Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would this be considered doping?
Quote | Reply
I was riding yesterday and thinking about the "biological passport" and how it monitors "differences" in physiological parameters.

First, let me say this, new and mature blood tends to be slightly better at carrying and transferring oxygen than old blood cells.

What if a rider gave some blood to the Red Cross to support some earthquake victims 6 weeks before the tour then let mother nature bring his blood concentration back up (maybe moving to altitude after the giving). He would have the exact same HCT come race time as he would if he had done nothing but he would have a slightly better mix of old and new blood cells than if he just left things alone. I could see this as possibly offering a slight performance advantage. If that would be ok, would it be OK to "take" more than one unit (destroying it so it could not be reinfused), something the Red Cross won't do, solely for the purpose of enhancing the mix even more?

What do the rules say about this? Even if allowed, would it be a violation of the spirit of "doping"?

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Would this be considered doping? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a doctor but that sounds like a quick time to recover.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think that's the results we'd see. When he donated the blood they would have taken an equal mix of old and new blood. So the ratios of old and new would remain the same for the total blood volume.

I don't think that they would be removing enough blood for the new cells to throw off the readings to that degree. And besides 6weeks wouldn't be enough time to replace the lost volume unless the athlete were doing EPO.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the performance decrease while the athlete is recovering? I think if it was before a race it would be pretty risky to put your body in an intense recovery mode when you should be resting and recovering from your standard workouts. I think the loss of the mental edge and lack of quality workouts in the lead up to the race while recovering would wash out a slight performace increase (if any) that a slightly higher oxygen carrying capacity would produce.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The athlete's next 4 weeks of training will suck, so performance 6 weeks later should be subpar due to detraining.
Quote Reply
Re: Would this be considered doping? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The athlete's next 4 weeks of training will suck, so performance 6 weeks later should be subpar due to detraining.

Bingo ! I stopped giving blood a long time ago because it made training much more difficult for a couple of weeks. And I'm nowhere near world class.

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would that be considered blood doping? Now if you donate to the Red Cross and then before your race the Red Cross donates it back to you...

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply