Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Work and casual clothing for lean body composition
Quote | Reply
Hello All:
Congratulations, you're trained and lean. Condolences, you can't find clothes that fit in our plus-sized world.
I recently shopped for shirts and found that they all fit like a tent. I'm 5'8" and 156 lbs. Yes, I'm reasonably lean but not what anyone would call skinny. My new discovery was Land's End boy's clothing; size 20. Pinpoint oxford cloth no-iron shirts for $30 and polo shirts for <$20 and they fit nicely. This is not an add for Land's End. I'm sure other companies have high quality boys clothes that will fit lean men. Might be true on the women's side too. Good luck.
Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by: Bio_McGeek: Aug 1, 19 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: Work and casual clothing for lean body composition [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slim fit is the way to go for shirts.

My issue is that any pants that fit my waist are almost always super tight on my quads. Stretch fit jeans (banana republic specifically) seem to solve this problem nicely
Quote Reply
Re: Work and casual clothing for lean body composition [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slim fit, and size down - I used to be a large in shirt size in the 70s, but have become a medium, all while putting on 10lbs.. given trends, soon I'll need a small..
Quote Reply
Re: Work and casual clothing for lean body composition [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, my Costco small also fits like a tent. Gotta go to XS.

doug in co wrote:
slim fit, and size down - I used to be a large in shirt size in the 70s, but have become a medium, all while putting on 10lbs.. given trends, soon I'll need a small..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only buy made to measure dress shirts now. Indochino normally runs sales so you can get shirts for $50-$60 a piece.

I've also gone from a large to a medium while putting on 20 lbs over the last 15 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slim fit if you can, but also learn to sew and tailor your clothes. Tons of youtube videos from how to sew to quickly take in sides and arms. Learn on your old pit-stained dress shirts and polos, or go to the thrift store. Same with pants. It's not hard, can be done pretty quickly, and (compared with your tri gear) it's cheap.

Plus, then you can fix your SO and kids' clothes and earn bonus points for use on training time and extra gear (you saved $$!).

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'10", 135 here.

Mens Wearhouse and Express Men sell athletic fit and slim fit styles.

Both are way overpriced, but if you stalk their websites you can get very good deals. MWH will put $99 dress and casual shirts on sale 3 for $99 and Express is always running BOGO.

On pants, try the super skinny fit sized up a waist or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stumbled on these as I was picking up my T-Shirt for nyc.
https://stateandliberty.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smaller brands in men's fashion and apparel do offer Slim Fit shirts that by and large fit me well - and not to brag I'm even leaner than you - 6'2" and 158 lbs. You may need to pay a bit more for these, but often the quality is higher and well taken care of they will last a long time.

Most regular big brands have become ridiculous with their sizing - I'm often now wearing an XS. This does often come up for me with my Race/Event Announcing and Commentary work as it's often the need to have me in some form of branded Race or Event shirt while I'm working - makes sense as I'm VERY visible at events that I work with - but these races/events are often sourcing their Merch and stuff like this from larger supplier brands, Nike, was one at a recent event I worked at, and even the size S Nike Golf Shirt was really big for me.

For pants, I'm a total convert to the Lululemon ABC pant for me - Slim version. I have almost completely done away with jeans and only wear the ABC pants now - own 4 pairs. They are VERY versatile. Fashionable enough to pair with a dress shirt and a sports jacket/blazer, for a more formal dressier look, but also casual enough to just wear hanging out. I've been traveling a huge amount this year for work and I wear one pair when traveling, and roll-up another pair and put them in my roller bag!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Hello All:
Congratulations, you're trained and lean. Condolences, you can't find clothes that fit in our plus-sized world.
I recently shopped for shirts and found that they all fit like a tent. I'm 5'8" and 156 lbs. Yes, I'm reasonably lean but not what anyone would call skinny. My new discovery was Land's End boy's clothing; size 20. Pinpoint oxford cloth no-iron shirts for $30 and polo shirts for <$20 and they fit nicely. This is not an add for Land's End. I'm sure other companies have high quality boys clothes that will fit lean men. Might be true on the women's side too. Good luck.
Cheers,
Jim

5'7", 150lbs (145 when at race weight).

Certain brands work better than others. Look for slim fit cuts. I find JCrew and Banana Republic slim-fit smalls work well for me. Don't bother with Eddie Bauer. Their smallest clothes could fit on a decent size bear.

Levis 511s fit me pretty well in a 28x30 (this is clearly a vanity size because my waist actually measures 30")

Some pants brands I find vanity size too much and their 30" waist pants fall off of me, but they don't go smaller than 30.

