Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XAERO or Ksyrium?
Quote | Reply
I am in the market for a new rear wheel, and have settled down to either the XAERO Lite, or the Ksyrium Elite. I have narrowed it to between these two primarily for cost reasons, as we're expecting a baby in a few months, and I have a credit at Performance. I am happy with my front wheel, and I

My main concern is durability. I don't race a whole lot, maybe three, four times a year. I want a wheel that is gonna be tough on the less than perfect Illinois roads. I've been told the Ksyrium Elite is a good wheel, and that's where I am leaning, but don't know much about the XAERO.

Any insight toward the XAERO would help me. Is it as good, durability wise, as the Ksyrium? I weigh 160, and try to get in 100 miles a week or so when the weather is warm. This wheel will be on my bike all the time, so I need it to be able to handle that.

Thanks,

EB
Quote Reply
Re: XAERO or Ksyrium? [dotato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check out www.spinergy.com. We have a comparison between the Xaero Lite and the Krysirium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never tried the XAERO, but I do have a pair of Ksyriums on my road bike. The Ksyriums are about 2 years old, so may not be exactly the same as current models, but I think they are great; quite light and very durable. . I have used them for training, Criteriums and a couple Duathlons. I've put about 1500 miles on them and I have never had to true them. Pretty good considering I weigh over 170 lbs, and I also live in Illinois and routinely ride country roads that are less than perfect
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough call.... Both good wheels. The Spinergy is likely to be more comfortable. Remember, the Ksyrium Elite is a slightly less expensive version of the Ksyrium SSC SL which uses aluminum spokes among other differences from the Ksyrium Elite. I have had both and find the Spinergy Xaero to be the most comfortable riding wheels I've ever been on.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: XAERO or Ksyrium? [paul cusick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   If you are using these for training wheels, I recommend you look into a set of DA hubbed (or Campy if you're of that persuasion) Mavic Opens built with revolution spokes. You can even get the front laced radially if you are so inclined. You'll pay a lot less for an entire wheelset than the rear of either, and likely the resulting wheelset weight will be lighter. None of these wheels are especially aero so you won't be giving up anything there. You will definitely get a more durable wheel, made with standard parts more often supported at races and LBSs. Do you lose the cool factor? Yes. Then again there is something inherently cool in owning gear because of its real world features rather than submitting to marketing hype.

That said, I just bought a set of Xaero lites with the brand new Litespeed Saber I got and I absolutely love them. But if I hadn't gotten an exceptional deal on them I'd be on DA hubs and Open rims!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dotato,

I own a pair of Ksyrium SSC SL (2002)...I really like them. However, I'm selling them to fund my Zipp 909s which I ordered last week.

I hope this isn't improper forum etiquette, but here's the deal:

1. 2002 Ksyrium SSC SL Clinchers (Campy Hub Body)

2. 500 Total miles (I can prove it with my training/racing log).

3. Never crashed/outstanding condition

4. $550 for the pair, $600 with Vittoria Open Corsa CX (All Black) Tires (the tires have 120 miles on them--Ironman and a warm-up)

Feel free to contact me with any other questions.

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: XAERO or Ksyrium? [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a classified forum on the slowtwitch site... it would be more appropriate to post this message there

good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use them both and like them both for different reasons... The Ksyrium for it aerodynamics... The Xaero LITES for their C-O-M-F-O-R-T - comfort. IMHO, The Xaero(PBO spoke) is smooothest ride I've ever had on a wheel. Best Training wheel set I've owned.

It doesn't seem durability is an issue for either wheel. However, I did recieve my first of Xaero Lites damaged. The damage they endured was recoverable. Any other steel spoked wheel set would not have faired as well the Xaero's.

Joe Moya

BTW, a lot of LBS's don't talk good about Spinergy... seems to be a marketing/service issue. So, don't expect to get a good opinion from LBS's (at least that was what I ran into some 6-7 months ago). They may have something with regard to the service... but, the Xaero wheels are very good.
Quote Reply