Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would you be looking at the watts displayed during a Hors Cat 10.8 km TT?
Quote | Reply
Or would you rather leave that heavy Garmin 705 in your hotel?

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Would you be looking at the watts displayed during a Hors Cat 10.8 km TT? [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about you, but I don't need a gizmo to tell me that what I'm doing hurts and I need to go faster. :P

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be looking at the watts displayed during a Hors Cat 10.8 km TT? [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If bike is already pushing the minimum weight limit, not that big a deal really.

The data is good to have.

As for watching it, maybe in the opening minutes to keep a lid on it so you don't blow early, then after that just run what you brung.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Training Plans -- Power Meter Hire -- SRM Sales Australia -- cyclecoach.com -- My Blog -- Sydney Turbo Studio
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would use it for post-race analysis and cover the display so I can't look at it during the TT.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be looking at the watts displayed during a Hors Cat 10.8 km TT? [Alex Simmons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would DEFINITELY ride with power. The shorter the timetrial: the more usefull power is for pacing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10.8k = 6.7mi for us 'mericans accustomed to miles instead of kms...
At 12mph, that is 33-34 minutes.
At 15mph, still 26-27 minutes.
Plenty of time to go too hard early, blow and lose lots of time in the second half. if you have power to pace by, use it. If your target is 300w, throwing down 350w in the first minute is bad pacing.
-Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Sergio

As others have said, for anything over a kilo, unless it is your 30th or 40th time racing the course and you have similar conditions with frequent time check points (like a pursuit on a 250m indoor track) use the PM.

For a TT effort that short, the powermeter will help keep you from going out too hard which would be the kiss of death. The extra 108 grams would cost about 2.5 seconds on a 10% grade over 10 km, right? My math isn't so reliable.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be looking at the watts displayed during a Hors Cat 10.8 km TT? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Sergio

As others have said, for anything over a kilo, unless it is your 30th or 40th time racing the course and you have similar conditions with frequent time check points (like a pursuit on a 250m indoor track) use the PM.

For a TT effort that short, the powermeter will help keep you from going out too hard which would be the kiss of death. The extra 108 grams would cost about 2.5 seconds on a 10% grade over 10 km, right? My math isn't so reliable.

-SD

Starting too hard on this climbing TT is no doubt a great risk. Particularly when you just turned 16 and after three stages you are close behind a former TdF stage winner. Sometimes, something more objective than a voice on your head is needed when you want to get even ;)

So it stays on.

Thanks to all.

Sergio

PD Shortie aerobars or not for the start of the TT at around 5% grade? They will also serve to position the Garmin in an easier to read position.

I am sure Tom Demerly can comment on this pic ;)

Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Sergio

-SD

Starting too hard on this climbing TT is no doubt a great risk. Particularly when you just turned 16 and after three stages you are close behind a former TdF stage winner. Sometimes, something more objective than a voice on your head is needed when you want to get even ;)

So it stays on.

Thanks to all.

Sergio

PD Shortie aerobars or not for the start of the TT at around 5% grade? They will also serve to position the Garmin in an easier to read position.

I am sure Tom Demerly can comment on this pic ;)
5%? Aerobars absolutely, not sure about shorties, can you get them mounted under the bar? I assume you don't need to follow ITU rules here, why not a TT bike?

Quote Reply
Re: Would you be looking at the watts displayed during a Hors Cat 10.8 km TT? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5% just for the first 2 km, from there it gets way too steep. It is UCI rules. Using a TT bike is not the best choice for this particular stage, particularly with the grips of the Ventus bars.

Sergio

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
5% just for the first 2 km, from there it gets way too steep. It is UCI rules. Using a TT bike is not the best choice for this particular stage, particularly with the grips of the Ventus bars.

Sergio

Ah, I see, if the minimum grade is 5% then a road bike may be in order.

I assume you've got the bike down to 6.8kg w/ the clip ons?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Sergio

Ah, I see, if the minimum grade is 5% then a road bike may be in order.

I assume you've got the bike down to 6.8kg w/ the clip ons?

I still have time to set up a R3 frame. I have no idea about the weight, but I am sure it will be below 6.8 kg w/o the clip ons.

Some good (or not so good) examples of clip on use on climbing TTs.
Ulrich using clip ons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpPWTaE-0gM

Lance w/o them and Basso with them installed but not using them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7snz7jsQ__E

By the way the TT mentioned looks as steep as the AdH, shorter but no doubt as steep.

It is going to be a very interesting stage. I am glad they set up this ITT at the end of this stage race.

Sergio

Quote Reply