Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Winter clothing
Quote | Reply
So, I moved from El Paso (where it will probably be in the high 80s low 90s for another month) to the east side of the Cascades where it is a very coldish 33F this morning (typical January in El Paso) and I am thinking that preparing AZ indoor is going to suck unless I buy some real winter clothing.

So, yes, I know some of you see really cold weather where you are, but I really don't do well in the cold, so I need to get something that really protects...Clothing of choice? Preferably something that won't turn me into the Michelin man? Heck, anything I could use for both riding and XC skiing?
Quote Reply
Re: Winter clothing [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Layers are key.

Craft long underwear (base layer), running tights, long sleeve shirt, running jacket, hat, and gloves. I run and xc ski in that down to -5 F or so.

I don't know about riding, however. I ride the trainer in the winter--because of snow, not cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,

Surprised that you are not hip to this, an experienced vet like yourself, but having lived in such a warm place for such a long time I can see how you would be.

There is a whole bunch of stuff that you can get and most of the leading technical apparel companies have a good selection, but the one really nice thing to have is a light weight jacket with a bit of thermal protection that is wind resistant on the front and not on the back. These are typically sold as a winter riding jacket but they also work extremely well for XC skiing. You can use base layers underneath to vary how much cold you can stand.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 to what the other poster mentioned, and add a balaclava to your list to keep your neck/throat warm. Get one with a face opening large enough that you can use it as just a neck warmer if your head starts to sweat too much.

-------------
"Life is fragile - we are all just a slip or a car crash away from being a very different person."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to echo hgrong here... layers = key.

I currently live in Wisconsin for what it's worth; I've been running outside when it's well into the sub-zero temps, and have attempted to ride when it's been in the single digits. I say "attempted" because snow makes things tricky for a number of reasons - makes the roads more narrow, hides surface imperfections, and so on. Stick with the trainer when possible, and ride on those "nice" days.

Anyway... layers - here's what I've found to work really well:

- Giordana sleeveless base layer ($20)
- Underarmor HeatGear mock turtle neck ($50)
- Reebok Windblocker (stretch-fit) ($25)
- "One More Mile" fleece ($15 - on sale right now)

BOTTOM

- Underarmour HeatGear tights ($50)
- Giordana Silverline Roubaix (when riding) ($225)
- Knee-length shorts ($20)

GLOVES

- Pearl Izumi Pittards Elite ($45)

I usually wear a beanie-type hat and if it's extremely cold, a fleece neck warmer that I got from a local snowmobile dealership. My legs don't tend to get cold unless I'm riding, so the single layer of UA + shorts provides enough warmth for running. I picked-up the Reebok windproof shirt/jacket on sale at Kohls... I bought several, and love them. They're super thin but stop nearly all wind.

The One More Mile fleece is great as well - super lightweight, but wow, does it insulate; and they're on sale right now. I questioned how well these would work when I bought them, but I've been happy with them. At $15, it's worth a shot no matter what.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x3 on the good advice from the other posters.

I ride with bibs / legwarmers, and put a pair of winter-running tights over when it gets really cold, like -10, -15 degr. C.

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 on windproof (for the bike); if you eliminate the windchill and layer up a bit underneath...well, i find i can break a good sweat in sub-freezing weather. and shoe covers of some sort are a must as well.

Hungry for tri!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot one thing . . . Smartwool socks. Incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Francois,
Multiple layers of wind and water blocking clothing make a huge difference in my comfort level, especially if I'm going to be out for many hours. Here are my 5 favorites for skiing:

http://www.sporthill.com/...ID=2100&gender=m These pants last forever - I think I've had mine for going on 10 years.

http://www.craft-usa.com/...p;id=510&bcsex=m

http://www.craft-usa.com/...p;id=489&bcsex=m

http://www.sugoi.com/....247-SUGOI-TI-Jacket
(this used to be their RS Zero jacket, which now has different construction)

SmartWool socks

Chris
Last edited by: chrisesposito: Sep 28, 09 8:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're a size large in tights these would be great,
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=2516205;#2516205

As other have said windproofing is key and makes a huge difference in terms of keeping you warm, but not looking like the michellin boy.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Softshell fleece in both tights and jackets. Both come in a variety of configurations. They are very light, very warm but breathe enough for aerobic activities. The soft shell exterior is usually wind-bloc and water repellent. It is a remarkable and useful combo here in the Pac NW. Sugoi has an outstanding softshell cycling jersey. Sporthill also has excellent garments for both xc skiing and cycling. The clothes for each cross over extremely well. Arcterx has some of the finest jackets available but is also hugely expensive. Check out Fitness Fanatics or Mountain Gear in Spokane for lightweight ski wear, beanies, and socks. (FF is also a Tri/bike shop) LBS should have cycling stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep moving forward, just keep moving forward...

~~ I am no longer broken... ~~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as other poster have mentioned, layering is key... but learning to layer will take time and trial and error. more so for running.....

moisture wicking base layer, breathable mid layer and a windproof/breathable top layer is the best way.

i use a HH base layer top and bottom, castelli windproof full bibs, a sugoi mid layer half zip top, castelli windproof jacket and maybe my running room coat if needed for more wind blockage. craft winter thermo shoe covers, castelli pioggia gloves, gore wear riding hat and a neck protector, or my running room belaclava.

