Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XDR driver for slightly older Zipps
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys,

I have a pair of Zipp 808 Firecrests bought new in about 2015.

They have the V8 188 11 speed rear hub which I believe was used until about 2014.

I rang Zipp/SRAM and was told they have no plans to do an XDR driver for this hub (which I'm a little miffed about!!)

Has anyone found an XDR driver to fit this rear hub or has anyone managed to hack a driver onto it?

Does the Super 9 driver for 188 hubs fit at all?

If I have to get a new hub laced in, so be it but just thought I'd ask to see if anyone had found a way to make it work? Surely there is a way.....

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!!!
Quote Reply
Re: XDR driver for slightly older Zipps [physiodude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could probably have a machine shop make an XDR freehub body for about $600.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp hubs are mediocre at best - just have them lace up a new rear hub that is XD-R ready.

DT Swiss, White Industries, Chris King, Industry Nine - the list for the fancy hubs is long, or you can pick up a Bitex hub with XD-R freehub body on BikeHubStore for as little as $100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
physiodude wrote:
Has anyone found an XDR driver to fit this rear hub or has anyone managed to hack a driver onto it?

Does the Super 9 driver for 188 hubs fit at all?

I am asking myself exactly this question as I am currently converting a 188 from 10 to 11 and would prefer to swap it to xdr.

I found this very interesting information in the Zipp Hub Timeline:

ZIPP CURRENT BLACK DISC HUB 11 SPEED (2013 - )
In January 2013, a new black 11 speed disc hub replaced the silver 182 and 188 disc hubs. The flange shape and hub shell is the same, but the Super-9 hub has a wider non-drive flange spacing to accommodate the thicker disc. The road version free hubs are identical with the 11 speed 188 road hub and interchangeable. The different hubs are identified by their serial numbers prior to molding (click image to enlarge). A track axle conversion kit is planned for release in the summer.
Bearings
Hub = 1 x 61803, 1 x 61903
Free hub = 2 x 61803

Very tempted to try this out, unless I am misunderstanding something.
Quote Reply