Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: X/Y Rules in an Angular World [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
The Danish federation has just written on its homepage that riders with a height of 190 cm or more can get an additional 5 cm of distance to the end of the shifters, i.e. 85 cm in front of the BB. This should come from UCI and be effective from April 29th, 2014, i.e. this Tuesday.

Anyone heard anything about this? It seems really sudden and strange.

Yes. Send me your email address and I can forward you the UCI letter.

190cm riders get 85cm. I'm 189...

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: X/Y Rules in an Angular World [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
MTM wrote:
The Danish federation has just written on its homepage that riders with a height of 190 cm or more can get an additional 5 cm of distance to the end of the shifters, i.e. 85 cm in front of the BB. This should come from UCI and be effective from April 29th, 2014, i.e. this Tuesday.

-SD

Wear taller shoes.

Do they describe how they will be measuring everyone's height?
Quote Reply
Re: X/Y Rules in an Angular World [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they might, but i'd wait for the clarification of the clarification before measuring :)
Quote Reply
Re: X/Y Rules in an Angular World [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
MTM wrote:

-SD

Wear taller shoes.

Do they describe how they will be measuring everyone's height?

Yes:

"It is the responsibility of the teams and the National Federations to provide the UCI Equipment Unit with the name and the
height of all the concerned riders enough in advance. If in doubt, the commissaires have the
right to conduct checks to verify the height of the riders. The same procedure applies to all
the World Cups, World Championships and Olympic Games track events"

I'm 189, Huizenga is 185, why does he get the same 80cm rule? I have the wingspan of a glider. I could ride comfortably at 92cm. 85 is tight.

No way I can find 12cm.
Last edited by: SuperDave: Apr 25, 14 18:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:

This is the problem with living in a (largely) mathematically ignorant world. In a sensible world, you'd have zero extra length exemption under a certain threshold, full length exemption above a different threshold, and anywhere in between you get a proportional amount of extra length based on the amount over the lower threshold. It would be easy to implement as a chart or a table for those unable or unwilling to do algebra. But no...just one cutoff which screws over guys like you who are just below the line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is your saddle height, bb to saddle top, midway between fore/aft? where is your saddle nose v bb? how far behind?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: X/Y Rules in an Angular World [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
what is your saddle height, bb to saddle top, midway between fore/aft?
where is your saddle nose v bb?
how far behind?

In the photo above I have a Prologo Zero TT CPC saddle at 797mm c-t/c height 55mm behind the BB on 170mm cranks. Extensions are at 92 and that is my track bike without shifters.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
MTM wrote:

-SD

Thanks, though I think it's the same as Carlos Ferreiro already linked to?

This does seem pretty strange just months after changing the rules to be independent of any rider measurement and solely dependent on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm asking because i thought maybe saddle height + 5cm = to BB to bar end might do it. in your case, saddle height + 5cm = about 85cm. your setback would give you saddle nose to bar end of about 90cm. i would've thought that would've been enough for just about anybody.

your wingspan isn't going to make THAT much of a difference. just your forearm, really. your upper arm is going to increase your drop, but not so much your length.

just, to be sure, you're 92cm is BB to bar end, right? not saddle nose to bar end?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, from BB.

I have a disadvantage of riding a slack seat angle steep head angle bike.

The mass start 5cm rule pretty much relegates me out of any National level track racing for me anymore. I'd need to go from a 140mm stem to a 90mm. I could go up a frame size (at $5000 for a tk1 frame) and get away with only shortening the reach 3cm. That's still a compromised position and huge expense for a couple races.

It's easier to just wait for the rules to swing back in my favor or for races to be held where I know the officials will be reasonable with enforcing the spirit of the position requirements.

SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you could always just ride the kilo ;-) then you can move the saddle even with the BB. but that's a very different skillset.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might be the first guy to ever be caught if I raced the kilo.

SD

Quote Reply

Prev Next