Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run)
Quote | Reply
Pretty awesome win by Cam Wurf in Cannes and crazy awesome ride by halo man Don:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...win_Cannes_7229.html

Wurf took the lead on the bike and held off some some solid runners. Tim Don who weighs almost "nothing" had a really awesome ride too on the hilly Cannes course and came into T2 not far from Wurf. Congrats to both of these guys:

Men

1. Cameron Wurf (AUS) 4:24:46 S 22:55 T1 1:32 B 3:00:22 T2 1:15 R 58:40
2. Tim Don (GBR) 4:26:45 S 21:40 T1 1:10 B 3:02:14 T2 1:23 R 1:00:16
3. Phillip Koutny (SUI) 4:28:49 S 22:37 T1 1:32 B 3:05:09 T2 1:29 R 58:00
4. Sam Laidlow (FRA) 4:31:26 S 20:34 T1 1:18 B 3:06:13 T2 1:05 R 1:02:14
5. Théo Debard (FRA) 4:33:24 S 24:15 T1 1:20 B 3:08:51 T2 1:25 R 57:31
6. Thomas Navarro (FRA) 4:35:57 S 25:47 T1 1:48 B 3:08:58 T2 1:03 R 58:19
7. Tyler Butterfield (BER) 4:37:42 S 23:23 T1 1:36 B 3:15:42 T2 1:46 R 55:13
8. Charles Bouin (FRA) 4:41:06 S 27:38 T1 2:16 B 3:12:14 T2 1:10 R 57:46
9. Clement Mignon (FRA) 4:41:41 S 22:05 T1 2:00 B 3:19:54 T2 1:38 R 56:01
10. Mathieu Gallet (FRA) 4:43:36 S 22:45 T1 1:44 B 3:19:51 T2 1:24 R 57:51
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 5, 19 6:26
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a bike heavy course and Wurfs run was nothing special. A lot of guys were faster and the best runners weren’t even there. Still a very good effort but I still have my doubts if he can compete on regular distances against the worlds elite.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [Sebi76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sebi76 wrote:
It was a bike heavy course and Wurfs run was nothing special. A lot of guys were faster and the best runners weren’t even there. Still a very good effort but I still have my doubts if he can compete on regular distances against the worlds elite.

I guess if you want to dismiss Tim Don at 7:40 for the full IM distance as non elite, then that's your choice:

https://www.on-running.com/...ironman-world-record

Bottom line he beat Don (and outran him, after, perhaps, Tim went too deep to the well on the bike).
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Breaking news! Ex cyclist wins bike heavy triathlon.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Sebi76 wrote:

I guess if you want to dismiss Tim Don at 7:40 for the full IM distance as non elite, then that's your choice:

https://www.on-running.com/...ironman-world-record

Bottom line he beat Don (and outran him, after, perhaps, Tim went too deep to the well on the bike).

Tim had the slowest run in the top 10, Wurf had the second slowest. Butterfield outran Wurf by 2.5 minutes. I would hold off before I proclaim that Wurf has figured the run out. Tim Don's bike relative to Wurfs is far more impressive than Wurfs run IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like Tim Don and his recovery from what looked like a career ending injury has been absolutely amazing. That being said, he has not quite shown that he is back to the “elite” form that he was in 2017 yet. If anything I think he looks great in this race. Wurf was 9th at Kona and Don was 35 minutes back in 36th place

As for Wurf. I personally don’t think he’s a solid podium threat for Kona yet. Bozzone (who I think was coming off an injury) ran him down at Western Australia from ~5 minutes back. That being said, he continues to improve and will play a factor in Kona for sure. It’ll be interesting if anyone can hang on with him on the bike to gap the main pack. And if slows down ‘lets’ people stay with him so he can work with them as well as save some more for the run. But lots of stuff between now an October so no reason to get ahead of ourselves and not enjoy the races until then

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Apr 21, 19 13:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was barely 73F. Wurfy's best runs all happen in non-Kona like conditions. If wants to win at Kona he needs to race somewhere that is hot and humid with a good performance. Putting up good performances in great conditions is irrelevant.

Also, Don...came back from a life altering crash, a never gonna be the same type event. He's 41.

Wurf is 35. Give me a freakin' break with these titles.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Apr 21, 19 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Was barely 73F. Wurfy's best runs all happen in non-Kona like conditions. If wants to win at Kona he needs to race somewhere that is hot and humid with a good performance. Putting up good performances in great conditions is irrelevant.

Also, Don...came back from a life altering crash, a never gonna be the same type event. He's 41.

Wurf is 35. Give me a freakin' break with these titles.

I never said anything about Kona. Don had a great bike (look how much faster Don was vs Tyler Butterfield) and Cam held Don off during the run. Both had a great day
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 21, 19 18:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough crowd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wurf is still improving his run, and with the lead he had probably wasn’t going all out.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess from my side, it was exciting to see both have a good day.

