Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wurf to ITU
Quote | Reply
In his post Kona blog post Cam mentioned switching over to ITU style racing for a while, has anyone heard anything more about this? Would be real fun to see what he can do on the bike course, and prob good for his opening swim speed if he can latch on to a group.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
In his post Kona blog post Cam mentioned switching over to ITU style racing for a while, has anyone heard anything more about this? Would be real fun to see what he can do on the bike course, and prob good for his opening swim speed if he can latch on to a group.

Come on, he is just trolling, and you fell hard for it.

He cant swim or run nearly fast enough for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha.. he got you!
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In that case I will crawl embarrassed back to my pain cave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He mentioned in a video with AMP Human that he wants to go to the Olympics next year:

He's listed on the start list for the Santo Domingo ITU World Cup in November: https://www.triathlon.org/...lon_world_cup/339013
Last edited by: cxrider: Oct 17, 19 1:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:

He is on the start list for Santa Domingo world cup early December, so not a joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that’s awesome! Look forward to watching that

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wurf will do some damage on the bike leg. Bike handling comes into the equation in ITU, and he's got a massive advantage. Willing to bet that he's down to race all the big crits in Melbourne this summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He mentioned it in the Kona post-race press conference. He said he wants to try to get a slot for the 2020 Olympics, and that he will need to work (a lot) on his swim for ITU races.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
End of season world cups are never as strong fields as earlier in the year. There are no big swim bikers on the start which will be a big advantage for him. Couple of pretty good runners listed though.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given the way the ITU works and what a closed shop the Aussie team has been historically, I don't give Cam a chance in hell of getting Olympic selection . Politics rules and Cam is an interloper on the ITU stage.Stranger things have happened and I'll be very interested to see how he performs in the World Cup race as it has some better than average athletes racing a few of whom have been racing Super League as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's purely to work on his swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely thought it was a troll job on Macca, but now that hes actually entered in an ITU race (however weak) I'm thinking he might have actually been somewhat serious (about using an ITU focus to improve his weaknesses - not actually getting to the olympics).
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Aus aren't looking for him to podium at the Olympics but to help someone else he may have a small chance. One Aus guy only has been on the WTS podiums in the last few years, no one else appears a lock in. Why send someone to finish in top 20 if someone else can likely help get a country podium. In saying this I don't think Aus has ever used domestiques before so don't really know if they would be for or against this idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42x16ss wrote:
Wurf will do some damage on the bike leg. Bike handling comes into the equation in ITU, and he's got a massive advantage. Willing to bet that he's down to race all the big crits in Melbourne this summer.

OMG, this is so funny. He won't even be in the first pack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cam is in dire need of a copy editor.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the bigger question is can he actually score points? He's going to be low out of the water, have only 55 mins to play catch up and then hold on with the run?

Now if he can actually make the qualifying points he'd be hell of a domestique. He's going to be up against 2 of the top 10 runners in the sport w/ McElroy and Pearson. Pearson likely will with Hemming make front group. McElroy less likely to be guranteed front pack swimmer.

An 1:50 race he must come within 5mins30s of the winner to score points

An 1:45 race he must come within 5mins15s of winner to score points

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Top 140 olympic ranking is required to make Olympics.

140th right now is ranked w/ 564 points.

World Cups get 500 points max for winner.

I mean I get why he didnt race before Kona, but this pathway should have been done after last year's Kona. I dont think he's going to have enough events to actually get the required ranking.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the only question is will he be close enough in the swim to get into 2nd pack this time out. I think he swims better than his ironman swims have shown, so perhaps the shorter distance will be better for him. And as he said, now it will be a heavy swim focus, not like he doesnt know how to swim properly, so some sprint fitness could go a long way.

With that out of the way and a huge ?? for this first race, how much time can he make up on his own in the first 10 miles on the group, if any at all? I would assume if it is a technical course, he could take a big chunk very early, a kind of all out effort, with the carrot of getting a draft to recover. It is what he is used to doing when he biked raced, so wouldnt worry about him overcooking too much.

So if he can get to a pack, even merge with the lead group at some point, I think he maybe only loses 3 minutes or less on the 10k, so scoring some points. If he ever gets his swim down to where he can bridge up quickly, he may even have a chance to form breaks on the bike, in which case he moves up the ladder. He would be a perfect domestic if he ever got to that level. And as you said, seems like they could use one, and he gets his olympic dream slot..
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 mins back likely gets 22nd-28th I’d guess. But a wurf led chase group would help McElroy and Birth, Mola too if he doesn’t make front big time in Tokyo. He’s only going to be able to ride as fast as Birth can hang on, so pretty much any chase athlete would hope like hell he qualifies and is picked. Gives them more firepower.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who is so naive to think that he will try to qualify for Tokyo? It is just a shot to gain some speed in his training. Nevertheless, I am impressed hes raced so much, and seems like he has not beennjured (except for the bike crash) in the entire season.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who is so naive to think that he will try to qualify for Tokyo?//

Well that is what he said he intends to do. He likes to talk a lot of trash when it comes to competitors, but he has always been serious about his race goals. You could have said the same thing when he said he was going to do 8 ironmans in a year, or race one 3 weeks before Kona, but he did all that and more. I have no doubt that this is his plan, the first swim will be the telling point on whether it will be a possibility or not..No one is naive here, but someone might be misinformed as to his goals?
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Australia isn’t strong enough not to go with this strategy if they wanted too.

With your theory I’d go more with “racevacation” than I would some swim break through. He doesnt need itu to go come out last 10 of the water to know he’s not fast. Especially in a 3 week time frame minus his A world champ event.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well he did just beat Brownlee... pink

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But the more pressing issue is he’d only be chosen as 3rd guy. No way he would make an MTR and currently Aussie is In for 3 males but right on cut line. Basically opposite of US right now, Aussie is barely in w 3, US barely out w 3.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next