Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Would putting a new Shiv under Gomez prior to/at Kona be the right move for Specialized?
Quote | Reply
Would putting a new Shiv under Gomez prior to/at Kona be the right move for Specialized?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Would putting a new Shiv under Gomez prior to/at Kona be the right move for Specialized? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Would putting a new Shiv under Gomez prior to/at Kona be the right move for Specialized? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have it under him at 70.3 Worlds. Kona winds up being a vacuum with product and deal announcements. Use the "smaller" WC event to make the push and eat up the next month of publicity.

But that's just me talking...

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why wouldn't it be a good move? If they give him a new bike, then they'd likely also be putting a new one under Lucy C and at least "some" of their other FOP pros.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Would putting a new Shiv under Gomez prior to/at Kona be the right move for Specialized? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I'd have it under him at 70.3 Worlds. Kona winds up being a vacuum with product and deal announcements. Use the "smaller" WC event to make the push and eat up the next month of publicity.

I agree with this. He's guaranteed to decimate the 70.3WC field (again), so that's a good move.

The question was a tad tongue-in-cheek. Have any of the major brands ever had a bike (of any kind) in production with no changes for 7 years?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

I agree with this. He's guaranteed to decimate the 70.3WC field (again), so that's a good move.

The question was a tad tongue-in-cheek. Have any of the major brands ever had a bike (of any kind) in production with no changes for 7 years?

I think Al.Brownlee might be racing this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weren't the Seduza/Kilo etc. from QR unchanged for a long-time?

CD0.1 is similarly long in the tooth, but they did have a change in cable routing and seat post clamping in...2012 maybe?

Quote Reply
Re: Would putting a new Shiv under Gomez prior to/at Kona be the right move for Specialized? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Weren't the Seduza/Kilo etc. from QR unchanged for a long-time?

CD0.1 is similarly long in the tooth, but they did have a change in cable routing and seat post clamping in...2012 maybe?

QR has put out the PR series and the PR disc this year, since. Whereas, Specialized has put out zero new tri bikes since 2011.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but your question was whether there had been no changes to a production bike in that long, not whether the line-up had remained static throughout that time. :P

This is digressing from the original topic, which is to say "yes, put the damn bike out in late August/early September, you fools!"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well...with the Tri market down they probably decided it wasn't worth it to iterate again. If they anticipated disc brakes becoming a big thing, they made the right call by waiting.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Would putting a new Shiv under Gomez prior to/at Kona be the right move for Specialized? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Why wouldn't it be a good move? If they give him a new bike, then they'd likely also be putting a new one under Lucy C and at least "some" of their other FOP pros.

One limitation to keep in mind is that it's pretty common to only have one size available for testing prior to release so that limits the number of athletes you can put a bike under.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

Well, they did move the cage mount from the downtime to the seat tube for 2013, I think... ;-))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, same marketing effect as when Frodo showed up on the Canyon in Oceanside with eTap a few years ago. It'll be good hype, lots of press & give JG a bigger platform to psyche out the competition with his super bike. But something tells me Frodo, Lange & Sanders really don't give 2 craps about what JG is riding. Gomez will have to learn the hard way that Kona is another animal. Now I get to wait until October to see if I eat my words or not.. ;-) I don't really have a favorite anyhow, but if it is a quality Shiv released and not a tank, it'll all be good for anyone associated with Specialized, especially JG. It may be the secret sauce he needs to win the big day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only if the bike fits him properly.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anytime would be a good time... he could be racing a local sprint and it'd be all over social media.
Quote Reply
Re: Would putting a new Shiv under Gomez prior to/at Kona be the right move for Specialized? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Yes, same marketing effect as when Frodo showed up on the Canyon in Oceanside with eTap a few years ago. It'll be good hype, lots of press & give JG a bigger platform to psyche out the competition with his super bike. But something tells me Frodo, Lange & Sanders really don't give 2 craps about what JG is riding. Gomez will have to learn the hard way that Kona is another animal. Now I get to wait until October to see if I eat my words or not.. ;-) I don't really have a favorite anyhow, but if it is a quality Shiv released and not a tank, it'll all be good for anyone associated with Specialized, especially JG. It may be the secret sauce he needs to win the big day.

Interesting 4 you chose to compare. 3 are world champions. one is not....

But I do think you are right about F & L not caring about his bike. At their level, it probably doesn't matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Would putting a new Shiv under Gomez prior to/at Kona be the right move for Specialized? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

But I do think you are right about F & L not caring about his bike. At their level, it probably doesn't matter.

Frodo: Kona winner
Lange: Kona winner
Gomez: multiple world championships
Sanders: ITU Long Course world champion

Am I missing something?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Would putting a new Shiv under Gomez prior to/at Kona be the right move for Specialized? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

Well we are talking about Kona, and Sanders has the third fastest time ever there

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Would putting a new Shiv under Gomez prior to/at Kona be the right move for Specialized? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn’t know ITU had a long distance championship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Didn’t know ITU had a long distance championship.

3k - 120k - 30k

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah the world champs with the weakest field. You'll see a much stronger field on Ironmans and 70.3s multiple times a year.
Quote Reply
Re: Would putting a new Shiv under Gomez prior to/at Kona be the right move for Specialized? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:

ah, but Gomez is really good at sports.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe specialized understands that their frame is crushing it as is?
Quote Reply
Re: Would putting a new Shiv under Gomez prior to/at Kona be the right move for Specialized? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Maybe specialized understands that their frame is crushing it as is?

I wouldn't say "crushing it"......I mean, hell, the world record for IM was set on an Orbea for God's sake!

Quote Reply

Prev Next