Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wurf’s chance to podium? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
Or possibly even win?

After watching a couple recent interviews with him I’m wondering what do you all think his chances to podium or possibly to even win?

He will definitely be on the podium for fastest Cameron. Just not sure if he can be on the top step.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf’s chance to podium? [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Wurf is going to podium. If he is in contention he will dig deep on the run (something he has avoided in racing) and keep that in the mid 2:50s I believe.

Edit: Forgot to add, Cam is looking very very fit.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Oct 11, 18 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf’s chance to podium? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I think Wurf is going to podium. If he is in contention he will dig deep on the run (something he has avoided in racing) and keep that in the mid 2:50s I believe.

The only person standing in Cam's way is Ed Baker.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf’s chance to podium? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
monty wrote:
think Wurf plans to hammer the swim and Bike. He knows he needs a big lead into T2 to have a chance. He's gotta know that getting with Starky is his best bet for that//

You can only swim to the limit of your abilities, thus he is going to be chasing for sometime. But I have said it before several times, I expect that the uber bikers are going to catch Starky at some point, and unless he is blown, he will hang to T2 with them. Wurf's problem is that 2 of those uberbikers are also very good runners, both who could win the race outright. And then you have the 2nd wave of uberrunners, many of which are going to run 2;40 +/-. So if he wants to win, he needs 10 to 15 minutes on the uberbikers, and 20 to the uber runners.

I dont think I have to explain the law of diminishing returns on a minute gained on the bike, equals more minutes on the run at some point past your ability. And all those gaps are well past his ability, so one could expect him not running close to what he has before. But all this talks about winning is really pointless, he is not going to win, or be top 3 even. I just dont know what his race plan is, to get the bike record by crushing it, or ride within himself and try for his best possible place on the day. Those two do not go together, and will be very observable around mile 80 or so I would say. Same goes for Starky, only I will lean heavily that he will ride too hard and not run very well. He is just no good in the heat, so his hail Mary's in other ironman where he could hold on to a good place, or even win, is not an option here with the field assembled..

My 2 cents is that Wurf needs Sebi and Lionel to ride with him TTT so he personally does not overbike and so the three collectively can have a faster split than solo and have padding on uber runners.

Then each of these three guys who are allies on the bike have to defeat each other on the run and defeat the uber runners.

It's like a slowmotion Tour de France 5 hour breakaway, where you are wondering if the breakaway can succeed, but rather than waiting for the final 1 km where the breakaway become rivals with each other, we get 42 km to see that play out. Cam kind of needs both Kienle and Sanders to crumble on the run to defeat both. Maybe one, but both seems to be a tall order....and on top of that hold off Gomez, Currie, Lange, McNamee etc etc.

I think he knows he has to be in front of both of them into T2. Maybe he does that in the last few miles and tries to break away, but really I think he doesn't want to be "with them" as pulling away would be hard as well as if it's enough as they are better runners. I'd think he'd prefer to not even see them on the bike and hope Starky and him can do the necessary work for that to happen.

He has Starky's race strategy: go hard and win or blow up trying. But he has to put pressure on the guys that can out run him, and the only way to do that is to have them overbike to catch him. My opinion anyways.

Ok, if he can swim fast enough to catch Starky and can 2 man TTT with Starkey, then the game of the win is on.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf’s chance to podium? [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

He will definitely be on the podium for fastest Cameron. Just not sure if he can be on the top step.[/quote]

Cameron Brown may have something to say about this.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf’s chance to podium? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

Isn't he almost 50?
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf’s chance to podium? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Isn't he almost 50?

Brown, yes, if you round up (46).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like his chances, especially if he makes front pack. He has been cruising all of his IM runs this year, and if he makes front pack he would break the course record with a 3h marathon. Depending on the wind the race can really turn to his favour big winds mean a bigger gap to the runners.
If weather is favourable, I'm predicting 48+4:10 (new record)+2:55

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf’s chance to podium? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
He has Starky's race strategy: go hard and win or blow up trying. But he has to put pressure on the guys that can out run him, and the only way to do that is to have them overbike to catch him. My opinion anyways.

yeah, he has a chance because he has the ability to put pressure on everyone else on the bike.
wurf has stated that he did not overbike last year, he just didn't have the running legs having only recently switched from being a pure cyclist. he says his running doesn't really improve by biking easier so he takes the time where he can get it. i get the impression his running has improved massively in the last year though - he wasn't really training it much initially, being cautious about picking up the run effort. anyone thinking him a non-factor and letting him disappear on the bike could have a nasty surprise when he doesn't come back as easily as expected on the run. i'm not saying he will win or even podium, just that he could be a big factor in how the race plays out and if everything goes his way then a top result is not out of the question. if he finds himself still out front deep into the run it will be very interesting to see what he can really do
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf’s chance to podium? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
I like his chances, especially if he makes front pack. He has been cruising all of his IM runs this year, and if he makes front pack he would break the course record with a 3h marathon. Depending on the wind the race can really turn to his favour big winds mean a bigger gap to the runners.
If weather is favourable, I'm predicting 48+4:10 (new record)+2:55

He swam 56 in Switzerland (does anyone know if that was wetsuit legal?), Where he finished 3rd, then finishes 2nd at Challenge Almere to someone I've never heard of (even with this amazing 2:52 run the Wurfers are touting- anyone got a GPS measurement of that course?)... And people here are predicting he beats the Kona course record????

That is absolutely nuts. I understand we like dudes who talk a big game, but sorry, he's not going to be on the podium. If he can't win a D race like Almere he is not going to be anywhere close to world champion.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf’s chance to podium? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His swim has been so-so the past year, but you can’t take any of his race results for what they are since he is just usung them as a catered training day. He switches off on the run and uses it to practice racing, nutrition etc. Watch Bob’s interview with Kienle or Wurf and they’ll tell you the same thing.
I do believe the 2:52 was a bit short, so prob a 2:54, but again that wasn’t all out. I don’t have him as my favorite, but i can definitely see how the race could play out extremely well for him.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
record speed biking might not be a surprise for a ex-tour de france cyclist but it is amazing that he can swim front pack and run sub 3s with the seasonsed itu,olympic, ironman guys - full credit

most triathlon pros find it hard to do 2 or 3 ironmans in a year - while wurf did 6 ironmans plus some full iron distance workouts in training (see Babbit interview) and on top of that the training camps with chris froome in the mountains ... that performance is unbelievable!

on Babbit he says he likes to beat triathletes at thier own craft - so he doesnt even think of himself as a triathlete or identify with the sport - which might be fair since he only started a few years ago

one thing thats kind of less cool is how he often has a go at pros in his interviews/social media .... it reminds me of the films where the unknown bandit races into town on his horse in a cloud of dust , loaded guns in each hand and starts randomly shooting up the place ..... facepalm moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Computer says No"

Brits will get that.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf’s chance to podium? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
wurf has stated that he did not overbike last year
He also stated he did (when he told Sebi and Sanders he tried to pave the way for them - LOL). Cam changes his tune so often that I'm not sure if he's trolling or just doesn't know what his actual opinion is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a normal day Wurf does not win and it is really hard to podium.

But again, on a normal day Lange does not win it either and he still did it last year. There were certain things that aligned and made this possible: easy conditions, Frodeno injured and Sanders making pacing mistakes.

So Wurf certainly needs things playing out in his favour:

1. Very hard conditions on the bike so that überrunners are too far behind or screwed.

2. Sebi having an off day (jours sans/ mechanical etc.)

3. Sanders doing something very silly

With all these things playing out a podium or even win is possible.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let’s just celebrate having another dynamic like Wurf in the race. The permutations that he adds, along with fellow bike nut cases Starky and Lyonel only makes it so much more interesting. Real pity we don’t have frodo. Burgs need to be acknowledged here too for being very accessible (though I did give him female advice once and it went over his head), hope to see him early into T2. Understand that EB has a friendly hot date at the finish line so he is definitely the smokie. Gomez to be picking up bits and pieces of himself just past the aid station coming out of the lab, Lange to repeat care of aero savings of 20,231 watts on the bike, runners rule here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think i'd put him in the jurgen zack category - he rides ~10 faster than the rest of the 'good' cyclists near the front of the pack, as did jurgen back in the day (~4:14 to ~4:25). jurgen never won kona but did podium, and generally did his best when he saved a few percent on the ride in order to run better. just my guess - for the record i'm stunned by how well wurf swims as a 'pure' cyclist.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf’s chance to podium? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surely it depends how much help Froomey has given him all winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf’s chance to podium? [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
His swim has been so-so the past year, but you can’t take any of his race results for what they are since he is just usung them as a catered training day. He switches off on the run and uses it to practice racing, nutrition etc. Watch Bob’s interview with Kienle or Wurf and they’ll tell you the same thing.
I do believe the 2:52 was a bit short, so prob a 2:54, but again that wasn’t all out. I don’t have him as my favorite, but i can definitely see how the race could play out extremely well for him.

I don't think that just because he says he's not trying hard that we should believe it's true. He tried over and over to get under three in the run with several disappointments. Then he does it at Switzerland and calls it his pinnacle running achievement. We're supposed to believe what had previously been impossible for him was now just an easy stroll? I don't buy it.

And I can't see him suddenly getting 8 minutes faster on the swim in Kona than he was at other races this year ... I mean he was like 18th pro out of the water in Switzerland or something.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Oct 12, 18 6:41
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf’s chance to podium? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
record speed biking might not be a surprise for a ex-tour de france cyclist but it is amazing that he can swim front pack and run sub 3s with the seasonsed itu,olympic, ironman guys - full credit

most triathlon pros find it hard to do 2 or 3 ironmans in a year - while wurf did 6 ironmans plus some full iron distance workouts in training (see Babbit interview) and on top of that the training camps with chris froome in the mountains ... that performance is unbelievable!

on Babbit he says he likes to beat triathletes at thier own craft - so he doesnt even think of himself as a triathlete or identify with the sport - which might be fair since he only started a few years ago

one thing thats kind of less cool is how he often has a go at pros in his interviews/social media .... it reminds me of the films where the unknown bandit races into town on his horse in a cloud of dust , loaded guns in each hand and starts randomly shooting up the place ..... facepalm moment

agreed . . . i'm not sure how cynical you are, but i am.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see Wurf in the top 10, likely not top 5 and no way will he podium. Too many guys have a better overall SBR than Wurf has at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Podium is a big maybe, win is unlikely.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply

Prev Next