Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would you accept a St George slot from outside US?
Quote | Reply
I’m one of those who got a favourable roll down 😂. Being in AUS it’s not really feasible for me to accept a WC slot UNLESS it doesn’t go ahead and it’s deferred to Taupo 2022. Which I hear is already about 80% full. New Zealand with COVID around is cheaper plus much more manageable.
So those in Utah or in the US- St George I assume its likely to go ahead isn’t it, and I’d just be pumping money into the Ironman coffers to register a DNS?
Quote Reply
Re: Would you accept a St George slot from outside US? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably going to happen, but from my work colleagues in AUS I'd be more concerned about them letting you back in afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you accept a St George slot from outside US? [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeh 14 day hotel quarantine doesn’t appeal at all
Quote Reply
Re: Would you accept a St George slot from outside US? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I qualified for Taupo 2019 and was offered the choice of deferring to St George 2020 or Taupo 2021.

I took the option of St George, assuming there'd be few opportunities to actually qualify for it anyway and backing myself to earn a slot for 2021.

I'm UK based and would be prepared to travel, but at the moment, i won't be surprised if it doesn't go ahead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took my slot, roll down was not too generous, I figured just take it and see what happens. There is so much uncertainty. I am in Australia as well, the bigger issue for me is more whether we can get there easily by then and what the returning quarantine procedures will be. Looking back on it being just over a year since this all started, we are still a long way from a reliable exit strategy, so I took a punt and figured I won't book anything until much closer to the time and then all I am losing is the money for the slot (and if I can't go, the next person in roll down won't have been able to go either).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you want to come the USA, the current epicenter of the COVID epidemic. We’ve done a worse job handling this than many 3rd world countries.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you accept a St George slot from outside US? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Why would you want to come the USA, the current epicenter of the COVID epidemic. We’ve done a worse job handling this than many 3rd world countries.

I'm optimistic that by the race date, i'll have received a vaccine, but it would still be a very real concern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I originally qualified for Taupo 2020 and took the St. George spot for 2021 rather than the Taupo 2022. I'm from Canada so I suspect that might make easier than some of the overseas people.

I took the St. George spot primarily because taking what would amount to a 2 week trip to get to NZ in 2022 wouldn't work from the family perspective (it would have worked in 2020). By contrast, St. George could be a long weekend if I need to get in and out (COVID permitting, of course)
Quote Reply