Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Women's Olympic 1500m - Falling from grace
Quote | Reply
Okay, I get that Uceny could be frustrated with tripping twice in two years, but not since Mary Decker Slaney have I witnessed such a tantrum on the track. WTF happened to "get up and finish"?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Last edited by: brider: Aug 10, 12 22:50
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic 1500m - Falling from grace [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was she injured in the fall?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic 1500m - Falling from grace [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.

IMO, she should have gotten up and finished instead of the pouty, cry-baby, pity party she had for herself on the track.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic 1500m - Falling from grace [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, that was my first thought - was she injured? but she immediately seemed to start pounding the track and getting upset rather than trying to get to her feet or look up at the pack. i thought she should've at least got up and jogged it in, out of respect for the race. if i'm at the olympics, i'm finishing the damn thing, even if i have to crawl.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic 1500m - Falling from grace [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps the 4x400 mens relay team could give her a pep talk for next time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At first I felt really bad for her, but not after I saw the tantrum she threw. I would have a lot more respect for her if she had finished the race. Plus, it was partly her fault. She should have raced closer to the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. I couldn't believe she was still on the ground crying after the race finished. Embarrassing. I'm all for her being upset, but don't do it when you are still n the track representing your country

Nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares if she finished? What does it matter? What difference does it make? Her limping across the finish line would have made absolutely no difference.

This is a fundamental error that so many people make and don't understand about elite level athletics. It's not about "finishing", it's about "winning."

Imagine if you'd spent the last 5-10 years of your life thinking about one thing - winning a medal at the 2012 Olympics. Everything in your life is centered around that one goal. And this one goal is completely all-consuming, because that's what it takes to medal in an event as competitive as the Olympic 1500. You sacrifice relationships, job opportunities, fun trips, etc... just so you can scrape by on a paltry salary and hope, beyond hope, to medal in the Olympics. Medaling in the 1500 takes is a level of commitment and single-minded focus unfathomable to the vast majority of the population. And then lets say you beat the odds - you manage to stay healthy, peak at the right time, get through the qualifiers, etc... But then, with 400 meters to go, you're tripped in an instance of extreme bad luck, and bang, just like that, the dream is over. Sure, you could get up and finish, but what's the point? You didn't make all of those sacrifices just to be able to run 1500 meters. You made those sacrifices so that you could win an Olympic medal in the 1500. The last 5 years of your life just went up in flames.

Is it ok to be upset in that situation? Will you please allow that? Or are you too concerned with being judgmental? She didn't hurt anyone, or break anything. She just sat there as 5-10 years of emotion and frustration came to the surface. Situations like that are absolutely emotionally crushing. If you don't understand that, then... I don't know what else to say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
WTF happened to "get up and finish"?

O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!
--Shakespeare

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic 1500m - Falling from grace [macleandougj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Said!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you can completely understand how she felt and can say with certainty that you would have responded differently (eye roll).

I'm also sure that when she finds out she lost the respect of a bunch of ST wannabes she is going to be absolutely crushed. Maybe you guys should post your email addresses so she can send a personal apology.

Seriously guys, get over yourselves.
Last edited by: Sluglas: Aug 11, 12 5:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I could think of was Mary Decker and Suzy Favor Hamilton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
macleandougj wrote:
Who cares if she finished? What does it matter? What difference does it make? Her limping across the finish line would have made absolutely no difference.

This is a fundamental error that so many people make and don't understand about elite level athletics. It's not about "finishing", it's about "winning."

Imagine if you'd spent the last 5-10 years of your life thinking about one thing - winning a medal at the 2012 Olympics. Everything in your life is centered around that one goal. And this one goal is completely all-consuming, because that's what it takes to medal in an event as competitive as the Olympic 1500. You sacrifice relationships, job opportunities, fun trips, etc... just so you can scrape by on a paltry salary and hope, beyond hope, to medal in the Olympics. Medaling in the 1500 takes is a level of commitment and single-minded focus unfathomable to the vast majority of the population. And then lets say you beat the odds - you manage to stay healthy, peak at the right time, get through the qualifiers, etc... But then, with 400 meters to go, you're tripped in an instance of extreme bad luck, and bang, just like that, the dream is over. Sure, you could get up and finish, but what's the point? You didn't make all of those sacrifices just to be able to run 1500 meters. You made those sacrifices so that you could win an Olympic medal in the 1500. The last 5 years of your life just went up in flames.

Is it ok to be upset in that situation? Will you please allow that? Or are you too concerned with being judgmental? She didn't hurt anyone, or break anything. She just sat there as 5-10 years of emotion and frustration came to the surface. Situations like that are absolutely emotionally crushing. If you don't understand that, then... I don't know what else to say.

