Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Worse than road rash...
Quote | Reply
...is that first scratch on a brand new bike. My wife wiped out on the group ride last night.

One of those stupid things that happens even to TDF riders. Her front wheel touched the rear wheel of the rider in front and down she went. Nice piece of road rash on her hip and thigh. Her first wipe out in about seven years, We're slated to do a sprint tri this weekend, so I hope she's up to it.

There were only four of us since we had been dropped by the front goup. Some nights you have it but last night was one of those you don't. I was right behind on her wheel when she went down and was fortunate to not be a part of it. We were on a slight incline doing about 30 kph at the time.

I stopped immediately and ran to her side where she was laying flat on her back. It looked serious and I was VERY concerned. As I kneeled beside her I frantically asked if she was OK.

Her response was "Don't worry about me, just check my ****ing bike."

It was her brand new titanium road bike on it's first group ride outing. The Dura-Ace rear derailler and front shifter had scrape marks and the time/impact pedal had a chunk out of it. Otherwise everything seemed fine. Everything still worked fine so the damage was only cosmetic.

I tried to cheer her up by insisting that the first scrape on a new bike is a badge of honor.
Quote Reply
Re: Worse than road rash... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy, you must be the strong sensitive type to immediately show concern for your wife. IMO, she has her priorities straight, what's wrong with you not checking the bike first. I would say you're a very lucky man. My wife get's pissed when something happens and my first question/concern is about the "vehicle". In all seriousness, I'm glad shes okay and that nothing serious is wrong with the bike. Good luck in your tri this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Worse than road rash... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope your wife heals well. "badge of honor" good thinking but I bet it didn't work. First scraps, dings and scratches are always hard until you learn that the thing you are sitting on is a tool. Bunnyman would disagree with me as he and many others treat their bikes like fragile yet desirable women, I am a little different than that, my bikes are like whores, there rode hard and put up wet. I give them what they need to perform properly a few dings and scratches and signs of wear signifies that they have the qualities and experience needed. Every now and again I find one that does a good job so I keep her in the line up and she will get a little better treatment. Moral of my rant is you checked the right one first. Good luck this weekend.
Quote Reply
Ouch... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear that both the wife and bike are ok.

It's also nice to hear of a woman with her priorities in order!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply