Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Would You Accept This New Bike (pics)?
Quote | Reply
New P2C, yes I saw it in the original box and inspected it before the LBS built it up for me. No, they didn't pull a switcheroo on me.

Went in to pick it up. Noticed right off bubbling/cracking of paint around the front side of the seat post interface. Service Manager inspects by pulling seat post and feeling, looking on the inside of the seat tube - no cracking or other issues. Says "it's just the paint, sometimes it bubbles up at contact points like this". My thought is...this will only get worse in time. Took it home, inspected further. Trying to decide if I should call them and take it back.

Would you accept this?

Quote Reply
Re: Would You Accept This New Bike (pics)? [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it is a new toy and it should look perfect. That being said, I am a user of things. I would have a bunch of scratches on my new bike in a few week's time. If it is just the paint, it should be OK for the life of the bike.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a pretty easy going customer but I'd take that back. It can only get worse and if you ever decide to sell, you'll get dinged for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, if it is only cosmetic I would accept it. It is a bike and will get marks like this just from riding it.

Contemplating a multi-sport comeback
Quote Reply
Re: Would You Accept This New Bike (pics)? [couplahounds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
couplahounds wrote:
I'm a pretty easy going customer but I'd take that back. It can only get worse and if you ever decide to sell, you'll get dinged for it.
Yep. It only hurts you. There shouldn't be any problem with a warranty claim here seeing as you just bought it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no way. i understand things like this happen with use anyway, but you paid full price for a brand new bike, not a used one. you have every right to expect it to arrive in damn near mint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmm, my P2c is not painted right to the seatpost, it's from a couple yrs ago (the silver/red), so maybe they've changed their procedure for that area. The other thing is that there is something 3d under the paint right there. I can tell you that I bought just a frame from Tri-sports, and got a few hundred off because there was a dust speck under the clearcoat...I don't remember where, and can't even find it, that's how careful Cervelo inspected frames at the time. I'd take it back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. You're going to see it every time you ride the bike and new scratches or not, it is going to piss you off. I bought a Bianchi road rig a few years ago. She's beautiful. I noticed on the first day that the carbon fork had a small imperfection in the clear coat. Asked for a new one. It was ordered but it didn't have the celeste inlay so I didn't put it on and I let the issue die. now the shop is out of business and when I see that imperfection and I wish I had insisted on a new fork.

Since the bike is new, and it appears that they caused whatever is going on there, I would take it back and make sure you're taken care of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take it back. Will it eventually happen anyway? Probably, but it is a new bike. They may have overtightened the seatpost and caused that if it wasn't there previously.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar issue when I just bought my new bike. Took it home and noticed that there was a sizeable chip in the paint near the rear dropout. Luckily, the LBS was very nice about switching it out for a different bike. You just shelled out a good chunk of money, it should be pristine, IMO. It may get scratched later, but I would not accept the bike with those blemishes
Quote Reply
Re: Would You Accept This New Bike (pics)? [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
They may have overtightened the seatpost and caused that if it wasn't there previously.

That was my thought as well. When I looked at the frame straight out of the box two weeks ago I noticed a VERY small paint imperfection on the side of the seat post...super minor but I spotted it. This bubbling is new.

I called them, they are ordering me a new 56cm frame from Cervelo and swapping it out. They were lukewarm about doing this - not giving me grief but not apologizing or saying "we want you to be happy".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take it back. That's not a new bike. You couldn't sell it as new on eBay that's for sure haha.

I think the manager is just hoping he'll get away with it to save himself some hassle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take it back. That's not acceptable for any bike that costs more than $100.
Quote Reply
Re: Would You Accept This New Bike (pics)? [miwoodar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd take it back, but holy crap dude, resize your photos.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have same P2 with no cracking around seatpost. That being said, I do have a little chip on the right side where the cable enters and I see it every time I get on bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe contact cervelo directly and see what they say with the pictures

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Would You Accept This New Bike (pics)? [key4871] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
key4871 wrote:
I have same P2 with no cracking around seatpost.quote]

+1. Mine has zero cracking like that on it and has hundreds of miles. I wouldn't accept it if it only cost $20. Take it back!! Hurry!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a typical Cervelo paint job. I have never owned one that did not have paint flaking off in places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My car has a few dings and paint scratches on it now....but I wouldn't have bought it new that way. Why would a bike be different?

This is a new bike and a high $$$ one at that, expect perfection.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Would You Accept This New Bike (pics)? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Process is started. New 56cm frame on the way from Cervelo. Should have it swapped in a week or so. Thanks for the advice. I agree, paid for new, deserve new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you paid full price you should get a pristine product. I'd bring it back, or demand money back.
Quote Reply
Re: Would You Accept This New Bike (pics)? [AnorexicDildo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AnorexicDildo wrote:
That's a typical Cervelo paint job. I have never owned one that did not have paint flaking off in places.

Serious? Right out of the box brand new you've seen paint flaking off like that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just me or does it look like the material is bulging under the chipped paint?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutey NO!!

Prev Next