What was really interesting was that Don at 140 lbs when the bike course gets really hilly (watts per kilo course) he can basically bike with the Kona course record holder. When its a watt/CdA course like Kona, Don is less of a bike threat (he's actually off the back in Kona). But there is a cost to drilling the bike and Tim looks like he had a sub par run even given his crash/recovery. He's had better runs since the crash if I recall.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:

As opposed to what, some 30 foot per mile snooze fest or draft fest?

Like bowling with the gutter guards in place.

Not being able to do 22mph on 200w isn’t fun? Poor baby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wurf will win kona. He is more driven than most kona pros

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

Wurf would need a crazy windy day like the Stadler style Kona 2004 day when even Peter Reid was barely 5 hours. Wurf literally needs 25 minutes at T2 on Lange. This can only happen on a crazy windy day when the lightweights get blown all over the place. Or Wurf's run gets to 2:50 in Kona. If he can run 2:50 he can win on most days in Kona regardless of how little wind there is.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Wurf is still improving his run, and with the lead he had probably wasn’t going all out.

Didn't they basically get off the bike together?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
PJC wrote:

Wurf would need a crazy windy day like the Stadler style Kona 2004 day when even Peter Reid was barely 5 hours. Wurf literally needs 25 minutes at T2 on Lange. This can only happen on a crazy windy day when the lightweights get blown all over the place. Or Wurf's run gets to 2:50 in Kona. If he can run 2:50 he can win on most days in Kona regardless of how little wind there is.
I’m going in on the Wurf bandwagon for Kona too. He’ll always be “in” the race with his swim and bike, but a few years to work in the run and I think he has his day. That’s assuming no burnout or injury, but Wurf seems to enjoy being the heel in the tri world, and I think he enjoys it. Hope he commits many future years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to Wurf @ IM Australia in a few weeks. Honest (slow) bike course should suit him.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have anything against bike heavy triathlons if that's what you're implying.
I'm just saying it's not a surprise that this kind of format suits someone like Wurf. I just don't think it's indicative of him winning Kona or duking it out with the real runners out there.

burnthesheep wrote:
trailerhouse wrote:

As opposed to what, some 30 foot per mile snooze fest or draft fest?

Like bowling with the gutter guards in place.

Not being able to do 22mph on 200w isn’t fun? Poor baby.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel sorry for those that dont believe in drive

PJC wrote:
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Apr 22, 19 4:30
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus, he's fun to follow on social media. I'm on the Wurf train and hope he continues to crush it!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has won more Ironmans in the last 3 years than 90% on those on the start line in Kona in the last 3 years.

He isn’t scared of hard work and he enjoys the spot.

Look at someone like Potts. Top guy. Wins heaps. Top 10 kona heaps of times. Trains in a shed. Sanders the same. Deep down there is no way these guys enjoy what they are doing. That are just very good at the sport.

Wurf enjoys what he is doing. Mentally I think he is in a much better spot than a lot of other pros.

My god. Look at his Strava locations. He is training, racing, and living like big time.

He is no mark allen that’s for sure. But yes he could get a bad wind year. His run is coming down.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His twitter comment on a photo of him & Tim Don next to each other on a climb was pretty funny...

He is looking across at Tim & smiling - Tim looks pretty serious.

Wurf posted: "That's me telling Tim if he follows me on the bike I'll just outrun him"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
He has won more Ironmans in the last 3 years than 90% on those on the start line in Kona in the last 3 years.

Look at someone like Potts. Top guy. Wins heaps. Top 10 kona heaps of times. Trains in a shed. Sanders the same. Deep down there is no way these guys enjoy what they are doing. That are just very good at the sport.

Wurf enjoys what he is doing. Mentally I think he is in a much better spot than a lot of other pros.

My god. Look at his Strava locations. He is training, racing, and living like big time.

He is no mark allen that’s for sure. But yes he could get a bad wind year. His run is coming down.

Let's hope for the big wind year. Wurf needs to talk to Stadler to figure out how Stadler pulled off the high 2004 high wind "order". High wind also comes with more cooling effect on the run. Low wind = more sauna effect on the run (advantage Lange)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
PJC wrote:

Let's hope for the big wind year. Wurf needs to talk to Stadler to figure out how Stadler pulled off the high 2004 high wind "order". High wind also comes with more cooling effect on the run. Low wind = more sauna effect on the run (advantage Lange)

A fit Frodeno will leave both Wurf and Lange in the dust.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [Sebi76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A fit Frodeno will leave both Wurf and Lange in the dust.

------

When's the last time we've seen a "fit" Frodo show up in Kona? 2016?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next