Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

X-post: Do slow riders get the same total time savings from aero gear as fast ones?
Quote | Reply
Just saw this interesting question on BT and wondered what the ST take is on it:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/...mp;posts=10#M3631936

I've heard a lot on BT and elsewhere that slow cyclists get the same total time savings as the fast guys (22+mph) because they're on the course longer and thus get the same overall time savings. Alternatively on roadie forums, you'll hear some folks staunchly say that aero-benefits like wheels don't really give significant benefits in until you're hitting fast speeds like 22+mph.

Basically, he's asking whether slow cyclists get the same total time savings as fast riders from aero gear.

What's the ST take?
Quote Reply
Re: X-post: Do slow riders get the same total time savings from aero gear as fast ones? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
faster riders save more watts
slower riders save more seconds
Quote Reply
Re: X-post: Do slow riders get the same total time savings from aero gear as fast ones? [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:
faster riders save more watts
slower riders save more seconds

So should pro marathoner (runner) teams make bike-style professional draftlines to pull the lead runner for the win? Seems like they should if they (they run at 12mph, which is as fast as a 'slow rider') save more seconds!
Quote Reply
Re: X-post: Do slow riders get the same total time savings from aero gear as fast ones? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
according to katch physiology book, runners can save up to 7% of their energy drafting behind someone else.

so unless its really hot outside where you need a breeze, it would be wise to draft even on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I beleive that if you take the time saved with a certain piece of gear, the slower rider saved or gained a larger amount of time using the same piece of gear because he is on the course longer? Time savings accumulate longer. Yes,,,,no?

It takes more watts increase to go from 24 to 25 then it does from 15-16, yet the slower rider gained a larger percentage. 1/24th compared to 1/15th.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don't save the same amount of time.

The slow rider saves more absolute time. The fast rider saves a greater percentage of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They already do this. Watch any of the top runners who are going for a WR - they have pacers, whom they often draft off of... Drafting on the run is extremely effective, I am always surprised how few people do this (well or otherwise) in races.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: X-post: Do slow riders get the same total time savings from aero gear as fast ones? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In races I always look for runners to draft. Extra benefit if she's got a good pace booty (helps the mental as well as physical (not a joke)).

Never in training, though. Train hard and pissed off. Race hard and happy.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
What's the ST take?

Believe half of what you read on ST,
believe less on the roadie forums,
don't believe anything on BT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The time savings equations are not linear as you move through different speeds. Therefore, there is no correct answer to your question. As you begin to make some assumptions (or get real data points like watts or speed or weight or drag coefficient, etc.) you can begin to make generalizations. The more assumptions you make about your "slow" and "fast" bikers, the less general you would have to be.
Quote Reply
Re: X-post: Do slow riders get the same total time savings from aero gear as fast ones? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from 15mph to 30mph the answer is the same

probably from 10 to 40mph too.

SH wrote:
The time savings equations are not linear as you move through different speeds. Therefore, there is no correct answer to your question. As you begin to make some assumptions (or get real data points like watts or speed or weight or drag coefficient, etc.) you can begin to make generalizations. The more assumptions you make about your "slow" and "fast" bikers, the less general you would have to be.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Later!

Brian

Swim. Bike. Run. Repeat as necessary.
Welcome to the Church of Briantriology!
Quote Reply
Re: X-post: Do slow riders get the same total time savings from aero gear as fast ones? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
They already do this. Watch any of the top runners who are going for a WR - they have pacers, whom they often draft off of... Drafting on the run is extremely effective, I am always surprised how few people do this (well or otherwise) in races.

AP

I got weird looks for doing this at a half marathon earlier this year. It was really windy, and I either echelon drafted (which at running speeds is like right behind and next to someone's shoulder) or tucked in right behind for headwinds. Worked really well up until about 7.5 miles when the race started to thin out, plus the race had turned so the previous headwinds were now tails and I struck out on my own for the remainder of the race. Overall probably my best paced stand alone running race, although it also helped that I got to the start late and had to meander through slow people for the first mile or two, kept me from taking off too fast as well.

That being said, at non windy races I don't pay nearly as much attention to it. Not running fast enough to make a huge impact (1:33:xx open half, at that above mentioned race, still my fastest time).

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Re: X-post: Do slow riders get the same total time savings from aero gear as fast ones? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know much about when the aero affects of wheels and helmets really kick in. I will say that 10-15mph seems lower than I would have thought.
Quote Reply
Re: X-post: Do slow riders get the same total time savings from aero gear as fast ones? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
lightheir wrote:
What's the ST take?

Believe half of what you read on ST,
believe less on the roadie forums,
don't believe anything on BT.

You may want to actually and go read the thread over there, the responses are much more thoughtful and insightful then here. Not uncommon really as responses like your takes up 95% of ST threads.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: X-post: Do slow riders get the same total time savings from aero gear as fast ones? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:

I have no idea what point you are trying to make; the bottom line is that for a given CdA reduction, a faster athlete will save a greater percentage of their overall time while a slower athlete will save more total time.

Shane
Quote Reply