Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Winner women 50-54 dq’d in Whistler
Quote | Reply
I feel quite bad for her. Tracker said she was disqualified for crossing the finish line with her family after winning the age group. I heard Calgary had huge draft packs and no one I talked to saw a penalty handed out anywhere yet she gets dq’d for this? If Ironman is going to have rules should they not enforce all
of them?
Quote Reply
Re: Winner women 50-54 dq’d in Whistler [Petrus101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Petrus101 wrote:
I feel quite bad for her. Tracker said she was disqualified for crossing the finish line with her family after winning the age group. I heard Calgary had huge draft packs and no one I talked to saw a penalty handed out anywhere yet she gets dq’d for this? If Ironman is going to have rules should they not enforce all
of them?

Frustrating for her. They are pretty strict on this rule in Australia and it's plastered all over the Athletes guide and race websites.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rules are rules. I have never allowed non-athletes to run down the finish chute with me (or provide outside assistance) because it is against the rules to do so. Sure I would love to have family cross the finish line with me but haven’t because the rules prohibit it. On many occasions, however, I have had my path to the finish line blocked by large groups of non-athletes accompanying an athlete to the finish. I’ve also had to dodge many non-athletes running with athletes along the course. Again, I’d love to have my friends and family accompany me along the run course but I don’t allow it because it is against the rules.
I’m glad to hear that this rule finally is being enforced.
Quote Reply
Re: Winner women 50-54 dq’d in Whistler [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iron Dukie wrote:
Rules are rules. I have never allowed non-athletes to run down the finish chute with me (or provide outside assistance) because it is against the rules to do so. Sure I would love to have family cross the finish line with me but haven’t because the rules prohibit it. On many occasions, however, I have had my path to the finish line blocked by large groups of non-athletes accompanying an athlete to the finish. I’ve also had to dodge many non-athletes running with athletes along the course. Again, I’d love to have my friends and family accompany me along the run course but I don’t allow it because it is against the rules.
I’m glad to hear that this rule finally is being enforced.

Last time I saw it happen was 4 years ago and some poor kid got cleaned up by a guy who came sprinting round the corner. So yeah I understand the need to enforce this rule.
Quote Reply
Re: Winner women 50-54 dq’d in Whistler [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand enforcing it. Rules should be enforced. My frustration is why they choose to put energy into rules like this vs result impacting rules like drafting and drugs. It’s like if they show a heavy hand in one area they are off the hook in others. They ignore packs again and again yet she gets dq’d for this. Don’t pick and choose! Enforce all rules. Period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Petrus101 wrote:
I understand enforcing it. Rules should be enforced. My frustration is why they choose to put energy into rules like this vs result impacting rules like drafting and drugs. It’s like if they show a heavy hand in one area they are off the hook in others. They ignore packs again and again yet she gets dq’d for this. Don’t pick and choose! Enforce all rules. Period.

Yeah that pisses me off. Why even bother getting Time Officials if they're not going to enforce the drafting rule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it’s pretty hard to miss a large group of non-athletes in the finish chute. Most finish chutes have multiple race photographers and a race official. It is harder to monitor 112 miles of a bike course. If a race official is standing in the finish chute and sees a rule violation right in front of them, I see that as a different scenario then a draft pack that never is seen by any race official. I don’t by any means see drafting as okay, and do wholeheartedly think we need better enforcement of the no-drafting rules, but I think that any willful rule violation that is seen by a race official should be enforced. I for one have had family members try to run in a finish chute with me but made them leave because of the rules. As a result I get frustrated when my path to the finish line is blocked by large groups of non-athletes, because my race is being impeded by a willful violation of the rules captured on film and seen by race officials.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Winner women 50-54 dq’d in Whistler [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be the first and last time she does this..
Quote Reply
Re: Winner women 50-54 dq’d in Whistler [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Petrus101 wrote:

Yeah that pisses me off. Why even bother getting Time Officials if they're not going to enforce the drafting rule.

I think it is fair to question that all rules are enforced, but at the same time, it should not be all or nothing. This rule about no family and friends in the finish chute, or pacinig etc on the field of play is a good one to have and a really easy one to enforce. So since there is a safety aspect, a fairness aspect and easy to enforce, its a no brainer to DQ her. Someone who told her family to stay in the stands and got the Kona slot is getting what she deserves. I am sure the next few would love to have their family in the finish chute....we all do, but if we all have family there, it's a gong show. So good that she got the DQ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Petrus101 wrote:
of them?

Wasn't this (supposed to be) one of the big selling points of the Challenge family races? They let you cross the finish line with your family/baby/girlfriend or whatever? I remember hearing something about this topic when Penticton got rid of Ironman Canada and I remember thinking I could careless about crossing the line with someone else, I just want the bloody race to stay in Penticton. Hmm, maybe if Whistler is going to market itself as family friendly race with zip-lines and stuff for everyone to do, maybe they'll get Challenge to move in.
Quote Reply
Re: Winner women 50-54 dq’d in Whistler [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her son jumped the fence to run down the chute to surprise her as he was excited. I don’t that should constitute a DQ as she had no knowledge of this and no way to control him after he jumped the fence. I know someone who knows her very well and this is the way it happened.

