Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wipperman chain, $399, holy crap!
Quote | Reply
Thumbing through the new Performance catalog yesterday, I came across:

http://www.performancebike.com/...18299&Store=Bike

$399. I thought it was a typo! Reminds me of the SNL spoof commercial for the new Gillette 5-bladed razor with the tag line, "Gillette, because you'll believe anything."

--ashayk
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chain, $399, holy crap! [ashayk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"$399."

wippermann has another chain, WAAAY more affordable, splitting the weight difference between standard and titanium, and much closer to the weight of the standard chain.

frankly, tho i love wippermann, i'd stick to its standard chain. chains are not my favorite place to try to save weight.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I checked the link just for fun. Ready for this.....

THEY'RE SOLD OUT!

There just can't be that many people willing to shell out $400 for a CHAIN! Can there?
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chain, $399, holy crap! [kvelarde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"There just can't be that many people willing to shell out $400 for a CHAIN! Can there? "

Nobody in my socio-economic class.
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chain, $399, holy crap! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its probably one of those items they only special order. I have a ride with total bling bling, and I still can't possibly imagine paying that sort of quid for a chain.
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chain, $399, holy crap! [kvelarde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wipperman actually started pre-selling and marketing those Ti chains sometime last summer with most distributors like Sinclair only ordering for shops that pre-ordered so it isn't surprising that demand has exceeded supply. I don't think many of those Ti chains really made it to the "public" marketplace because most people have been waiting so long...

I've found Wipperman steel chains to be stiffer than Shimano. My Wipperman chains seem to shift more slowly than my Shimano chains, and I generally have to slow my pedal stroke considerably more (than Shimano) to shift to the big ring with my Wipperman. Not a big problem though I found this out at the beginning of a road race (in the rain) after having (ill-advisedly) switched to this new Wipperman chain... and they seem to break in a little.... I think shifting performance is a tad better for Shimano but Wipperman gets the nod for ease of maintenance (and color-coordination).
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chain, $399, holy crap! [kelvin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a search and found a place that has them for $279 www.bullteksports.com . Now THAT'S affordable!
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chain, $399, holy crap! [robc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please explain what makes the Wipperman better than a dura-ace?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with Slowman, there are far better places to save weight than in your chain. Stick with the "standard" Wipperman, Shimano, or SRAM.

Performance (and now Nashbar) put lots of things in their catalogs and on their website that they don't actually have. They rely on these items to "bait" you into calling up/logging in and placing the order. If you make your order over the phone, they will at least tell you. If you do an order over the internet, you don't find out the item is out of stock until your package arrives sans half the items you thought you were getting.
Last edited by: john: Feb 26, 04 6:35
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chain, $399, holy crap! [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Please explain what makes the Wipperman better than a dura-ace?
It is not a Shimano chain - duh.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply