Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would this piss off the LBS???
Quote | Reply
I want to strip my road bike of entry level components and install new ultegra. I found the shifters, derailers, cog set, and chain for a great price on the net. I have received everything and was going to take it to my LBS and ask them to install it. Are they going to be pissed that I did not buy all of the components from them? Or is this acceptable?
Quote Reply
Re: Would this piss off the LBS??? [waytooslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of course it s acceptable..... the job of a bike ship is to be there for the client and give them good service. you are asking them to build a bike, i m sure they will be happy to do it for you!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure it's acceptable to have the LBS install parts, no matter where they're bought. However, the proce for them to do so may be higher. Don't be surprised by that.

Of course you could continue the cheap route, go to the Park Tools website and do the work yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Are they going to be pissed that I did not buy all of the components from them?"

~ Probably not. Unless you spent many hours in there getting advice from them and having them educate you on the difference. Then perhaps they may feel a bit...used.

"Or is this acceptable? "

~ Again, it is definitely acceptable if you haven't drained the knowledge from them, then utilized it elsewhere (in saving a couple bucks). However, note that it is also acceptable (and prudent) of a bike shop to offer higher rates to install parts not purchased at their shop. Another way to spin this is to list the same price for installation no matter where the parts are purchased, but provide a discount to those purchase the parts from the shop.

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless it's only a time issue, I highly recommend rebuilding it yourself: you'll need the same tools for minor repairs (if you don't own them already), and building a bike is the best way to learn how everything works, and more importantly, how to avoid paying unnecessary mechanic fees in the future. I didn't know squat about my bike until I helped a friend build his B2 from scratch.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it's acceptable. The only thing here is that your LBS will probably charge you for the install. No worries though. You can buy what you want from where you want. That is your choice.

"It is not the great things we do in life that really matter, it's the small things we do with a great heart..."-Mother Theresa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done it before. They won't/shouldn't care as they are still getting paid for the work they do.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were you, I'd strip the parts, build it up, and then, if you need to, take it in for a tune-up. Don't waste money getting a teenager to turn a screwdriver for you. Of course, if you don't have the time, I'm sure the bike shop will be happy to do the work, regardless of where you got the parts.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Would this piss off the LBS??? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Don't waste money getting a teenager to turn a screwdriver for you."

In all fairness, there are profesional bicycle mechanics who have chosen to work on and with bicyles for thier living.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a fellow who owns a bike shop I can tell you that is absolutely 100% acceptable. You should never feel awkward about this in my opinion.

I think we're entering a new era of bicycle retailers who understand the internet and on-line retailing is a tool we can all use to our advantage. It's up to the retailer to learn how to best implement the internet into their existing business, be it full-on e-commerce or just offering a good menu of services to people who buy bikes on E-Bay and bring them in for fitting and service.

I just wrote an editorial on our own website about this topic. If you care to read it, it is here:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...orials/0000101.shtml

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Would this piss off the LBS??? [bigadam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"In all fairness, there are profesional bicycle mechanics who have chosen to work on and with bicyles for thier living"

No doubt, and there are some who are very very good. However, if the guys is just doing an upgrade from 105 to Ultegra, the bike shops I have seen would probably give that task to a teenage kid working the shop. Doesn't mean it would be done poorly, just that it's work that can easily be done at home.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they get pissed at you for this, it's time to find a new bike shop. Seriously.
Quote Reply
Re: Would this piss off the LBS??? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, not gonna lie, I kinda resent that given that I'm still 19 and have been sought out by name specifically by customers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll echo the thoughts of those who recommend that you do it yourself. A simple piece of knowledge about my bike would have saved me 25+ mins in my first IM, as it was I had to climb the Nice course without my lowest gear which probably cost me even more time. My first lesson learned from that experience was to become my own best bike mechanic. If its knowledge that you lack, then I'm sure you can find a friend to help you work though this. If it's time you lack, then you can save the time and use the LBS but realise that if you don't know your bike intimately, then this may be a false time economy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]