Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Women's Olympic Triathlon
Quote | Reply
Draw is out for beach position. Money's on Gwen still. She's got enough good swimmers around that she'll make front pack in the water and even if there's a break will run down anyone. I honestly believe that with the olympic gold on the line she could pull back ~2:00 on the run.

https://pbs.twimg.com/...JHWgAA8hli.jpg:large

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After seeing the men on the bike course, I think the only chance for someone to win from the break is Flora Duffy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can someone please post the link to the live feed again, like they did with the mens. That was very helpful. And what time Pacific coast time does it start?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7am Pacific time

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the link for US viewers.

This link has the start list and will have splits under the "Results" tab.
Last edited by: mdm81: Aug 19, 16 11:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the women can get a break on Gwen by following the Brownlees example and using the hill.
I've read that Gwen is not comfortable descending and is terrified of the descent here (last week's Sports Illustrated). I think they can use that to their advantage. Whether or not they can get far enough ahead that she won't still catch them anyway is the question.
The women's podium is so tough to predict. I feel like there are at least 10 women that could be on there

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
After seeing the men on the bike course, I think the only chance for someone to win from the break is Flora Duffy.

Go Flora!!!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watching Jorgensen chase Duffy on the run, is like watching a shark chase a cute little seal.

You have to really hope Duffy gets away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Draw is out for beach position. Money's on Gwen still. She's got enough good swimmers around that she'll make front pack in the water and even if there's a break will run down anyone. I honestly believe that with the olympic gold on the line she could pull back ~2:00 on the run.

I don't see Gwen getting gold. She has a good start position, but if Flora attacks the bike and Spirig can bridge after the swim an go with, the race will ride away from Gwen. The hill/descent does not favor her at all. I don't think she has 90 seconds to give up tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any other American's feeling internally conflicted? On the one hand I want Gwen to win because,....go America. On the other hand I really would love to see a breakaway on the bike for entertainment purposes. Who else could go with Duffy? Gentle if she has a good swim? Spirig? Guess I'll hope for a massive breakaway on the bike and Gwen to finally close it down with a sprint past Duffy in the finishers chute!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Gwen's only real risk of not winning gold, is bike crash or mechanical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Can someone please post the link to the live feed again, like they did with the mens. That was very helpful. And what time Pacific coast time does it start?

Thanks

http://olympics.cbc.ca/...0/index.html?intcmp=[#]-schline-calltoaction

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting story in the NYT today on Jorgensen's mental prep for tomorrow - http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/...on-is-a-mental-race/

Who do you think is feeling/felt more pressure to win: Jorgensen or the Aussie ladies in the Oly tri debut in Sydney in 2000?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 19, 16 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
tallswimmer wrote:

I don't see Gwen getting gold. She has a good start position, but if Flora attacks the bike and Spirig can bridge after the swim an go with, the race will ride away from Gwen. The hill/descent does not favor her at all. I don't think she has 90 seconds to give up tomorrow.
I agree. I reckon Spirig is gonna shock them on the bike and hold off GJ on the run. Duffy should make the bike work for her but will be watching over her shoulder. I actually put money down today for Spirig to take gold.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [Paolo55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit concerned that Jorgensen might mentally crumble in tomorrow's race - particular in terms of a front pack of Duffy and a few others on the bike dropping her and then feeling the need to over do it on the descents.

I think Spirig will be over a minute down after the swim.
Last edited by: messien: Aug 19, 16 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [lschaan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lschaan wrote:
Who else could go with Duffy? Gentle if she has a good swim? Spirig? Guess I'll hope for a massive breakaway on the bike and Gwen to finally close it down with a sprint past Duffy in the finishers chute!

The only way Gentle and Spirig get in a break with Duffy is if the break doesn't go until the entire field is together. Possible, but I don't see Duffy sitting around waiting for them to make up the minute plus deficit out of the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

First lap of the bike will be crucial yet again. Gwen's the odds on favourite but as the old saying goes there's many a slip twix' cup and lip. I'll be rooting for a Jenkins / Hewitt / Spirig / Duffy group riding away on lap 1, with Gwen running from 2 minutes down would make for an exciting final run.

I believe Brett Sutton's earlier comments re Helen Jenkins being the main beneficiary of the US selection will actually prove the irony of the race.... I have a feeling 3 of the above 4 will be in the break and Nicola will end up dragging Gwen up to within striking distance....we'll see.

Be exciting for sure however it un-folds.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance the US women help each other out at all? Their positioning provides them the opportunity to work together. I know they are all contenders, but any chance they agree to help each other get to the run then every woman for themselves? I realize this means Gwen very likely wins the gold, however if they don't, there is a good chance other groups work to distance them and the result is no podium spots for the US at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If spirig is 20s behind Duffy, which means she's likely behind Gwen, there is zero chance she's going to bike through the front group + catch Duffy.

If she swims front pack that would be one of greatest swims ever, right? That's only chance she catches Duffy. Now she doesn't need to catch Duffy cus of stronger run.

But there is zero chance she solos all the way up to Duffy, if Duffy attacks from start.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tlc13 wrote:
I think Gwen's only real risk of not winning gold, is bike crash or mechanical.
id suggest her risk of not winning gold really comes from not being front pack in the swim and then being 2nd pack on the bike and having to push it. Then it's all on for the run.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really care how it unfolds, it's our first realistic chance at a gold medal in a really long time. Brian wellman was the only other shot that I can think of, triple jumper back in the 90's who was ranked as high as 3rd in the world, IIRC.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My top 3 prediction

Spirig (Mainly cause like Alistair, she will turn on the hurt like no one else in that field will!)
Jenkins (But could be any of the Brit girls!)
Duffy (Probably not got the run for the win, but with expected break away like Schoeman yesterday will hold 3rd.

Jorgensen is obviously the massive favourite, but I just get a feeling that this wont be her day (no science to that btw) Something silly like a puncture or losing time in T1 to the others may rattle her too much
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She may not win, but I can't see her "mentally breaking".

You are talking about the greatest female athlete ever. She may get beat and good on that person if it happens, but mental fatigue I don't think will be reason why.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [lschaan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lschaan wrote:
Any other American's feeling internally conflicted? On the one hand I want Gwen to win because,....go America. On the other hand I really would love to see a breakaway on the bike for entertainment purposes. Who else could go with Duffy? Gentle if she has a good swim? Spirig? Guess I'll hope for a massive breakaway on the bike and Gwen to finally close it down with a sprint past Duffy in the finishers chute!

Nope - I want to see the 3 American's in the lead pack on the bike. Then Gwen pulls the other 2 away from the rest of the field for about 5k and then she runs away with the other 2 taking Silver and Bronze.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic Triathlon [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
lschaan wrote:

Nope - I want to see the 3 American's in the lead pack on the bike. Then Gwen pulls the other 2 away from the rest of the field for about 5k and then she runs away with the other 2 taking Silver and Bronze.

This. 'Cause........'Murica!!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply

Prev Next