I would focus on the hands and feet, because everywhere else you can add layers. I bought some lobster gloves and they saved the day. http://www.pearlizumi.com/...p;product_id=1455044

I am still struggling with the feet on long rides.. have wool socks, thermal booties and plastic bags to cut down on the wind, but still never seems like it is enough. I am thinking about trying these out some heated insoles this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For winter running and XC skiing a good pair of windproof boxers/briefs is always a good idea as the first base layer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As suggested already, layering is key. Your best bet on Base is to nut up and buy a Craft ProZero base layer, long sleeve. Works for bike and run. I bought all (and I mean every brand) of leg/arm warmer and tight from Backcountry.com last winter (because I can return it straight to their warehouse in Utah where I live) and found that the Pearl Izumi has the most comfortable and best protective gear when it comes to warmers. Gore makes a good skull cap and the Xenon gloves have windstopper and work well. Best gloves though for both bike and run are Black Diamond with windstopper. Good down to effing cold temps. The Castelli Spazio jacket is form-fitting, very visible (red) and has excellent windstopper properties. Pearl Izumi's toe covers are great.

And if you buy NOTHING else at all buy a pair of the power stretch fleece tights from DeSoto.

There ya go, that's my wardrobe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.true-motion.com/...ckets/mens_tzero.htm
this is a great jacket for cold weather cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Winter clothing [pjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice. By the way I really don't like being cold. Ask desert dude. I was riding with arms warmers leg warmers booties and a vest in March in Phoenix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well then, it's not just clothing you want but possibly packs of hand warmers, toe and / or foot warmers, and possibly even body warmers. Any ski or outdoor shop should have them - just open the packet expose them to air and they'll last for hours. Just don't put them next to bare skin. It's been a while since I've read the ingredients list but as I recall it's some sort exothermic chemical reaction involving iron.

It was 37 F. here east of Seattle on Sunday morning at 7 Am driving to the Black Diamond Oly. What's the morning temperatures out your way these days?
Quote Reply
Re: Winter clothing [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will add the windvest with mesh in the back which helps, the 180s gloves with the windproof shell and anything at all from ibex, http://www.ibex.com - especially base layers and gloves. Second the balaclavas and just layers and layers :-)

Banger

Banger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't like being cold. Ask desert dude. I was riding with arms warmers leg warmers booties and a vest in March in Phoenix.
Quote:

To be fair, it was really, really cold that day, probably only 59F and sunny when we started.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living in Michigan, the cold isn't so much the problem because you can layer up and you do get used to it. But, with cold comes ice and snow, which cause all sorts of problems. Remember that areas in the shade, like where there are buildings, evergreens of bridges, will stay frozen even if the air is above freezing. A tiny patch of ice under a bridge can cause a really big problem if you don't see it or do see it but can't do anything about it because of traffic. So, it can be really difficult to run hard outside during the winter on a consistent basis if you are combining sub-freezing with even a moderate amount of percipitation or even some poor drainage. Riding outside can be much worse unless it's a really sunny day, and you can't really ride earlier than most traffic like you can early on a Saturday or Sunday during the summer.

Good luck. Seasons are really ncie when you get used to them, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter clothing [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Layering x100

The best place to buy what you are looking for is on Sierratradingpost.com. They carry all of the best brands at really good prices, you won't find everything you are looking for but you can find a lot of it at deep discounts. Altrec.com also has decent prices and I find Patagonia to make the best overall Winter clothing when it comes to jackets, pullovers and ski pants.

Good Luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter has some doll winter clothing you can borrow. ;-)

OK, seriously, IMHO the key winter layering stuff is:
headband (I have 2, a PI bike one, and a larger Nashbar one - I'll wear both if it's really cold)
wind vest
arm warmers
full finger windproof gloves
lobster mitts
poly liner gloves (to wear solo on cool days, or under either of the above on cold to very cold days)
lightweight L/S wicking base layer
wicking undies (windblock is nice for the cold breezy days to keep Mr. Happy from getting frostnip)
tights
smartwool socks
light liner socks (for under above on really cold days)
neoprene toe booties

Probably my FAVORITE piece of cold weather gear is my Mtn. Hardware featherweight transition shirt - it's very thin windstopper fleece, totally rocks for winter running and riding. Can be a stand-alone, worn w/ a light base underneath, or as a mid layer on really really cold days.

You can use almost all of the above for running, riding, XC skiing, whatever. Very versatile - mix and match as needed.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Winter clothing [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lobster mitts? what are those? certainly not the really thick rubber gloves I wear on the boat.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a great tight jersey with a hood from Sugoi. I call it my Speedskater outfit, since it looks like of like the top of the suits that speedskaters wear. Great for running or biking in cold, wet weather.

Hey, where did you move to and where are you working? Sounds like you are now in my neck of the woods and I'm getting ready for AZ in 8 weeks as well. I'm in Bellingham, WA.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply

Prev Next