Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

X-Lab Sonic Wing fit question for ISM AND P2/P3 owners
Quote | Reply

How is that for narrowing your audience? But wait it gets better (or worse). Do any of you with a Cervelo P3/P2C, who ride an ISM/Adamo saddle with the built in transition hook, use an X-lab sonic wing with the leg (as it is shaped like an L) turned down and the wing in its most horizontal position? I'm even tired after typing that. Would like to run this carrier, and trying to figure out if it will fit on my bike. I'll go ahead and step out predicting a low response to this thread, but I thought I would give it a shot.

Life IS an endurance sport. Finish Well
www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Sonic Wing fit question for ISM AND P2/P3 owners [plainsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have a p3c with the same ism saddle and would like to know the same thing. Tim
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Sonic Wing fit question for ISM AND P2/P3 owners [cervelorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A comment! And Tim keeps the thread alive! Okay, now that we have a virtual mob clamoring to know if this device will fit, surely some of our gurus from the retail world can help us out! Tom Demerly, where are you?

www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Sonic Wing fit question for ISM AND P2/P3 owners [plainsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And back to the top for the Thursday morning early birds!

www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the carbon sonic wing on my P3. I run mine with the leg pointing upwards. I have had a quick look and think that the hook on the saddle will stop you having the sonic wing parallel. i think that you could run it using the middle bolt hole so that it would angle down slightly to avoid the hook.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this help?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's easier to use the Cervelo provided mounting holes, but I've just switched to the TurboWing. I Like the way it tucks into the saddle better than others I've tried. Here it is on my P2C behind my Adamo Break Way:

Get one here:

http://www.trisports.com/...ydration-system.html

(and use my discount code ;) )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I can eat 21 plus a deep-fried turkey!"
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Sonic Wing fit question for ISM AND P2/P3 owners [Mr. Blonde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you racking your bike - from the nose? I went away from the sonic wing when I got my ISM saddle as I bought it for the "hook" and comfort.

I found it difficult to un-rack my bike from its nose because of the height of the 24oz water bottles and getting them under the rack.

I went to a frame-mounted bottle and a horizontal aero bar-mounted bottle. I then use a super-small saddle bag mounted on the front side of the seat post tucked up under the nose so that I can utilize the hook and have better access to my water bottles. Plus, I have ejected too many bottles out of the sonic wing!

--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Sonic Wing fit question for ISM AND P2/P3 owners [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More Cowbell wrote:
How are you racking your bike - from the nose? I went away from the sonic wing when I got my ISM saddle as I bought it for the "hook" and comfort.

I found it difficult to un-rack my bike from its nose because of the height of the 24oz water bottles and getting them under the rack.

I went to a frame-mounted bottle and a horizontal aero bar-mounted bottle. I then use a super-small saddle bag mounted on the front side of the seat post tucked up under the nose so that I can utilize the hook and have better access to my water bottles. Plus, I have ejected too many bottles out of the sonic wing!

--

That's the TurboWing on mine, not Sonic Wing. With the Gorilla cages, I've yet to lose a bottle. I think this in part due to the cages themselves and also the angle at which the cages mount on the Turbo Wing. As far as racking, I hear ya. It's a problem for many behind-the-seat systems. Actually I haven't raced with this set-up yet, but the bottles sit pretty low, so it should be OK. I'll probably hang it on the rack by the nose, but I've done that with previous bottle holders.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was curious about this as well. On my p2 and with my saddle mounted on the back hole, I'm not able to get my cages to attach at the top and the bottom. I'm only able to get the bottom screw in with the cages angled and touching the back of the saddle.

I think the angle of the cages is fine, but my cages aren't tightly secured and could drop down some.

Michael
http://www.ironmanweightloss.com
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Sonic Wing fit question for ISM AND P2/P3 owners [Mr. Blonde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Blonde wrote:
I know it's easier to use the Cervelo provided mounting holes, but I've just switched to the TurboWing. I Like the way it tucks into the saddle better than others I've tried. Here it is on my P2C behind my Adamo Break Way:

Get one here:

http://www.trisports.com/...ydration-system.html

(and use my discount code ;) )
I have to get my new (used) p2/adamo kitted for the season, pray tell does one have to drill holes for that turbowing?

If yes, do you remember what a guy would pay for that?
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Sonic Wing fit question for ISM AND P2/P3 owners [Rufus T.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No drilling required. At least not for mine and I would assume for most set-ups.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Granted I'm an idiot, but it looks like that top screw goes therough the seat post and there isn't a an existing hole there.

I'd love a close up pic if you have one.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Sonic Wing fit question for ISM AND P2/P3 owners [Rufus T.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Granted I'm an idiot"

It's not my intention to prove you right :).......but, I'm pretty sure that the fixing plate held by those two bolts is attached to the seat rails only, not through the seatpost!
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Sonic Wing fit question for ISM AND P2/P3 owners [atomic916] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of course, it all seems so clear now I didn't even consider that as an option, thank you

I guess depending on seat position this wing isn't always an option?

or your arse position, I could see how this rig might be uncomfortable if you move back in the saddle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed, atomic916 is correct. The holder mounts to the seat rails. Given the configuration options, I really can't imagine a seat position that would exclude it's use. Even if you have your saddle all the way forward on the rails, past the "max" mark, the xlab can be mounted on the angled part of the rail. I mounted it on the horizontal part so I could get it as close to my backside as possbile. However, I never sit back far enough that it's a problem.

EDITL: OK, I forgot that in this picture it IS mounted on the angled part of the rail. I recently changed it.
Last edited by: Mr. Blonde: Apr 8, 11 11:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the mounting on the horizontal rail is what threw me I think, cause I don't know the configuration well enough to know that one could slip a bracket beteen rail and seatpost.

thanks again, I'm going to give this wing some additonal consideration as it looks like (to my untrained eye) it would be more aero than the Cervelo specific mount
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Sonic Wing fit question for ISM AND P2/P3 owners [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input. Where am I racking my bike? That's the big question. My saddle is too tall to rack by the nose of the saddle, or the adamo saddle "hook." I have 2 issues with racking by the brake levers - one, I've seen people get sloppy in transition, and come back to find bars overlapping or at the least really wedged in. For longer races I like an aerodrink for now, which prevents racking that way. Personal preference though, I prefer to rack from the saddle side. The reason I want this mount, and want to mount it with the leg down AND in its most horizontal position is so I can use it as a transition hook too.

www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does any of your x-lab wing rattle? With my adamo and sonic wing it rattles like crazy and drives me nuts. I ended up taking my wing off and said the hell with it.
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab Sonic Wing fit question for ISM AND P2/P3 owners [pezmel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up needing my xlab flipped upside down. Works great now.

Michael
http://www.ironmanweightloss.com
Quote Reply