Shopping for clothing is a frustrating experience for me. I try not to do it often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TONS of options now. Look for Ben Sherman, some Calvin Klein, etc. Nordstrom Rack is a great place to find deals. For suits, etc use Combatent Gent, which sells jacket and pants separately, so the usual 5 inch drop is not the deal. They have really nice stuff....

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Work and casual clothing for lean body composition [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For quads, try Levi's 560. They worked for me even back in my quadzilla match sprinter days. If I recall correctly, I was around 25" mid thigh circumference.

indianacyclist wrote:
Slim fit is the way to go for shirts.
My issue is that any pants that fit my waist are almost always super tight on my quads. Stretch fit jeans (banana republic specifically) seem to solve this problem nicely
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Hello All:
Cheers,
Jim

5' 9", 145 here. Levi's 541 stretchy jeans help accommodate cycling legs and small waist although they still end up sagging... unless I go to the Levi's outlet stores it's hard to find the sub-30 waist (as the other poster noted, there's a lot of vanity sizing going on and even though my waist hasn't changed in 20 years, jeans of the same number size don't fit the way they used to). Slim fit shirts (RW & Co had decent selection last I checked). If you can find stores that cater to oriental physique (International Clothiers used to be a thing here in Calgary) then you can maybe find suitable stuff, as long as you're ok with whatever general style trend they are currently pushing.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use bonobos for a majority of my clothing. Good quality and the fit is usually perfect with their "tailored" fit.

If you are willing to spend a little more head over to Proper Cloth. Made to measure shirts. You can go to their showroom in NYC or submit your dimensions online. Free exchanges if you need to alter your inputted dimensions too. Super high quality and the fit is unbeatable once you get it dialed in. I've got a promo code if you want some $$ off.
Quote Reply
Re: Work and casual clothing for lean body composition [grtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'7" 138 here. I get XS Shirts at the polo web site; the nice thing is since no one buys XS they're always on sale! You also can't find them in outlets though. I found one XS shirt at the outlet in Cabazon (near Palm Springs).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go slim athletic fit if I can find it. I also have broader shoulders so "normal" sized shorts tend to flair out on my lower back like a cape or something or they shrink in the mid section and float above my waist. Pants I wear lower, and its always hit or miss. I prefer Levis slim 312s I think. Still looking for good shorts and pants. Shorts I like an inch or two above the knee.

Boys clothes will def not fit. 6'2"ish and around 178-185 depending on whatever the fuck goes on with my weight. Still haven't figured out that enigma.

edit: maybe the pants are 512s? I get confused with numbers, but they are slim, low ride pants and the material tends to be thicker so they maintain their shape nicely.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Last edited by: AlyraD: Aug 1, 19 11:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you get to the higher end, the opposite problem tends to crop up. At Nordstrom's annual sale (last week) there were tons of slim fit (and even extra slim fit) shirts. All the sale jeans were skinny cut except one. I have a Starter golf shirt from WalMart size M, and a Rag & Bone one from Nordstrom size XL....they fit the same.

What seems to have disappeared are clothes for "athletic" builds (i.e. if you have lats and quads, but a thin waist nothing fits).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
find some shirts you like on sale, at a clothing exchange or via an app like poshmark, then go get it tailored. that's the best way I've found, especially for shirts

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'9" - 158 lbs. I have shoulders and quads.

Shirts - shop at Nordstroms - Ted Baker and David Donahue make slim fit dress shirts.

Ted Baker dress pants work as well.

Casual pants and shorts - I roll Kuhl from REI. Fit my quads and waist at the same time.

http://www.teamodz.com
http://www.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Re: Work and casual clothing for lean body composition [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
What seems to have disappeared are clothes for "athletic" builds (i.e. if you have lats and quads, but a thin waist nothing fits).

FILA has some athletic fit Golf shirts that work pretty well for this build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at Prana, get fit for slim people.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Hello All:
Cheers,
Jim

Jim, I'm 5'8" and 128-130. Go figure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different height/dimensions, similar problem. I found that stitchfix zeroed-in on the fit/cut/size that fits me after a couple of tries.
Quote Reply
Re: Work and casual clothing for lean body composition [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only clothes I've bought in the last 10 years have been ski related, bike related or triathlon related. The rest of the time has been spent in flannel lined jeans from LL Bean (Montana ski season) or various cargo pants left over from the 1980's (Florida). I'm usually a mess but I do think I look rather smashing in my Kiwami Tri suit - I wish I could wear it more often, like grocery shopping maybe.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Work and casual clothing for lean body composition [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For shirts I've had luck with Express men's slim/super slim fit. They don't billow when tucked and fit pretty well for people with wider shoulders than waist. Also wont break the bank.

For pants...eeesh, dont bother.
Quote Reply

Prev Next