Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Would you race on this cut tire?
Quote | Reply
This Grand Prix TT 23c tire is immaculate, except for this cut. I'm racing Saint George in a week, and it is an important race for me. Do you think this cut significantly increases my chances of a flat? Can I Assume it does not go all the way through, or should I remove it a and look?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Would you race on this cut tire? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn’t look too bad but I’d remove and inspect for sure

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely remove it for a careful inspection inside and out. If otherwise ok, superglue it and race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a no from me. Why take the chance? I had one like that blow on a training ride 30 miles from home, had to get on a train.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way I race that. I wouldn’t even train on it on the road. That would be a trainer tire for me.

I used to glue, patch, etc... was pretty proud of how I stretched my tire life. Then I had a blow out last year and crashed. My risk tolerance for tires is now pretty low.

Any money I saved wasn’t worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with others - I wouldn't race on it. If the tire was pretty new, I'd move it to the rear and train on it. That's assuming the cut isn't all the way through - if it is I'd toss it or add a patch on the inside.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you race on this cut tire? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Risk vs rewards...........
Entry Fee
Travel
Time spent training
Hotel
Meals
Cost of lost time with a flat in the race
Got away using a damaged tire vs $60 to put on a new one?

That is a tough decision, yes sir.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you race on this cut tire? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Risk vs rewards...........
Entry Fee
Travel
Time spent training
Hotel
Meals
Cost of lost time with a flat in the race
Got away using a damaged tire vs $60 to put on a new one?

That is a tough decision, yes sir.
Sounds pretty some when you out it this way.

Looks like I'll move my other GPTT from my front wheel to the rear and grab a nee gp5000 for my front, can't get a new TT in time.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put a Park Tools boot in it. It has glue on one side so it adheres very well. I have done this several times with no problems. It actually makes the spot you put the boot on stronger than the tire itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're in need of a race tire and are in the Vegas area this week, I have 23mm TT with <200mi (pretty good condition per eye test) or a fresh 23mm supersonic.
Feel free to pm me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

No, as you say it is an important race for you. Use it as a rear training tire.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, throw it in the garbage and spend $50 for a new one, not worth it. Sucks, but it's toast.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you race on this cut tire? [Nonojohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, thanks! I'm not near Vegas, though.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HELL NO, NO WAY, i would not race with that tire , and if i use it to train i would be ready to repair it and bring multiple patch etcetc.
Racing with that tire is asking for 2 or more flat tires due to punctures/repairs/pressure loss/etcetcetc. M
Quote Reply
Re: Would you race on this cut tire? [goldenkidd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
could use it as a training tyre. just put a patch of electrical tape on the inside. i've been using a tyre with this for two years with no punctures on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would use it if the casing is intact Hard to tel from that picture.

For the,"hell no" crowd, where do you draw the line? A close inspection of any tire will turn up nicks of some kind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
This Grand Prix TT 23c tire is immaculate, except for this cut. I'm racing Saint George in a week, and it is an important race for me. Do you think this cut significantly increases my chances of a flat? Can I Assume it does not go all the way through, or should I remove it a and look?

I would absolutely not race (or even ride) on a tire like that!

I'd fix it... and then race on it. Glue a piece of tough material (I use the sidewall off old tires) to the inside. Rubber cement works fine. Talc it after it cures so the tube won't stick.

I've even taken a needle and thread to big sidewall cuts that go through and distort the tire...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t think this has been mentioned yet, but besides all the risks mentioned for you- there is also the risk of involving others if you crash or lose control of your bike. Even if you are willing to except the personal risk, it is incredibly inconsiderate of others to race (or train) with known faulty equipment :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
/quote]

I'd absolutely race on it. After all, there's nothing like a bit of excitement at the thought that I might lose all my hard earned training time and fail to finish the race. And of course, the chances of affecting others in the race. Exciting!

So yes, absolutely race on it for that extra surge of adrenalin you'll get from all that uncertainty.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Apr 28, 19 15:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

I draw the line at the Q of 'has it cut any of the threads?' If yes, then its in the bin (or on the turbo wheel).

If not, then no great structural loss. But I'd super glue it anyways.

And defo swap for race day. As others say, the risk vs reward isn't there.

It sure sucks tho when it happens. I had to toss away a tyre after a total of 400 yards of of riding it recently - some total whaaaanker driver pulled out on me from a side road 2 mins out from home on a downhill road... I locked up the rear whilst avoiding the collision... dum ... dum... dum..dum dum dumdumdumdumdum from a big flat spot on the tyre, taken 3/4 of the 'meat' of the tread off in one place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ed, I’m pretty sure I have an unused 23mm TT you can have.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Would you race on this cut tire? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ooh! cool. THX!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to tell from a picture. If I were to use it, it would get a boot and go to the rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if your tt would be like new you should buy a 5000 anyway for a race, which has the RR of your tt and the puncture resistance and aerodynamics of a 4000 s II. With the cut you have one reason more. 3 reasons to buy a 5000..... no reasons to race on your tt ....
Last edited by: longtrousers: Apr 28, 19 23:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why chance it? Tire blows an the best thing that can happen is you lose a little bit of time.....the worst thing that can happen is bad. It comes down to managing risk
Quote Reply

Prev Next