Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wrenches: Wheels Mfg bottom bracket and older, pinch-bold FSA Gossamer cranks?
Quote | Reply
I'm fixing up the bike of a friend of mine, which was, as it turns out, in desperate need of a new BB. I've been having good experiences with the Wheels Mfg ones, so I ordered the standard BSA external one I usually do. When installing it I've discovered that the crankset, a circa 2007 FSA Gossamer with pinch bolts, is hard to insert into the BB, even requiring some gentle nudges with the mallet. When finally installed, it doesn't run as smooth as I am used to with this BB. And taking it out again is really a problem - the NDS splined end seems to catch on the DS bearings, again requiring some gentle persuasion to come out.

Is there a known issue with FSA cranks and non-FSA bottom brackets? I googled and found one guy on youtube claiming it didn't work with an Ultegra BB, but the Wheels Mfg website claims it works, and other people in forums do as well? Could this be a problem with either my installation or the crank?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrenches: Wheels Mfg bottom bracket and older, pinch-bold FSA Gossamer cranks? [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It works, but is EXTREMELY tight.

I recall someone explaining the difference between FSA Mega-Exo and Shimano Hollowtech as ā€œ24mm plus a tolerance vs 24mm minus a toleranceā€.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Wrenches: Wheels Mfg bottom bracket and older, pinch-bold FSA Gossamer cranks? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
It works, but is EXTREMELY tight.

I recall someone explaining the difference between FSA Mega-Exo and Shimano Hollowtech as ā€œ24mm plus a tolerance vs 24mm minus a toleranceā€.

Well, in this case it's apparently so extremely tight that it doesn't really work anymore.

Ugh. Gotta order an FSA BB I guess. And use the Wheels Mfg one on my wife's bike or something...

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrenches: Wheels Mfg bottom bracket and older, pinch-bold FSA Gossamer cranks? [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BB-8681 my first choice, also works with the wavy washer SLK

BB-6000 not as nice but works well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a can of compressed air, hold it upside down and spray the shaft. This will freeze it, and cause it to shrink just a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should call Wheels MFG before doing anything. I think some FSA cranks have a 24.07mm spindle, and that may be your issue. If so, you can use the same BB, but you have to replace the bearings with 24.07mm bearings. Pretty sure Wheels MFG carries them, but you could probably get them elsewhere as well. They're a PITA to change so you might want to have them do it. Your other option is an FSA BB.
Quote Reply