Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would this bike be legal under USAT rules?
Quote | Reply
http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/10/16/bird-of-prey-swoops-in-for-a-different-look-at-the-bicycle-whos-going-to-be-the-victim-in-this/

Quote Reply
Re: Would this bike be legal under USAT rules? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.11.C in http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/rulebook.aspx#article5

(c) A vertical line touching the front most point of the saddle may be no more than 5 centimeters in front of and no more than 15 centimeters behind a vertical line passing through the center of the chain wheel axle. The cyclist must not have the capability of adjusting the saddle beyond these limits during competition.

I would say that this disqualifies the bike.

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Re: Would this bike be legal under USAT rules? [skot123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It most certainly does!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And 5.11a,d, 5.12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a large percentage of tri bikes are illegal then. I bet I can get the nose of my saddle more than 5 cm ahead of the center of my chain ring.
Quote Reply
Re: Would this bike be legal under USAT rules? [BrandonS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrandonS wrote:
Sounds like a large percentage of tri bikes are illegal then. I bet I can get the nose of my saddle more than 5 cm ahead of the center of my chain ring.

I think you are confusing front and behind.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by BrandonS [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: BrandonS: Oct 17, 15 1:23
Re: Would this bike be legal under USAT rules? [hkultala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think you are confusing front and behind.

To be fair, so is the rider.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per Charlie Crawford's explanation of rules 5.11 (a-i) is the prevention of any type of recumbent cycle being used in competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it probably breaks 3 rules:

1. saddle set-forward/back
2. front/center
3. 2 meters overall length

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A flying mount or adjusting your shoe straps could be interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Would this bike be legal under USAT rules? [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easier to pee on bike

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, a while back I was thinking about what would be the most efficient way of transferring power from our legs to the road while on a bicycle. The picture I had in my head was of a 100m sprinter coming out of the start blocks. Then I thought about how to recreate that action on a bike and this is pretty much what I came up with.

Not being a designer or an engineer, I had no way of bringing the idea to life or even calculating if my thoughts were correct, but someone's obviously put some thought and work into it.
Quote Reply
Re: Would this bike be legal under USAT rules? [downesy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
downesy wrote:
Interestingly, a while back I was thinking about what would be the most efficient way of transferring power from our legs to the road while on a bicycle. The picture I had in my head was of a 100m sprinter coming out of the start blocks. Then I thought about how to recreate that action on a bike and this is pretty much what I came up with.

Not being a designer or an engineer, I had no way of bringing the idea to life or even calculating if my thoughts were correct, but someone's obviously put some thought and work into it.

I was thinking about your train of thought. That position already exists on a standard road bike...check out the side view of Mark Cavendish in a full out sprint in the drops....very similar to a track sprinter. However, keep in mind that the most powerful position for 1-5 seconds that is totally fast twitch dominated is probably not the best position for say 4 min to 5 hours where you are using slow twitch muscle fiber and operating totally aerobically. I think the slowman approved FIST position is pretty good. Basically it comes close to stead state "running on the bike" while being supported by the frame.
Quote Reply