----

Normann is that you?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJWhNg-QiTc

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2

Its sad how often we pass judgement on pro athletes around here based on a quick observation. I have seen plenty of tears watching the last two weeks of the olympics. Just because Uceny was more animated than most others does not make her a poor sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic 1500m - Falling from grace [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
At first I felt really bad for her, but not after I saw the tantrum she threw. I would have a lot more respect for her if she had finished the race. Plus, it was partly her fault. She should have raced closer to the front.

this is such the mentality of some MOP triathlete. newsflash: she wasn't there "just to finish." she was there to win a medal and was in perfect shape to do that with 400 meters to go. once she got tripped and the field was rolling into a 58 second last lap, there was no way that she would have been able to catch them. even aregawi, who is a 3:56 runner and who merely took a couple of awkward steps avoiding uceny, blew herself up catching up to the field. another newsflash: uceny doesn't care whether or not she won your respect or not.

it also wasn't her fault. at all. she got tripped from behind. did you even watch the race? she was in lane 2 near the front most of the race. even if she led, which would have been a surefire way to lose, how does that prevent one from getting tripped from behind (i'll help you out -- it doesn't)? moreover, since when does not being at the front mean someone is at fault no matter what else happens? my guess is that you never have run a race on the track and you would be best not to make comments like this in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
macleandougj wrote:

I agree. But, why allow the pace to go at high school speed setting up the opportunity for such disaster. 75 second quarter? 2:24 at the half? Allowing this pace means legs are going to tangle. Oceny has every right to be crushed and cry on the track, but she's lived through it before and if anyone should have seized the race because of the inevitability of a trip or losing a shoe or simply enabling a subpar runner with a blazing kick to win, it was her. I'm sure she'll be questioning this for quite some time. It's one thing to not set WR pace in the Olympics, but to allow a pace that wins gold in 4:10 WITH a 0:58 last lap, well, she's got herself to blame there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Derek Redmond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
Okay, I get that Uceny could be frustrated with tripping twice in two years, but not since Mary Decker Slaney have I witnessed such a tantrum on the track. WTF happened to "get up and finish"?

This is a term that has been coined by BOP marathon and triathlon finishers. The goal is not to FINISH but to WIN. Could have done without the tantrum though.

Quote | Reply
ComidaDeluxe wrote:
Derek Redmond.

Or the Chinese 110 hurdler this week who went down after the second hurdle but hopped on one leg to the finish.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic 1500m - Falling from grace [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trackie clm wrote:
ComidaDeluxe wrote:
Derek Redmond.

Or the Chinese 110 hurdler this week who went down after the second hurdle but hopped on one leg to the finish.

liu? liu hopped right off the track after crashing into the first hurdle and, after winning the gold in athens, has cleared a grand total of 0 hurdles in the past 2 olympics. the guy was hurt badly and never should have started. which fantasyland do you live in that you think someone 1-legged hopped the 110HH this week?
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic 1500m - Falling from grace [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
trackie clm wrote:
ComidaDeluxe wrote:
Derek Redmond.

liu? liu hopped right off the track after crashing into the first hurdle and, after winning the gold in athens, has cleared a grand total of 0 hurdles in the past 2 olympics. the guy was hurt badly and never should have started. which fantasyland do you live in that you think someone 1-legged hopped the 110HH this week?

If you had seen the whole episode, Lui got up after a few minutes, and hopped on one leg along the length of the course to the last hurdle and kissed it, apparently signalling his final departure from the sport. It was actually pretty touching, as he seemed determined to finish this one last race before letting things go.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic 1500m - Falling from grace [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
trackie clm wrote:
ComidaDeluxe wrote:
Derek Redmond.

You didn't seem to watch all the coverage.

He did go off the track, but came back and did hop the entire way to the finish line, towards the end with help from some of his fellow racers.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic 1500m - Falling from grace [crolson24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crolson24 wrote:
brider wrote:

This is a term that has been coined by BOP marathon and triathlon finishers and some OLYMPIC athletes. The goal is not to FINISH but to WIN. Could have done without the tantrum though.

Quote | Reply
Yeah, the idea is to win, not just finish. No shit, that's why they only give medals to the top 3, and not fiinisher's medals. But in order to win, you still have to cross the finish line. And the whole reason that fall bappened was because the pack was bunched up because the pace was below tactical, to almost jr high levels. You've all seen the videos where one gets tripped, falls, gets up and wins. Youtube has them by the dozen. At the pace they were running she could have gotten up and caught back on at the very least, and maybe even gotten into contention. Jeez, the pack was still PASSING her when she started her tantrum, pounding the track with her hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
Yeah, the idea is to win, not just finish. No shit, that's why they only give medals to the top 3, and not fiinisher's medals. But in order to win, you still have to cross the finish line. And the whole reason that fall bappened was because the pack was bunched up because the pace was below tactical, to almost jr high levels. You've all seen the videos where one gets tripped, falls, gets up and wins. Youtube has them by the dozen. At the pace they were running she could have gotten up and caught back on at the very least, and maybe even gotten into contention. Jeez, the pack was still PASSING her when she started her tantrum, pounding the track with her hands.

they closed in 58 so how on earth do you think she was going to get up, catch the pack AND held on??? aregawi, who is much faster than uceny who didn't even fall, blew herself up catching up to the pack. did you see what she looked like the last 25 meters? this wasn't some jv high school meet and i am not aware of dozens of videos of olympic finals where someone falls on the last lap, gets up and then medals. please provide some links of these videos. her race was over when she went down. the fact that she didn't get up and finish in 10th to appease NBC and you BOP triathletes doesn't make me think anything less of her. i also like the fact that she refused to talk to the media afterward and be subjected to what i am sure were going to be absurd questions.
Quote Reply

Prev Next