Do you think it’s fair to DQ her considering she has absolutely no control over the fact her son got excited to see his mom smash her age group and win it?

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not crying for this gal. If she’s fast enough to win her age group, she’s probably got enough experience racing to know this is an automatic DQ at IM races. Hope she enjoys her finishing photo, hope that stunt didn’t ruin other competitors’ photos.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Winner women 50-54 dq’d in Whistler [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:
Her son jumped the fence to run down the chute to surprise her as he was excited. I don’t that should constitute a DQ as she had no knowledge of this and no way to control him after he jumped the fence. I know someone who knows her very well and this is the way it happened.

Do you think it’s fair to DQ her considering she has absolutely no control over the fact her son got excited to see his mom smash her age group and win it?

I bet if she makes a few angry tweets or Facebook posts about her DQ it will help right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old is her son? Old enough for her to tell him to go away and climb back over the fence?

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:

It's a "harsh but fair" rule. It's there to stop the finish chute becoming an absolute clusterfuck and kids getting run over. There are some stupid ass, fickly rules out there, but this isn't one of them. She should have plonked him back over the fence or ignored him and carried on running. If he follows her over the finish line, that's not her problem and there would have been no DQ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone find the FB live or tracker feed from it? It's unfortunate but the rules are the rules. I'll give my local tri in Solana Beach huge props yesterday for enforcing the no headphones rule--they stationed a marshall at a turn around of the run course and gave out at least 20 headphone penalties.

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:

Yes, very fair. Pick his ass up and put him back over the fence.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Winner women 50-54 dq’d in Whistler [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_kid wrote:
Petrus101 wrote:
of them?

Wasn't this (supposed to be) one of the big selling points of the Challenge family races? They let you cross the finish line with your family/baby/girlfriend or whatever? I remember hearing something about this topic when Penticton got rid of Ironman Canada and I remember thinking I could careless about crossing the line with someone else, I just want the bloody race to stay in Penticton. Hmm, maybe if Whistler is going to market itself as family friendly race with zip-lines and stuff for everyone to do, maybe they'll get Challenge to move in.
This was one of the best things that WTC, in banning the family members crossing the finish line.

It is stupid, unnecessary and outright dangerous to the competitors. Plus, I can't count how many times I saw a competitor carry a small infant across in their arms. Simply moronic.

I believe that Challenge and Rev3 allows (or allowed) this, but set up a second chute for those that wish to do this crossed thus not ruining the finish line experience for all others
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:

I think at the end of the day, this a sporting event and the field is competitors not specators. It sucks, but if she is fast enough to KQ she's fast enough to have told her family before the race to not pace her at any time, both during the first 140.5 or durinig the last 0.1 in the finish chute. It seems like if she won her age group, she is fast enough to qualify again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think frustration comes from WTC's apparent haphazard rule enforcement; rather they opt for the 'low hanging fruit' and fail to address the bigger problems endemic in their events.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Winner women 50-54 dq’d in Whistler [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
I think frustration comes from WTC's apparent haphazard rule enforcement; rather they opt for the 'low hanging fruit' and fail to address the bigger problems endemic in their events.

So true....

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Re: Winner women 50-54 dq’d in Whistler [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, she is fast enough to qualify again but it’s her 1st race back after many years away from the sport taking and her main goal was to qualify for Kona so it’s really unfortunate.

The rule book states “ Friends, family members, and/or other spectators are not permitted to cross the finish line or enter the finish chute with participating athletes. (Please note: IRONMAN desires for each athlete to be able to celebrate his/her accomplishment without risking the safety of other Event participants, volunteers, and/or spectators). Athletes who choose not to respect the foregoing finish line policy will be disqualified.“

In my opinion the last sentence is key- this athlete in question DID NOT disrespect the finish line policy but her excited child did not know the rules nor should A child need to know the rules as they are not athletes as indicated above.

According to the rulebook she should not be disqualified or accountable for another non athletes actions. They need to rewrite that rule with better wording and make it more clear and defined. I’m not a lawyer but that last sentence imo would be an obvious way to appeal a DQ for violating finish line policy.

Hopefully they rewrite the rule and make It crystal clear although I teally think they should focus more on catching dopers, course cutters, people who litter on course , etc but that’s just my opinion.

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Winner women 50-54 dq’d in Whistler [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:

People complain about the race, know they are likely getting shit service on certain segments of the race and yet still fill races. Like it's amazing to me. It's amazing that the bitching about WTC drafting gets louder and louder every year, yet never really turns people off enough. I'm guessing it'll come to a head at some point, I just find it astonishing that the athletes still show up. Actually I know they provide a great service and world class athlete support, and I also think drafting makes it "easier" for everyone including the athletes, so no one really cares....unless you get caught up in the drafting photos of said event. But then it's "you cant tell drafting from 1 still photo"......

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Winner women 50-54 dq’d in Whistler [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right of course for 90+% of people; however in my case, my last two Iron distance events have been Independents, so I am voting with my feet.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply

Prev Next