Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Workouts that are always beneficial [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is interesting because after reading your stuff I had you pegged as an interval guy.

Why do you advocate for easier eorknfor a time-crunched atlete?

Everyone in this thread appears focused on aerobic activity; that covers a lot of landscape...,anyone care to be more specific?? When i hear a generic statement like that i otherwise always assume Zone 1-2
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jun 14, 18 4:21
Quote Reply
Re: Workouts that are always beneficial [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
This is interesting because after reading your stuff I had you pegged as an interval guy.

Why do you advocate for easier eorknfor a time-crunched atlete?

Everyone in this thread appears focused on aerobic activity; that covers a lot of landscape...,anyone care to be more specific?? When i hear a generic statement like that i otherwise always assume Zone 1-2

Yes. I would love to hear some additional details as often material relating to time crunched athlete workouts involves strictly intervals and then recovery days.
Quote Reply
Re: Workouts that are always beneficial [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I love intervals and my athletes do intervals, but if there is one thing I've harped on here is that volume/aerobic development underpins everything you do. More cake less frosting. The cake is more important. Apply frosting at the right times

If you're a time crunched athlete riding 3d per week and doing intervals all 3 imo you're probably short changing yourself if you step back and look at the season as a whole.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20-30 min warmup on the bike 30 min x2 5 min easy spin after each - 70-80% ftp for each effort. 5-20 min warm down. 20-30 min run after- best workout for time crunch

Strava:https://www.strava.com/athletes/20890878
Quote Reply
Re: Workouts that are always beneficial [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
So put in those extra miles when I can and don't worry about it...just enjoy the time I get to train.

Boom! :-)

I would agree with this. Have 30 min? Throw on the runners and Go jog an easy 5k. Find a few of those a week. Those short easy workouts do eventually have a cumulative effect. A few of those a week and you're running an extra 60km a month.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my favorite saying of yours is more is more
Quote Reply
Re: Workouts that are always beneficial [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on your event schedule and goals.
There's maintaining, building and race prep.
If you want to get faster, more fitness, etc then you need to have focused workouts.
If you want to maintain, that's a different setup.
If you don't care about improvement or fitness loss, do what you enjoy!

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey question for ya

Are you saying replace intervals with aerobic? Or if you have extra time add more aerobic?

I figure if I am time crunched, mostly hard with some easy if I need to recover is best
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
jesus christ dude seriously?

^^^^^
Quote Reply
Re: Workouts that are always beneficial [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty sure I stole that from Paulo who stole it from somebody who stole it from someone who probably stole it from someone who definitely pilfered it from someone pilfering it from someone

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Workouts that are always beneficial [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]Are you saying replace intervals with aerobic? [/quote]

Not replace all intervals with aerobic but it would probably behoove a lot of time crunched athletes to use less frosting and bake more cake.

[quote]Or if you have extra time add more aerobic? [/quote] YES

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is CaptainCanada when we need him?

His workout is the correct answer here.
As it is always.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

First off, THANK YOU to everyone for the responses you have supplied.

There are a lot of questions out there that I should answer

Triathlon experience: 5 triathlons...just did my first Half IM
Scheduled for the rest of the seasons: Olympic, Olympic, Sprint, Olympic, Olympic, Half IM...then something else if I can squeeze it in after AC 70.3 (maybe some TT's or pure running races). IM Santa Rosa will be my first full distance next spring 2019.

Goals: Gain experience and get faster. That is why you see a focus on Olympic distance races in between two half irons this year. I may be new to triathlon, but I am not new to competitive sports. I played none triathlon sports in college.

Average time training: 8-10 hours a week and I have capacity for more now that I have a base under me...but I am not always sure when I will have that time. That is why I am asking what is always okay to do. Aerobic efforts are a no brainer as an addition based on what I am reading here.

How do I train: 2-3 hours of strength training a week (yoga once of twice, foam rolling, body weight). 3-4 bikes, 3-4 runs, 1 swim (maybe two swims if I am lucky...I am going to try and start fitting a lunch swim in every single week to make it two swims. I supplement with swim band work and flutter kicks on my back as of right now).

Keep the comments coming...I think this is a valuable thread.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Jun 14, 18 18:38
Quote Reply
Re: Workouts that are always beneficial [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]How do I train: 2-3 hours of strength training a week (yoga once of twice, foam rolling, body weight)[/quote]

I'd probably keep the foam rolling and replace the yoga & body weights with a S or B.
Triathlon/cycling/running/swimming are sports with a very low strength requirement. If it had a very high strength USAT and other NGB's would be hitting the meathead gym to find the next Olympian

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be okay with ditching the weights...for the most part.

The yoga isn't going anywhere. I have seen massive benefits from it. (flexibility, strength, less body pain, works as PT for old nagging ice hockey/skiing/soccer injuries, better breathing and heart rate control, mindfulness...and humble)
Quote Reply

Prev Next