Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would You Get another Frame from these guys?
Quote | Reply
OK first up I really do like the bikes!

Decide to get the Son a new bike for Christmas.
Get the local Shop to check on stock from distributor. 54" no problem in stock, will ship overnight 3 days max - make payment 14th Dec. $3900.00.

1 week later - LBS has not received frame, they phone distributor and are assured the frame left on time, distributor will check with freight co. and get back. They fail to do so.

1 week and 4 days.
LBS has no news. I phone distributor direct and am assured the frame has left and been DELIVERED to the LBS. LBS denies all knowledge - no frame on the premises. I again phone the distributor and am advised that the driver who delivered the frame has gone on holidays - nothing in the van no one has any idea where the frame has gone.

3rd Jan 15days late. Frame appears at LBS no explanations offered. I take delivery and chalk it up to experience.

Saturday 1 Year later ..... Aaaaagh!! Frame with a lifetime warranty has a crack.

Go to my New bike shop - yup cracked they will contact distributor on Monday. On Monday distributor says must go back to LBS where purchased. OK fair call not a problem.

Monday mid-day drop bike with LBS, they check and say should be no problem covered by warranty we'll ask for a warranty form.

Me "States competition in a month cannot afford not to have a bike - Best I get another one while they mess around."

LBS "dont bother It is really quick 2 weeks at the most and you'll be back on the road"

Wednesday - Call in at LBS, they can tell me nothing, no warranty forms received. They phone distributor while I am there, no one knows anything, but they will fax a warranty form. This happened, form was completed and returned.

Email the Pro tour mechanic who recommended and built the bike and ask if he has had any experience with this frame cracking. In response receive a very nice pic of his dogs and shop. No comment on the frame issue :-)

Advise LBS I am not really interested in the same frame and whatever the outcome I will take another model, select next model up which is about $1500 more. Told to wait and see as certainly all over shortly and we can then sort out models etc. Really good people trying to save me from myself :-)

FRIDAY - "how goes my bike?" LBS has heard nothing advised they are now waiting for a "number" in order to be able to return the frame. Bike has been stripped and frame boxed ready to send.

Monday - Start of week 2. LBS no news - dont worry should be right by friday.

Wednesday - Still waiting for the Return number cannot send frame without this magic number!

I return home and phone distributor - phone is answered by the owner. Give him the story. He goes and checks and calls me back. Advises the LBS received and email an hour earlier with the Magic Warranty return number. Bike sent.

FRIDAY - The day it is all supposed to have cleared up by. Distributor has contacted the dealer with questions regarding the claim. He will send an email to the manufact. and we may have an answer by Monday.

I leave but not before telling them what I think of the local Distrib. and the whole process.

Then told of another warranty claim with same distributor which goes back to November 07 which has still not been resolved.

I request they have the distributor return the cracked frame which I will get repaired. I guess much like insurance companies/legal profession they delay and stall until you give up.

Visit to local manufacturer (who I know did a warranty claim on a crashed bike in 3 days) - we will be returning on Monday to test ride a couple of Pro bikes and will take home a frame if they are to the liking of the youngster.

Now 4 weeks to States comp. and Nationals selection.

So would you trust them and get another or change to the local outfit who make international class road, TT, TRI and track frames?

Taxi for young triathlete
Cervelo P3C - Cervelo P4 Evo - Cervelo S3.
Col Stewart Tricoach - alive, well and still coaching :-)
Last edited by: TAXI: Jan 18, 08 0:23
Quote Reply
Re: Would You Get another Frame from these guys? [TAXI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some companies are harder to deal with than others, but a dilligent bike shop would not let this happen.
1) if the LBS is being totally straight w/ you and all of this stuff is ACTAULLY happening (rather than the LBS forgetting to contact them or being lazy and transfrerring the blame), the bike comapny sucks. Get something else.
2) Either way, the LBS is not going to bat for you. Shop elsewhere (which it sounds like you are).
While I'm not sure what brand this frame is, it doesn't sound like the treatment that is usually offered from the big brands (C-dale, Giant, Trek, etc) stick w/ the big brands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. Buy a TitanFlex or an Aegis. You will never have these problems again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know we can't name a company when posting something like this BUT I don't have a lot of money and I'm planning to buy a new bike. It will cost more than some cars. I would really like to know what company acts like this. Even if the bike shop was very bad the company had been contacted several times and the owner had even been made aware. I do not want to go through something like this! How can we help save each other the problems if we can't name the company. If more people ran their bussiness like Desoto there would be no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess my question is what brand of bike did you buy. I know you don't want to slam a brand, but if they are letting you down or the LBS is leting you down, perhaps you need to find the weak link in the chain. Also, you can muscle them by simply disputing the charge on your credit card and let the monetary leverage force the LBS into action.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Would You Get another Frame from these guys? [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before we go naming and shaming, lets look at a few points here.

The bike that arrived 15 days late, how many of those were working days? If it arrived on the 3rd Jan, must have been ordered just before Christmas, so maybe was posted and just got stuck somewhere during the Christmas shutdown. The only real blame here is the guy who said it will be there in two days and that could be an honest

As for the other bit, guy goes in to old LBS to warrenty a frame, tells them he wants one in the meantime to ride and play with. They say will take two weeks to sort, have a bit of difficulty in getting a number and then when they get it, they want to investigate the situation, rather than just replace it, but customer is willing to have (does not say pay) an upgrade to the next model up.

Anybody who has ever had an issue knows that it takes a bit of time to organise and if it takes two weeks, then that it normally a great turnaround. Not fair to compare it to a place where you can just walk in and hand it over to the maker.

In all, if this was the service i got, then YES i would buy another frame from these people.
Quote Reply
Re: Would You Get another Frame from these guys? [Sheddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree on the holiday delay, but why not name names? If the OP is to serve as a cautionary tale, so be it. if the manufacturer is at fault, that's tough cookies and they should be slammed. If the LBS is at fauly, same thing. The OP had a bad experience let him be open about who caused the bad exeperience.

Now, if the question is not about the time, but rather the quality of the frame, its a different matter all together. In that case, frames crack and if anyone has seen a UPS dock, we all know that somethign marked "fragile" is usally worked over pretty hard.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes when playing the blame game, we always seem to think it is either the bike compnay or the LBS that is at fault. However there are normally 3 parties involved and the last one is always seen as blameless, when usually...and the comment, i was willing to accept an upgrade, worries me.

Please do not assume that this is an insult to the OP, but mearly a reason why i think naming and shaming is wrong, unless you have all sides of a story.

hugs and kisses

s
Quote Reply
Re: Would You Get another Frame from these guys? [Sheddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, there are three sides to a story like this one. And, perhaps, no one is at fauly, but rather the perfect storm of issues came about.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You bought your son a $3900 bike (or just the frame?) for Christmas.

Then you decided to upgrade for another $1500.

Please adopt me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely understand the frustration that this can cause, especially when it comes at a time where a big race looms. When I was looking at purchasing a new bike my LBS, who carries a wide range of high end bikes, said that ease of dealing with the manufacturer was something I should consider when making my decision. Bought the bike and a year or so later did in fact have a problem with the frame. Took it in and they made a quick call to the local manufacturer who gave me a couple of options. Take the new model of the same bike or upgrade to the next for a very small amount. I opted for the upgrade and was back riding within 6 days from when I first brought it in. Needless to say I was/am very happy. There are always going to be a few problems but I think asking your LBS (or maybe 2) what their experiences are with the manufacturers when they do have problems can help to avoid lengthy delays in getting you back on the road if your claim is valid. Being local definitely made things move a lot quicker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

DTMFA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Get the local Shop to check on stock from distributor. 54" no problem in stock, will ship overnight 3 days max - make payment 14th Dec. $3900.00. "

Maybe the problem lies in the fact that the bike is 2.54 times larger than an average bike, making it nearly impossible to ship using normal methods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$10 it was a Trek.
Quote Reply
Re: Would You Get another Frame from these guys? [E-Bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E_BELL, Geez really sorry mate but really cannot afford another right now, for some reason I seem to have run out of money. :-)
Yeah I know a lot of money on a kid but it is an attitude/results/performance based "contract"

Now to the other issues.

1. Yeah I'm not perfect - frame size should have read 54cm. :-)

2. The LBS have a very good rep and I believe have done their best. After the delivery issue I moved on however I now see that they were probably being very honest in their dealings with me.

3. I did not ask for a frame to play around on the intention was to purchase a new frame and then sell the replacement when and if it arrived.
On same issue - you have a choice, get the same model as has failed, downgrade or upgrade. My decision at the time was to upgrade AT MY EXPENSE - once bitten twice shy.

4. Delivery time - snip - make payment 14th Dec. 3 day max delivery was promised - supposed to be an overnight courier. 15 days - 2 weeks late - allowing for Christmas, New years etc would still make this 8 - 10 days late. Good service would have been to advise "hey we are experiencing difficulties or oops we really don't have the frame can you wait."

Cracked frame was 1 year later and post Christmas rush.

5. I see no need to Slam the Manufacturer - they are a major co. and produce a quality product, That said I do notice the latest version of the model has changes in the area where ours cracked. If I felt the MANUFACTURER was at fault here I would have no hesitation naming them.

Yes I have an issue with 1. local distributor, 2. A SINGLE FRAME from I suppose thousands manufactured. However being cautious I would sooner upgrade than buy more of the same...

The question is do I continue my love affair with these great bikes, being forced to deal with their local distributor and their lack of service. They have a protected market, on the model in question they charge $800 - $1000 above full costs to import privately - paying full retail offshore. The only reason to purchase locally at a premium is for ease with warranty issues. (supposedly)

Come Monday I think I shall take Bobs advice and DTMFA.

Thanks all for thoughts and comments. I take them ALL on board.

Oh yeah
synchronicityII not a trek - you owe someone/charity $10.

Taxi for young triathlete
Cervelo P3C - Cervelo P4 Evo - Cervelo S3.
Col Stewart Tricoach - alive, well and still coaching :-)
Quote Reply