Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XAero Lite vs. Rev X
Quote | Reply
Ok, I know they are very different wheels for different conditions. But if you could only have one or the other, (for a 650c tribike) for your only race wheels, what would it be? I have a chance to get either one, very close in price both either new or like new. Please help!

Thanks,

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: XAero Lite vs. Rev X [Chris in Balto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the RevX. More aero. Softer ride. Better hubs.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by TimeTrial.org [ In reply to ]
Re: XAero Lite vs. Rev X [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I think your points and the recent story from JP are helping make up my mind. I know that the Xaero lites have an issue that in rain/wet weather, the rims fill up with water and you have to remove the tires to drain them. But I didn't know about serious hub and bearing differences/problems and no help from anyone.

Again, this forum is helping me spend my money!

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Re: XAero Lite vs. Rev X [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary, did you have or know of any issues with the RevX wheels? Anything I would need to check or be aware of?

Thanks.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Re: XAero Lite vs. Rev X [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the RevX. More aero. Softer ride. Better hubs.
Say what? I've owned both wheelsets. RevX, more aero for sure. Softer ride? Better hubs? No way. The Xaero-Lites are the most comfortable training wheels I've ever been on. I can't recommend them enough. The Force10 hubs are very smooth. The only problem I've ever had with the Xaero-Lites is having to have them trued after being hit by the truck earlier this summer. Those 650 wheels are now in service on my wife's Cannondale feminine bike. I'll be putting some 700 Xaero-Lites on my new 700 tri-bike. I would race and train on these wheels in all applications except TTs/Tris/Dus, where I'll use a more aero wheel like H3s or 404s. If I could get past the seemingly non-aero PBO spokes I'd get a set of Tiliums to race on as a compliment to the Xaero-Lites. They are that comfortable. In fact, for IM racing, their (Tilium)comfort factor may outweigh any aero advantage (FOR ME!).
Quote Reply
Re: XAero Lite vs. Rev X [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have been very, very lucky if you have had no problems with you rear hub. You are in the minority.

Regarding the ride qualities: Yes, the carbon spokes of the Xaero's dampen the ride a bit. But the Rev-X remains the only wheel (short of a wheel built with the Pantour hub) to show significant vertical compliance. If your Xaero really flexed enough to absorb shock, the spokes would have chronic problems with loosening due to detensioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Gary, did you have or know of any issues with the RevX wheels? Anything I would need to check or be aware of?

Thanks.

no, they were great, should have kept them, worried about cracking at the rivets in time and wanted to put them on the market before (and if) they cracked, also wanted PBO spokes for a more plush ride

the Xaeros are nice however
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to second that on the Xaero lites, very comfortable. And, so far, mine have been pretty much bomb proof. I have over 5000 miles on them, with the worst problem being the rear hub coming a bit loose. I tightened it, and that was the end of the issue. Otherwise, I've only even had to true them once, and that was after hitting a nasty pothole at ~40mph on a descent. The wheel held up better than the tire and I did! In fact, I like them so much that I decided that comfort exceeded the need for the aero advantage, and have ridden them in my last 3 IMs. My average speed isn't appreciablly different than in previous races, and I've come off the bike much fresher. Now, the Tiliums...hmm, there's a thought, eh?
Quote Reply
Re: XAero Lite vs. Rev X [Lloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a coincidence...two related threads. I actually had the Rev-X's a few years back and loved them, they were very aero, and offered a plush ride. Mine were tubulars though and 700c. When I converted to 650c I sold my Rev-X's...too bad! My new bike came with Xaero Lites which for me was one of the selling features of the bike, I thought I was getting a lite, aero bike with very good wheels...the Xaero do have a nice ride and they are relatively light but I don't think they are very aero, certainly not as aero as the Rev-X. As for the quality issues of the Xaeros I guess it's like anything else, some wheels might have the problems and some might not, I was unfortunate enough to get the 'bad' wheels. As for Spinergy the company, they seem to be very hard to contact and not very willing to take my wheel back to look at it themselves. They told my bike shop they would send out a replacement hub over two months ago and they have yet to receive it. I am in the market for new 650c race wheels at the moment and Spinergy products are not even on my list.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for the valuable input. My understanding from JP's other post is that the hubs have been changed to a newer, better model. But for my other question..... Am I really far off using these for racing wheels? The $399 deal on this site's classifed ad is really a good deal, but not if I'm getting them for the wrong reasons. I just can't find anything better in 650c clincher or tubular for that price without going used. I like the idea of a warranty.

P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing as how there is so much Spinergy banter on this forum these days, I'll chime in: First, I think it needs to be clarified that there are THREE different wheels out there, Xaeros, Xaero-LITES, and Xaero-X's. Xaeros came first, using 16/20Hole configuration and used (in the original version) Edco hubs that can be identified by have "Spinergy" printed on the hub and/or a BLACK rubber seal ring between the Free Hub Body and Hub. Xaero-LITES, use 18/24Holes with a more box shape rim, and from inception used the US Mage w/Hadley internal hub systems. Xaero-X's use the same hubs and rim as the lites with steel spokes. I guarantee any confusion regarding rear hub issues is with the original version Xaeros. To answer JP's question, I would like to say that we are not hesitant to take a wheel back and examine it, but in order to more quickly service you, we try to have the shop do as much of the diagnosis/work as possible. If we just had every shop send back every wheel that needed work, the pipeline would jam VERY quickly. I would doubt they are waiting for a whole hub, the cost and labor involved would make it more prudent to buy a new wheel. If it's a Freehub body they've been waiting for, those have been delayed but we got a shipment in today. Keith@Spinergy
Last edited by: Keith Miller: Aug 29, 03 15:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy said,

"The only problem I've ever had with the Xaero-Lites is having to have them trued after being hit by the truck earlier this summer."

Wow... seems like most wheels wouldn't even be useable after such an accident.

Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris in Balto said,

"I know that the Xaero lites have an issue that in rain/wet weather, the rims fill up with water and you have to remove the tires to drain them."

I've use the Xaero Lites since last November... And, this has been the wetest tri training and race season in a long time. Yet, I have never had the rims fill up with water.

FWIW Joe Moya
Last edited by: Joe M: Aug 29, 03 17:50
Quote Reply