Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Windstopper jacket (Gore) that works for both cycling and running
Quote | Reply
Looking at the Gore-Tex Windstopper Shakedry jacket. It looks like the C7 version is for cycling and the R7 is for running. I would like a jacket that can serve both sports. Am I better off getting the cycling and use if for running too or get the running version to also be used for cycling. (for me cycling is both road and mtn). Thanks for any input and if anyone can recommend another version that can play double duty please let me know. Otherwise I may have to get both or make the hard decision for one :)
Quote Reply
Re: Windstopper jacket (Gore) that works for both cycling and running [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't mind a hood, the Arcteryx Norvan SL would work well for both.
I have the Gore C5 / 1985 jacket and I do not think would be comfortable for running.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Windstopper jacket (Gore) that works for both cycling and running [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Gore cycling jacket that’s close to 7 or 8 years old. I like it because it has removable sleeves and converts into a vest.

Anyways, I also use it for running as well. I actually love it as a running jacket because I can stash a couple water flasks in the back pocket and not have to wear hydration belt for the long, cold runs.

I will say this works because it’s a nice and snug fit. If it was loose the water would bounce and wouldn’t be good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
Looking at the Gore-Tex Windstopper Shakedry jacket. It looks like the C7 version is for cycling and the R7 is for running. I would like a jacket that can serve both sports. Am I better off getting the cycling and use if for running too or get the running version to also be used for cycling. (for me cycling is both road and mtn). Thanks for any input and if anyone can recommend another version that can play double duty please let me know. Otherwise I may have to get both or make the hard decision for one :)

You mention windstopper and Shakedry. These are two different jacket materials for different purposes ... but I can answer both questions. I have the gore c7 and r7 in their windstopper light jackets. These are windproof, minimalist, jackets and the seams are fully sealed on the r7 and most of the seams are sealed on the c7. Seam sealing increases water resistance. They are cut for slim athletes. I love the c7 jacket for cycling. It can easily fit in a jersey pocket, it’s fantastic for warming up or cooling down from a hard ride. The c7 is a cycling euro fit that is a little slimmer than the same sized r7. The c7 has longer sleeves, and does not have the hood, I would not want to bike in the r7, but have run in the c7. That being said, the c7 is a little restricting in the shoulder region for arm swing. The r7 would not be fitted enough to my body for my liking for cycling and I don’t want a hood catching the wind.

Now on to shakedry. Shakedry is completely different and it’s amazing. It’s completely waterproof, so this is the choice for heading out into the rain...heavy rain. I have tried on the original gore shakedry cycling jacket, which had a c7 style cut, but I felt it was too baggy. I like aero clothing I ended up going with castellis idro jacket at the time. I subsequently upgraded to the castelli idro pro 2 when it came out. It is a little heavier, still shakedry, but it has stretch panels in strategic areas, for a very fitted, almost aero like rain jacket. I would run and have run in the castelli idro, but the stretch shake dry would be too fitted for running. I see gore also has a c7 stretch shakedry, now too. I also have the r7 shakedry, which is fantastic for running, but again, I don’t want a hood on my cycling jacket. You can not wear any sort of backpack or water carrier on this jacket, as it’s too fragile. I’m not sure how you mtb. Lastly, I also have r7 trail shakedry jacket, that is a little heavier and allows you to carry a backpack.

These are all great, high end jackets designed for specific applications. I’d consider ordering from gore’s web page, and you get free shipping and returns to figure out what you want and what size. Some websites have their stuff on sale, too, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Windstopper jacket (Gore) that works for both cycling and running [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also found the fit of the C7 sort of tight. Used it once for running and actually cut my run short because of it. Thinking even if I went up a size the sleeves and shoulders would still be too tight for running. Great for cycling with just a base layer underneath.
Quote Reply