Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wurf's Comment on Sanders Instagram?
Quote | Reply
Did I miss the conversation on Cameron Wurf's comment on Sanders Instagram from IMMT? I am not sure what the guy expected Sanders to do, just let the guy have second? Seemed liked an interesting comment to leave for a fellow pro.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf's Comment on Sanders Instagram? [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wurf strikes me as equal parts immature and asshole so it does not surprise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An odd comment. He has made references in the past about not wanting to take someone’s Kona slot. He even mentioned in one of his blogs that he asked a pro that he was passing on the run if this was going to cost him his slot. So weird.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wurf...
The pro cycling domestique?
The guy that has a sky team coach?
The guy that never did tris but is beating itu pros and other seasoned IM guys?
That guy who trains with Froome during the giro build up? Except adds triathlon mileage in top?
That guy that claims he ran no more than 10km and went sub 90 minutes in first 70.3?
That guy that won an ironman never running more than 20km?
The guy that talked smack about pros in last years post kona breakfast with Bob - The episode that Bob later took down again?

Just checking
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf's Comment on Sanders Instagram? [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn’t Lionel get less prize money if he gets 3rd? Lol what a stupid comment to make, why should he let someone beat him?
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf's Comment on Sanders Instagram? [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:

Absolutely true based on my secondhand connection to him but that's also what makes him so much fun. He's a gas.

If he truly starts putting shit together though and gets on the podium in Kona... watch out! His head won't fit through doorways. He already talks comically insane game to World Champions but I think that confidence (or as some see it, ego) in the insane ability he think he can achieve is what helps him succeed.

And personally, I'm 100% behind him. Guys like him, Macca, Floyd Mayweather, Deontay Wilder are good for views. Hate him as much as you want but guys like him will help the decline in participation.... unless he gets popped for doping but he trains with Sky. Who are clean, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a bizarre comment. Pretty distasteful (if he means what I think he means) and against the spirit of the sport IMHO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
An odd comment. He has made references in the past about not wanting to take someone’s Kona slot. He even mentioned in one of his blogs that he asked a pro that he was passing on the run if this was going to cost him his slot. So weird.

By weird, do you mean generous?

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think Matt Russell wants anyone to give him anything. He wants to earn it.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf's Comment on Sanders Instagram? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Wurf...
That guy who trains with Froome during the giro build up? Except adds triathlon mileage in top?
That guy that claims he ran no more than 10km and went sub 90 minutes in first 70.3?
The guy that talked smack about pros in last years post kona breakfast with Bob - The episode that Bob later took down again?

Just checking

Yes....does that give his opinion more value? Having followed Matt's incredible story.....he sure doesn't come across as a guy who wants to be handed something. He works his ass off.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf's Comment on Sanders Instagram? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
1poseur1 wrote:

Absolutely true based on my secondhand connection to him but that's also what makes him so much fun. He's a gas.

If he truly starts putting shit together though and gets on the podium in Kona... watch out! His head won't fit through doorways. He already talks comically insane game to World Champions but I think that confidence (or as some see it, ego) in the insane ability he think he can achieve is what helps him succeed.

And personally, I'm 100% behind him. Guys like him, Macca, Floyd Mayweather, Deontay Wilder are good for views. Hate him as much as you want but guys like him will help the decline in participation.... unless he gets popped for doping but he trains with Sky. Who are clean, right?

I don't follow the gossip, but from the interviews with him (over the last few years), he seems hilarious, in part due to his self-deprecating nature. I haven't seen the immature asshole that people are referencing.

Quote Reply
Re: Wurf's Comment on Sanders Instagram? [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
1poseur1 wrote:

I don't follow the gossip, but from the interviews with him (over the last few years), he seems hilarious, in part due to his self-deprecating nature. I haven't seen the immature asshole that people are referencing.

I have to agree... I think that is just a case of simply how people interpret things. Holly Lawrence told me a story about him and something ridiculous he said he wanted to do and I just started laughing my ass off but she thought he was an ignorant smartass. I'm not speaking for Holly or anyone else but maybe it just comes from a place of insecurity... the "I'm battling demons to get better and you're acting like this is easy". I don't know exactly how to put it and I'm sure I'm off a bit but he's a love or hate him kinda guy because as we describe him in LA, "he's very loud". And typically you either find that to be nails on a chalkboard or entertaining. I'm the latter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, it’s generous, but it’s also stupid.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I’m tired of being the one to bring up some of these points.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't someone get a penalty for sandbagging once? I remember someone waiting at the finish to let someone pass as a protest of some kind
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf's Comment on Sanders Instagram? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, I love a good laugh and can appreciate the crass, loud-mouthed person too, but I guess I’m missing the “entertainment” in this comment? Is there something funny about it?
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf's Comment on Sanders Instagram? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Sure, I love a good laugh and can appreciate the crass, loud-mouthed person too, but I guess I’m missing the “entertainment” in this comment? Is there something funny about it?

This particular one... yeah, why not. Its hilarious and entertaining because I'm not a pro and I don't have to make these decisions; so I don't have to decide if I agree or not. What I can do is sit back and laugh at Wurf badmouthing Lionel (justified or not) and see how it all plays out in the lead up and the big dance. Pure entertainment. I don't have to take sides.

But this is ST... everyone wants to take the moral high ground on things that will likely never affect them personally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
Sure, it’s generous, but it’s also stupid.

I don't mean to nitpick, but I'm a big fan of words and I like to see them used accurately. Disagreeing on tactics really isn't the right context for "stupid". Just saying.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we just going to ignore the "your"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can understand that and it’s just my opinion.

I’m not sure how that is tactical though? And I do think you can have stupid tactics.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoever compared Wurf to Macca isn't getting it. Macca talked shit and then threw down, Wurf has yet to really put anybody in their place in Kona. If Wurf gets on the podium in Kona, I'm all for him talking shit. For now, it's best to whisper.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Wurf...

Just checking

Hmmm shades of Lance back in the day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
mungub50 wrote:

By weird, do you mean generous?

No weird
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
I can understand that and it’s just my opinion.

I’m not sure how that is tactical though? And I do think you can have stupid tactics.

Of course you can have stupid tactics if a plan was executed out of ignorance or if if suffered from some clearly obvious miscalculation. But this wouldn't be one of those cases because he was clearly evaluating the implications of their finishing positions.

Quote Reply
Re: Wurf's Comment on Sanders Instagram? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
Whoever compared Wurf to Macca isn't getting it. Macca talked shit and then threw down, Wurf has yet to really put anybody in their place in Kona. If Wurf gets on the podium in Kona, I'm all for him talking shit. For now, it's best to whisper.

Oh no.. I get it. I don't think you do. Trash talking is a tactic, not a moral hierarchy. You can be absolute shit and trash talk. You can also be world class and trash talk.

Also, since you're on Macca specifically, let's refresh your history:

Macca was a world class short course athlete (Cam is a world class pro athlete)
Trash talked
Moved to Ironman and won some regional races (Cam has won races)
Trash talked
SUCKED AT KONA FOR YEARS (DNF'd at least once)!!!! (Cam - sorta but no DNF)
Trash talked
2006 - had a breakthrough performance but didn't win (TBD?)
Got in the winners face and confrontationally yelled at him and then trash talked for a year
2007 - After half a decade or more, finally backs up his trash talk with a win in Kona (TBD?)

So, when does it become 'okay' to trash talk and not whisper? Macca didn't wait until he backed it up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next