Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wouldn't triathlon be better with Cat 1/2/3/4/5 instead of Age Groups? [fumanchu282] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate the idea of age categories. Has absolutely nothing to do with your ability level. Could be a pro, could be your first ever event.

For racing, categories.

For participation, an open group.

But it is what it is. Running is just as silly. So little actual racing happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Wouldn't triathlon be better with Cat 1/2/3/4/5 instead of Age Groups? [fumanchu282] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like this idea actually.

Not time based but rather using a system like USAT rankings on your place versus competition in that event
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fumanchu282 wrote:
care to elaborate? why would a "finisher" culture be better than a competitive culture?

the status quo right now is Average Joe does a triathlon, comes in between MOP and DFL, and maybe does a few more until their limited training schedule allows them to top out somewhere. then what? keep competing for middle of your AG? no wonder people eventually bow out.

the alternative would be to work your way up through Cat 5, to some middle-category, and be able to actually compete against people the whole time. if you decide you don't want to be competitive versus others, don't keep track of your upgrade points and keep racing Cat 5 or some sort of Open category. but maybe you like the competition, and work your way in to progressively faster categories and keep competing

I disagree with every point you've made, and I certainly don't even agree that triathlon has a finisher culture anymore than any other endurance sport. As an older age grouper, I care very much about my competition. I want to qualify for championship events in Ironman/70.3/ITU and I also watch my USAT ranking. I don't need Cat 1-5 for that and I am not at all interested in competing with much younger men just because we might be in the same Category. Your proposal might (and I emphasize 'might') be fine for 18-39 yrs old, but even then I don't buy your premise that some guy/gal who is MOP in their AG will be magically transformed simply because they are now assigned a category. There already is a competitive culture in Running, in Swimming, in Cycling and in Triathlon. Some take advantage of it and some don't. It won't change just because you change the system.
Quote Reply
Re: Wouldn't triathlon be better with Cat 1/2/3/4/5 instead of Age Groups? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
At a 2:14 Oly distance athlete I'm going to finish last in just about every event I do while racing against many people 20 years younger than me.

That's going to encourage me to keep racing?

BINGO!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike racing was basically a dead sport with not much participation, so they added age groups. That added a few numbers, but the sport is in dire trouble. Triathlon on the other hand has grown exponentially since its beginning in the early 80's, leveled off a few times, and is enjoying a huge base of mass participation, where there is also racing going on. I dont see how having categories(which we do already, using pro and sometimes elite ager) would enhance the experience, or be more inclusive in general.

I bike raced since the late 70's, witnessed the growth in the 80's and 90's, and the slow decline since the past decade +. I dont know what they need to do, the AG thing gave them a shot for a bit, but it is just not appealing to the masses. I suppose blowing your heart and lungs up, and then getting dropped in your first few races, only to quit and go home unsatisfied, is the biggest problem. Its a very narrow opening for a very few that get to have fun and success early on, enough to keep going even though the higher you go, the less and less you see the people you started with in Cat 5..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty wary of anything that makes triathlon more like the (rapidly dying) sport of bicycle racing, at least here in the US.

Frankly, I think you've got this completely backwards. Cycling needs to learn from the way Triathlon structures it's categorization, not the other way around.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Wouldn't triathlon be better with Cat 1/2/3/4/5 instead of Age Groups? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
jaretj wrote:
At a 2:14 Oly distance athlete I'm going to finish last in just about every event I do while racing against many people 20 years younger than me.

That's going to encourage me to keep racing?

BINGO!!

Ummmm no. If you are slow you would be against new/slow 20 year younger olds in cat 5.
Quote Reply
Re: Wouldn't triathlon be better with Cat 1/2/3/4/5 instead of Age Groups? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2:14 would be Cat 1 according to the OP's chart.
Quote Reply
Re: Wouldn't triathlon be better with Cat 1/2/3/4/5 instead of Age Groups? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using the bike category system you wouldnt go 2:14....you'd go 2:15:01 "sandbagging" to stay in the Cat 2 and "win".....

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 11, 19 18:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
2:14 would be Cat 1 according to the OP's chart.

Sorry I didn't realize there were times, thought this was hypothetical.Obviously though there will always be a cusp of podium, in one category to BOP in the next category.

Take the current 40-44 age group. 99.99% of the entrants have no hope in hell of getting anywhere near the front. Wheres the long term enjoyment/incentive for them, or the encouragement for them to drag their friends into a race if they are all down dead last?

