Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike?
Quote | Reply
After watching for the first time a tandem on a timetrial I am curious to know this answer.

I am sure there are some in this forum that can answer this.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Unless its hilly. Tadem = more power for an almost equal CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [Tapeworm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [Rakestraw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rider on the back hit his head really hard. Good bike handling skills though.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [Rakestraw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch!
Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of course two daves would be faster than one

a more intersting question would be to graph speed over N where N is the number of Daves on the tandem.

Does it go up forever?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the rider on the back is blind.
Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't think so, at some point the marginal increase in wind resistance from adding another DZ would overcome the extra power from an extra DZ. What would happen after that point would be interesting, I guess it would be a limit problem. Anyone want to graph it out assuming another DZ is 400 watts and x amount of drag area?
Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [ston_ar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but it would as they would be going fast so drag would be alot higher
Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [Brind-Surch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

aren't longer shapes MORE aerodynamic? Of course that will hit a limit point as well

and rolling resistance will keep going up

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Theoretically wouldn't you eventually run out of gear ratio and spin out?

-------------------------
http://trirochester.com
Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [mrrr21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you had two of Zabriskies moustaches however... drag would probably significantly increase...

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummmmm. then Rolling resistance would be the next thing that would overcome the addition of another DZ, but it goes up linearly (if im not mistaken) so the speed would be way higher.

Im going to take a guess. 500 DZ's could go.... wait for it...... 456.235 km/hr

I wonder how many it would take to break the sound barrier?
Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [ston_ar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
what happens to drag after you break the sound barrier?!

Its still there. There is just less (actually I think none) vibration due to sound. It gets really quiet... and you go boom!

Quote | Reply
A tandem will be much faster. The WR for Paralympic Tandem 4km Pursuit is 4:18.x vs a WR (on current UCI rules) of 4:14.x.

The single bike WR is faster, BUT UCI rules state that Para-pilots cannot have raced professionally for 3 years, so the para bike is being piloted by what equates to a Cat1. with the visually impared stoker generally putting out the power of a strong Cat3 or Cat2.

All that to say that if you throw a pair of track pros (say Cam Meyer/Jack Bobridge or Wiggins/Geraint Thomas) on a tandem they will give all but the very best Team Pursuit squads a run for the money given adequate time to sync as a pair.
Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [AaronT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok using an excel file of such questionable mathematical validity that I hesitate to even post it for peer review

if we assume 400 watts = 30mph for 1 dave zabriske
and that each dave zabriske increases the drag coefficient by 10%

we get a peak speed of 37mph at 13 dave zabriskes after which each additional zabriske begins to slow the bike down.

Last edited by: jackmott: Oct 14, 10 13:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
ok using an excel file of such questionable mathematical validity that I hesitate to even post it for peer review

if we assume 400 watts = 30mph for 1 dave zabriske
and that each dave zabriske increases the drag coefficient by 10%

we get a peak spead of 37mph at 13 dave zabriskes after which each additional zabriske begins to slow the bike down.

what do you get for a peak SPEED?

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are in the ball park. Playing around with analytic cycling I was getting answers 40mph+/-3mph depending on the assumptions I was making. Just as a point of reference it would take 1200w+ to move a single sleek (0.2m^2 frontal area) TT'er 50mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
we get a peak speed of 37mph at 13 dave zabriskes after which each additional zabriske begins to slow the bike down.

Who's faster, 13 Daves and a Ditka.. or, one Chuck Norris?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jens alone on a mountain bike can ride faster than 13 DZs, a Ditka, and Chuck Norris all on the same bike.

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [Brind-Surch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Depends how fast they were going, and the question was 'would they be faster'.

They would obviously be faster. Sure, drag might increase due to backseat DZ but only after they were going a LOT faster than solo DZ could ever go.
Quote Reply
Re: Would two Dave Zabriskies on a TT tandem be faster than one on a TT bike? [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jens alone on a mountain bike can ride faster than 13 DZs, a Ditka, and Chuck Norris all on the same bike.

Affirmative

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply

Prev Next