Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Winter Triathlon: skate question
Quote | Reply
Looking to do one or two of these next winter: https://www.xactnutrition.com/...riathlons-in-quebec/

What skates are you using? Would Nordic skates work fine or are you using recreation speed skates? Seems like the Nordic skates would make for an easier transition to skiing.

Any other tips are welcome. I remember Dev Paul posting about this a few years back but couldn't find the post.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Triathlon: skate question [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you are a very trained speed skater (I have a young one at home, so this is not just conjecture), Nordic skates which fit on XC boots will be faster. XC boots have more support, they are warmer, and more comfortable. It is ALWAYS easier to make up 30 seconds in a transition than make up 30 seconds on the ice, ground, or road. I have done a couple of these types of races in Maine and NH; and I will sacrifice ideal equipment for faster transition (but of course, one has to do the math to make sure).

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
yep, I would use nordic skates....especially when you go from skate to ski or vice versa...I have a pair and skated the Rideau Canal with them this Feb and they worked great....
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Triathlon: skate question [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

i've done a few of theses, nordic skates are what you want. most (all?) of lead pack on them.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Triathlon: skate question [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all!
Quote Reply