If they could all start off at say cat 5 they could actually have a chance of 'competing'?
Quote Reply
Re: Wouldn't triathlon be better with Cat 1/2/3/4/5 instead of Age Groups? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've already gone faster than 2:15 and I thought there would be "no backsies" :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.
What "exorbitant" are you paying USAT?
How do ensure the distances are accurate?
Cycling is struggling...seems like triathlon, running & swimming have it figured out.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Wouldn't triathlon be better with Cat 1/2/3/4/5 instead of Age Groups? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can understand your thinking there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon would be better with Groups determined by some kind of a simple points based formula:

# of kids under 5
+
# of kids over 5
+
Marital status
+
Salary / tax bracket
+
Latitude/longitude of permanent residence
+
Hours per week worked
+
Commute time
+
Saddle height
+
AWA points (multiplier)
+
Years as paid USAT Member
+
TUE / grams of supplements used per week
+
% of salary spent on race wheels, oversized pullies, ceramic speed, skinsuits, wetsuits, etc
+
Pain cave square footage
+
Wear calf sleeves? / Age one calf visible?
+
% of bike leg spent Drafting in previous 3 races?
+
#of days of your build phase spent sick or injured
+
$ paid for coaching
+
Race and religion
+
Etc

Thoughts?

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
If they could all start off at say cat 5 they could actually have a chance of 'competing'?

I think most people posting don't know how categories work.

Everyone starts in Cat5. That doesn't mean the Cat5 field is slow though... because the Cat5 "beginner" field will usually have a few riders who are very strong. So if you aren't a strong rider you are going to get spit out the back anyway. How much fun is that? Not very. That's the main difference between road and tri. Even with 5 categories you need to be pretty fit and serious at the lowest level, or you aren't really in the race. You also need skill at riding in a pack and fighting for position. It's also why road racing isn't popular. Too competitive and dangerous for most people these days.

Riders are forced to upgrade if they have a certain number of points (race placings). They can also opt to upgrade if they have a lesser number of points. So if you are doing well in your category, you will be forced to upgrade to the next higher one where it will be less likely you will place. The FOP experience will be transitory unless you dominate the top category in your area.

It isn't great, but age groups would be worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Wouldn't triathlon be better with Cat 1/2/3/4/5 instead of Age Groups? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
having crashed into Cat 5 level people in our current AG model, I want catergory racing. They zigzag, block the course, etc. Too dangerous.
Quote Reply
Re: Wouldn't triathlon be better with Cat 1/2/3/4/5 instead of Age Groups? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, huh? Are all cycling races done under the same conditions???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have thought about this too and I’m all for it. Golf has a way to calculate handicaps, cycling can figure out Cat groups, why couldn’t triathlon do something similar??? Heck USAT already has a formula for rankings that may be flawed but has some formula for equalizing race results that could at least provide a starting point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found that trying to work your way up in the percentages within your age group works great. First, top 50%. Then 25%. Then 10%. Then podium. If races made it easier to see what percentage you got, that'd be great.
Quote Reply
Re: Wouldn't triathlon be better with Cat 1/2/3/4/5 instead of Age Groups? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Seems like cycling has this figured out, so what am I missing here?

———

And maybe just maybe tri has it figured out too. Even though I think the cat system is a better “competitive” process but I also think the current system actually works well.

I'm not so sure cycling has it figured out, especially when it comes to attracting new racers. There are very few pure cat 5 races and a cat 4/5 field is filled with guys who just don't earn enough points to get an upgrade but can and will kick in the brains of any new person showing up to a race. It's honestly not fair in any way for a new person to show up and race against me. . . but I've only got one point to my name. . . so I race the 3/4 where I can. . . . but that's not always an option.

Cross is set-up better because your race isn't done the second you're dropped from the group and gravel seems to be growing nicely. But traditional bike racing. . . I wish we had more interest. . . but it's not the flavor of the masses right now. . . and categories aren't helping. The barrier to entry is just too great.
Quote Reply
Re: Wouldn't triathlon be better with Cat 1/2/3/4/5 instead of Age Groups? [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ziggie204 wrote:
Cross is set-up better because your race isn't done the second you're dropped from the group and gravel seems to be growing nicely. But traditional bike racing. . . I wish we had more interest. . . but it's not the flavor of the masses right now. . . and categories aren't helping. The barrier to entry is just too great.

It's the nature of pack racing. What would be better than categories? Age groups certainly wouldn't be an improvement.

The races that have appeal are ones where you don't need to be fit or skilled to compete.
Quote Reply
Re: Wouldn't triathlon be better with Cat 1/2/3/4/5 instead of Age Groups? [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why cant both have it figured out that allows both to work for each sport. That was more my point. Why cant cats work for the majority of the "racing" that is cycling and tri simply be categorized by AG.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not even going to bother reading the responses to this nonsense.

Road racing is doing worse than triathlon as a sport... except for fondos and gravel racing where there are no categories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello fumanchu and All,

I love new ideas ....

But .......

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Wouldn't triathlon be better with Cat 1/2/3/4/5 instead of Age Groups? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So road racing is no longer a club/team sport.

I was little, but when my father was a cyclist it was all a team sport.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next