the end. Was about six weeks until I felt back to normal, and I still get twinges now and then, which are probably more mental than physical. For me, the mental aspect was at least as hard to deal with as the physical. So starting in with some easy workouts may help him mentally, which may help physically. Patience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't able to move around like I normally would. It was difficult to get off the couch and walk without pain. I wasn't working at the time so I had the luxury of sitting around a lot. I couldn't imagine trying to even sit upright at a desk like your boyfriend. Hopefully he feels better soon.
Quote Reply