Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would someone explain the different pedal systems?
Quote | Reply
A local club member in our town is making the jump from strap n' crap pedals to clipless pedals, and he was asking me some questions about what's out there. In the process of explaining some of this to him to the best of my abilities, I realized that I know very little about the available pedals. I use Look, so I'm familiar with them, as well as Shimano. But I don't know much about Time, Speedplay, etc. Based on what I've read here, I would wager that Speedplays are the pedal of choice for many triathletes. Are they compatible with all shoes? And what about Time and the offerings from Campagnolo -- are these compatible with any of the other cleat systems? I'm not looking for recommendations -- I'm quite satisfied with my Looks. Just looking to expand my knowledge about this stuff.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Would someone explain the different pedal systems? [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time - my pedal. Sure, the older ones were a bit heavier than some others out there. Oddly enough, I heard that a Time Titan Mag pedal with cleat - was the same weight as a Speedplay with the cleats. Time will offer more float than a Look, Campy, or SPD style pedal - and also offers an automatic (by default) level of "Q-Factor" play. Time also has (with Time shoes) the closest foot - to pedal axle of any pedal available. It is common that people who go from Look style to Time pedals that they need to lower their seat about 10mm. Time is also still (I think) the #1 pedal of the Pro peloton.

Look - The standard. They are good pedals, good price, good float, good cleats, good availability...not great at anything. But good. You will need to be more careful about aligning your cleats with Look style pedals as you may injure your knees easier with Look than some other pedals (Add Campy and Shimano to that comment too). I have also in the past had issues with Look style cleats moving on me...and they tend to pull out a bit more often than some of the other systems out there. There are now look pedals out there that have a diffrent spring for holding you in and another for float centering.

Shimano...I think they just cant make their minds up...jeesh, SPD, not SPD, big cleat, small cleat. Look cleat...I have seen NO LESS than 6 Shimano Ultrgra pedals have the springs pop out and need to be put back togther to be able to ride. I have never seen that with the Dura Ace on though. I am not sure the diffrence but I would not ride the Ultegra pedal and feel comfortable in an all out sprint on one.

Speedplay...sure they are light. I myself do not care for that much float. They are cheap and light. Not as light as you would think though...they need to put that cleat on the scale next time they weigh the pedals. Plus the Ti ones I think have a 200lbs weight limit. I would not myself ride any pedal with a weight limit.

SPD's...small cleat, if you have anything but the best shoes with the stiffest soles it is common to get hot spots on these. That I am sure is part of the reason that Shimano went to the much larger cleat on the new pedals. However they were pretty darn stable to sprint in and are easy for people to walk in if you need to.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head, I am sure that others can add a ton more.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Would someone explain the different pedal systems? [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't have said it better myself. So I'm not. Good synopsis Record9ti!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Would someone explain the different pedal systems? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't it true though that speedplay's weight their pedals together, while most other companies wiegh the individually? I have speedplay zeros and they work great. One thing I do know for sure is that when I went to buy pedals, the Speedplays felt noticeably lighter, than the Looks, ritchey, and last year's shimanos.
-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: Would someone explain the different pedal systems? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Isn't it true though that speedplay's weight their pedals together, while most other companies wiegh the individually? I have speedplay zeros and they work great. One thing I do know for sure is that when I went to buy pedals, the Speedplays felt noticeably lighter, than the Looks, ritchey, and last year's shimanos.
-
No they dont weigh the pair -vs- one. If they did all the other pedals companies would also do it...or Speedplay would be all over the place saying "Two for the weight of one!" Plus...like I said...weigh your Speedplays with the cleats and they are not so light anymore. They have a GIANT brick of a cleat. I think that Speedplay plays the marketing game really well. Look I am sure does not weigh their pedals with the cleat - then again their cleat is about 10 grams. Speedplays is about as heavy as the pedal.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply