Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wrenching question - internal cable routing
Quote | Reply
Just got a new carbon road frame with internal cable routing and it came with liner tubing sticking an inch or so out of the cable ports (they're folded tightly back on themselves and taped, presumably to stop them falling back into the frame). Do I just use these liners to run the cables, then remove them once the cables are in place?

The only other internally-routed frame I've ever built up (my TT bike) uses full housing runs so I didn't have to deal with liners etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrenching question - internal cable routing [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In general just route the cables through them and then pull them out, they aren't really liners like Gore / Nokon / etc.
That said, I've left them in for people that asked for it before, and I would guess shifting isn't quite as crisp, but never heard a complaint.

*also common to remove most of the liner, but leave a little bit around the bb shell area where the cable will be making a turn and causing friction.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Jun 18, 19 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, remove them after install, and maybe save them so you can put them back in if you decide to sell the frame later to help the buyer run the cable.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrenching question - internal cable routing [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Yes, remove them after install, and maybe save them so you can put them back in if you decide to sell the frame later to help the buyer run the cable.

THIS! Will be a godsend when putting new cables on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrenching question - internal cable routing [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
*also common to remove most of the liner, but leave a little bit around the bb shell area where the cable will be making a turn and causing friction.

Thanks all for the info.

On the point above, you mean where it exits the downtube and runs into the plastic cable guide?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it depends on what bike it is and how the system is routed. But as a rule of thumb, if the cable will touch the bike (like when it's making a sharp turn most bikes routing does around the bb) then a little liner *might help with friction. (and noises)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply