Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would you borrow a tri bike for a short race if you have been training on a road bike?
Quote | Reply
Would you borrow a tri bike for a short race if you have been training on a road bike? Or would you just use the road bike you are used to?
My main concern is working slightly different muscle groups. I know I will be more AERO on the borrowed bike, but not sure if I will actually be FASTER, once muscle fatigue comes into play... Obviously, I am concerned with how this will affect the run, as well: would I be better of running after a tri bike I am NOT used to, or a road bike I AM used to?

EDIT: I have ridden TT bikes plenty in the past, just not any this season...and I will have it for about 10 days prior.

All feedback welcome, but I especially would like to hear from folks who have done it both ways: how did the run feel after road bike? ...tri bike?

I will, of course, make sure that all urine has been hosed off before I borrow it ;-)

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Last edited by: TheJeff: May 14, 15 9:17
Quote Reply
Re: Would you borrow a tri bike for a short race if you have been training on a road bike? [TheJeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing new on race day

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Would you borrow a tri bike for a short race if you have been training on a road bike? [TheJeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would absolutely want my first time on aero-bars to be in a race. (pink)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All those ITU guys seem to run pretty well off their road bikes...

I will, however, say that I have always felt better running after riding on a tri bike. Not sure if that's just coincidence or a head thing though.

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
Last edited by: rss31778: May 14, 15 9:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first 3 months on an aero bike were dangerous to everyone around me. Handling on a bike while in the aerobars is wildly different than the road bike. You'll either be a danger in the aerobars or spend the race on the bullhorns, negating any benefit.

For the sake of your fellow racers, stick to the bike you've been training on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week I rode my tri bike for the first time since September. It took me a few rides to get used to
the slightly different muscle group useage thing. I would not have wanted to run off the bike after that
first ride.

However if you'll have use of the tri bike for 10 days before the event I would not see a problem.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you capable and willing to pay for the tri bike if something happens to it while in your possession? if so, borrow it and get in a few rides including a run brick before the race to re-famiarize with it. If not, buy a set of clip on aero bars for your road bike and ride that instead.
Last edited by: sdbanker: May 14, 15 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure this is a great idea. My buddy transitioned from road to tri and the first few rides weren't great for him. The position is different and his hip flexors took a beating. This isn't some joe shmoe, he was KOM on the swan mountain climb on last year's Triple Bypass. If you try it out and it is fine then go ahead, otherwise I would echo everyone else who says "nothing new on race day".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have ridden tt bikes plenty, 10 days is likely enough to know if it will work for you.

You will be using the same muscle groups anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you borrow a tri bike for a short race if you have been training on a road bike? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would ride the TT bike. I did this last year right before an Olympic tri. I hadn't ridden a tt bike for a few years and borrowed a friends bike. I rode it twice before the race, then at the race and gave it back.

It worked great and I had a solid bike split (for me at least)

Quote | Reply
For a short race no, but if I were doing a HIM or IM I would definitely.

For a half hour-ish you can push you don't have to settle into a position and save energy for the run. A sprint and even an oly is a quick pace. Also a lot of sprints have a lot of turns and no long straightaways so might not be able to settle into a position anyway.

I almost always get better performance in a HIM than training rides or sprints because I can settle into a groove and go miles without a turn or a stop.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply