Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

X-Lab Stealth 100 Vs Dark speed works
Quote | Reply
I have a P3 and need to get a top tube mounted aero bag. Cant decide between the two.

My only concern with the DSW is that it is slightly wider than the X-Lab and it may protrude a bit either side of the top tube.

Anyone using any of these with a P3?

Some suggestions would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Stealth 100 Vs Dark speed works [Paolo55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paolo55 wrote:
I have a P3 and need to get a top tube mounted aero bag. Cant decide between the two.

My only concern with the DSW is that it is slightly wider than the X-Lab and it may protrude a bit either side of the top tube.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Paolo55,

You also want to make sure the height of the bag matches the height of the stem.

I personally use the Stealth 100 on my P2 and it is actually slightly narrower than the top tube which is good. The more gels/bars you stuff in the bag the wider the bag will get potentially and you don't want to be rubbing on the bag. I will let others chime in as I am biased :) but just my 2 cents.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paolo55 wrote:
I have a P3 and need to get a top tube mounted aero bag. Cant decide between the two. My only concern with the DSW is that it is slightly wider than the X-Lab and it may protrude a bit either side of the top tube. Anyone using any of these with a P3?

There are lots of folks on this forum that have used both types of top tube packs (the Speedpack 480, and the xlab). Hopefully, these athletes will chime in and give you the real-world feedback you need. We also have a page with some comments that we've gotten. Xlab sells lots of cool products, but if you look at the features of each of these packs, it's pretty clear that the two products are radically different, with totally different designs, shapes, materials, zippers, capacities, etc. And, unless your knees consistently hit your top tube, I don't think you'll have a problem with the size of the Speedpack 480, we use a special custom-shaped plastic insert that maintains that pack's shape, even when it's filled to capacity. If it helps, here is a pic of a P3 with a Speedpack 480.

A final note, we actually make our own products (here in the US), and that's kind of a rarity these days.

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 21, 13 13:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the DSW 480 I purchased a year ago (the XLAV was not available then). I ride it on a P2 and absolutely love it. The width has never been a problem since there are so man straps and, when trimmed and tightened properly, the bag does not move or rub the knees. I can fit 7 gels and a bag of salt/caffeine pills without the bag bulging. Before this bag, I used an AKona bio speed pack with a Velcro flap that closes the top. Any ride over 25 miles and the inside of my knees would be raw. Highly recommend the DSW.

Don't think I'm too bias, I use XLAB stuff as well (torpedo, sonic wing, saddle bag). Both companies make great products.

Proudly Team BSR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use DSW on my P3.
I was very concerned about knee rub before purchase, particularly since I ride a size 48. I've had no issues whatsoever.
And DSW has ridiculously awesome customer service ... sent me a minor upgrade just because I was on their customer list; I had never contacted them after my order.

Haven't used the X-Lab Stealth product. Completely happy with my DSW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paolo55 wrote:

I have the DSW. At Cabo I had it filled with a can of pitstop, spare tube, 2 co2's, tire wrenches and some Pre race pills. It was a little wide but had no problems with my knee hitting it at all. I would def recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Stealth 100 Vs Dark speed works [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated.

Greg and Candice it's really nice to see interest from manufacturers for even such a small item.

However I have made my choice, and I welcome myself to the Dark Side. ( I do however have a few other X-Lab products and are very happy with them)
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Stealth 100 Vs Dark speed works [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:

I have the DSW. At Cabo I had it filled with a can of pitstop, spare tube, 2 co2's, tire wrenches and some Pre race pills. It was a little wide but had no problems with my knee hitting it at all. I would def recommend it.

I'm impressed you could squeeze that much in. I use my 483 for nutrition only; works great on my P3. For my last IM, I had 6 fig newtons, 2 clif blok packages, and about 5 gels and it was bulging.

Maybe I'll need to try being more creative for shorter races where I don't need my rear hydration/bag.
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Stealth 100 Vs Dark speed works [dano-oly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah the key was using electrical tape to make the spare super tight. Took a few tries but I eventually got it.
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Stealth 100 Vs Dark speed works [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also use the DSW on my P2. Doesn't get in the way and blends in well with the look of the bike. I manage to squeeze plenty o' items in it too.
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Stealth 100 Vs Dark speed works [ctbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the spacer and stem choice would change the look, but I'm curious to see what either looks like on a P3...a 51 P3 would be eve better.
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Stealth 100 Vs Dark speed works [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSUfan4444 wrote:
I know the spacer and stem choice would change the look, but I'm curious to see what either looks like on a P3...a 51 P3 would be even better.

Here you go, this is a good one but I'd consider running the shifter cables under one or both of the front straps.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Stealth 100 Vs Dark speed works [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is my 51 P2 with the Stealth Pocket 100. Sorry don't have a P3 :)

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg -

Do you have a distributor in the UK?

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the DSW on my older P3 Alu. My knees touch it on occasion, but never enough to be an issue.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
LSUfan4444 wrote:
I know the spacer and stem choice would change the look, but I'm curious to see what either looks like on a P3...a 51 P3 would be even better.

Here you go, this is a good one but I'd consider running the shifter cables under one or both of the front straps.

Like so. That is a 54 though, not a 51. I don't think I've ever hit the DSW with my knees.
Quote Reply