Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It
Quote | Reply
Surprised this has not been mentioned yet:

http://wittyandpretty.com/...and-took-20-selfies/

There has been a bit of a micro-blow-up over this. I know that bandit-ing has been discussed here before, but this is the first time that I have seen it talked about more in the out-and-open.

Read through the comments, and people take the usual sides - many shrugging the shoulders, and saying, "What's the deal?", "She was just having fun", or "I do it all the time" etc . .

While others are as you might expect are more hard-line about it.

Know this, there is no race director out there who takes this lightly. While on the surface it may seem like, it's all a laugh, if things go wrong, it can spiral out of control and become very costly for the RD in many ways very quickly!

Bottom line - bandit-ing is not good. I know I speak for almost all Race Directors . . please don't do it!

Flame away! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe they've deleted some comments but all I saw were people saying she was a sad POS for not paying and using course resources; which I agree with. She really needs to change that blog title because she's not very witty and she sure as hell ain't pretty. What's with the toungue when she smiles?

trav

Quote | Reply
But she paid for it 2 times before! And tried to get into the race the night before!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I've always kinda said, if you want to bandit a race, just STFU and do it and don't brag about it. Don't shove it back into the face of athletes who are paying for resources that it's cool because you were you know just using "public" roads. Yawn

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She seems incredibly annoying in general. But I bandit races occasionally, it's all good.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah "public roads" that were permitted to be closed and cops hired to control traffic.

That entire page was annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [dzxc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh its ok, anything over 2 hours and the course should be closed down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know which is worse:

Everything about her blog post

or

The fact that I opened it and read it, including some of the comments, knowing what I'd find ahead of time.

or

Fleck sending us over to her site to read and discuss here

I'm disgusted with all 3 of us at this point.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if it is still there but she had a rape joke too. Completely classless.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I skimmed the article, yeah, its still there. I agree with you.

I just don't get why anyone would want to bandit a race. either enter officially and actually be a part of the race, or go for a run on the course when there isn't a race going on. But what the hell do I know. I grew up in a small place where everyone knew everyone else, so you just didn't do those kind of things.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read that yesterday.

I take issue with the title of her blog. It is loaded with factual inaccuracies.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm disgusted with all 3 of us at this point.

Garrette,

Yes. I was torn. By putting the link there I am just contributing more traffic to her blog. In fact, if you read through the comments, the blogger, has responded with an LOL-attitude to all this, seeming to care little about the propriety and seriousness of it all, and said as much - that she's loving all the traffic to her, previously unknown, and little followed blog.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 2, 14 10:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could the RD press charges? She's openly admitting on the internet to committing a crime. Even provides photo evidence. Some people are just plain stupid.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel for her FB friends and all the selfies she probably posted.

Cute picture of the dog.

Quote | Reply
She should have had to clean the porta potties post race. We live in the same town with a few mutual friends. I may tell her that if I bump into her.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's openly admitting on the internet to committing a crime.

I'm not sure that banditing a race would be taken seriously by the police under the criminal code.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't and won't read the blog. But: what crime could she possibly have committed? Did she steal T-shirt? Did she steal food? Or did she simply run on - presumably - a public road? I don't care -at all - if anyone simply runs the course without registering ( unless the course is in private property).

A race doesn't own the roads when they are given a permit to conduct a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's a closed course, trespassing comes to mind. Unless the race was free, isn't stealing a consideration. I'm just throwing things out there but it's just annoying how inconsiderate some people are when they decide to bandit.

Most of the time banditing is a relatively harmless issue. However if something goes wrong on the course, it could be disastrous for the RD from a liability standpoint.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I didn't and won't read the blog. But: what crime could she possibly have committed? Did she steal T-shirt? Did she steal food? Or did she simply run on - presumably - a public road? I don't care -at all - if anyone simply runs the course without registering ( unless the course is in private property).

A race doesn't own the roads when they are given a permit to conduct a race.

Admittedly I'm an old fuddy duddy but what if everyone did that?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She can be banned from all future races put on by this RD.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
even a closed course generally allows people not enrolled in the race to be there, e.g. as spectators, walking along the sidewalk, and so forth. Maybe you could charge her with petty theft (for water, gatorade, etc) I'm not saying it is perfectly legal, I'm just saying that most PD's have better things to do with their time.

Don't get me wrong, it's a dickish thing to do. I'm just not sure it is worth pursuing criminally.

If something goes wrong on the course, I would imagine that she would be treated as any other spectator and not as a participant. That's what would make sense to me, anyway. edit to add: I understand that insurance co's may complicate the issue. If she gets injured somehow on the course while banditing, the race insurance company should not be on the hook for that. if she injures someone else, that opens another kettle of worms, and this is why banditing is bad (other than just plain being a dick and not having respect for others).

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 2, 14 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But: what crime could she possibly have committed?

Did she steal T-shirt? Based on the pics, no I don't think so. But from comments someone mentioned a medal.

Did she steal food? Yes there is a pic of her eating from an aid station.

Or did she simply run on - presumably - a public road? This wasn't a case of going out for a long run, and "oops" you are on the run course. She basically blogs step by step her actions, including waiting in the start corral.

I don't care -at all - if anyone simply runs the course without registering ( unless the course is in private property). You don't but insurance companies do when they deal with athletes, and thus RD's do.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigger thing here is that she get blackballed from local race productions. I have no clue how serious she takes this, but if every race organization in that area, banned her from racing, that would be a great move in my book.

Like I said, if you want to bandit a race, just do it. Don't tell me about it, don't brag about it, just do your dirty deed and be done. But when you get on your high horse and act as if you were in the right for doing this because you "tried" to do it the right way, well no sympathy for me.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw it too and it is sad on several levels. She needs to rethink / adjust her attitude.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one nice thing about swimming. No bandits.

Deadline for Provincials is Friday, but the meet is full as of yesterday. if you didn't get your entry in on time, too bad, you are SOL.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next