Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

X-Ray Carbon frame
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I was hit by a car while training for IM Texas. I was riding my Cervelo P5. There was damage to the rear derailleur, Aduro Aerobars, pedals and rear wheel. All of this is easy to replace. I looked at he frame and the only damage I see is on the left seat stay. I've tried my best to get good pictures. Let me know what you think about the damage? Concerning? I think the damage was caused by a broken spoke during the accident.
From reading I see that many caution about invisible carbon damage. I was wondering if anyone here has used any type of imaging equipment to help determine the damage? I think I might have access to an X-Ray machine (as some suggested) but then I'm not sure if I (or a doctor) can look a the images and determine if there is an issue anywhere?
I have since then purchased a new P5 and I'm trying to decide what to do with old bike. I can't in clear conscience sell it to anyone even if I disclose that the bike was involved in an accident. I was thinking about fixing this bike up and using it on my bike trainer since it has the same geometry as my new P5.

https://drive.google.com/...R0S/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/...fUQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/...Q_k/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/...ghU/view?usp=sharing

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: X-Ray Carbon frame [danen1973] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X-ray won't tell you much. It requires the use of a dye to penetrate the cracks, and not only is this going to be difficult to accomplish on your bike, but if there aren't any surface cracks it won't be able to show internal damage. If you're concerned, send it to someone like Calfee and they will use ultrasound to inspect it, and they can do any repair if necessary. This inspection isn't something you can do yourself unless you have prior experience, unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Re: X-Ray Carbon frame [danen1973] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly If it were my bike I’d probably ride it, but I’d be completely guessing that it’s ok. I’m with you, I wouldn’t feel good about selling it. I guess unless I went out and put another 500 miles on t to be sure, but even then... not sure I’d sell it. I think the trainer bike option is a good idea.

On another note, I have a spare set of new Aduro aerobars sitting around; PM me if you need them still.

Re: X-Ray Carbon frame [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
X-ray won't tell you much. It requires the use of a dye to penetrate the cracks, and not only is this going to be difficult to accomplish on your bike, but if there aren't any surface cracks it won't be able to show internal damage. If you're concerned, send it to someone like Calfee and they will use ultrasound to inspect it, and they can do any repair if necessary. This inspection isn't something you can do yourself unless you have prior experience, unfortunately.
You don't need a dye for X-ray structural analysis of composites. Most of the time the parts you'd be interested in (like inter laminar voids) won't be accessible to the dye anyways.

Chances are the OP is going to use a medical X-ray machine it may not have the proper wavelength for the wall thickness of a bike chain stay. If he wants to get it checked with X-ray it needs to be done by an expert using appropriate equipment for the job.

Looking at the pics, it seems there may be some substantial surface damage which looks repearable to me. What happens when you tap on it with a coin? Before deciding what to do you may want to send your pix to a carbon repair company like Calfee and get their input. After all you'll want to disclose the 'status' to the buyer when you sell it (unless you keep it for yourself).
Quote Reply