Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uli wrote:
Power13 wrote:
It is a fookin' marathon....peoples lives have been destroyed. Clearly, as endurance athletes, we can all empathize with the runners......but please, let's use some perspective here.

Every day, people are getting shot in NYC. Every day, homeless people die in NYC. Every day, children in Africa die from thirst.

Uh-huh.....the ol' "dying children in Africa" retort.

Quote:
I decided to get up and help Sandy victims whether I run the marathon or not.

Good for you. Enjoy your run.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
mag900 wrote:
saltman wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Further, I heard on the radio this AM that displaced NY residents who are staying in NY hotels are gonna get kicked out because of the incoming wave of runners. Already w/o a place to go since they don't have power (or homes for some), they now get displaced again.

Race clearly needs to be cancelled.

A good friend of mine predicted this as she ran into a similar problems shortly after 9/11. I would absolutely go fucking bananas if I was NYer and was kicked out of my hotel room because of some self absorbed marathoner. Right now, if you don't need to be in NY, get the fuck out and send a check. NY will recover to its former glory, but it needs more than 1 week.

it may be news to you but not everyone coming to nyc from abroad is a "self absorbed marathoner." what would you suggest someone, who lives in say, italy or france who booked a nonrefundable trip for his/her family, do? just piss away $5,000 to make you feel better? why should someone who lives in a loft in tribeca get to bump someone who booked his or her room a year ago just so said loft dweller has a nice place to camp out while his/her loft doesn't have electricity?

Because that person in Tribeca has a life in NY and someone that has $5,000 to spend on a hobby is likely to recover just fine as well. That runner now has $5,000 teaching moment for his/her children on how to be caring and respectful human being.

you clearly are delusional. anyone living in a loft in tribeca who now is paying $500 a night to stay at a midtown hotel while he/she waits for con ed to turn the electricity on (i know multiple people who fit this profile) doesn't get to displace someone who already booked a room (no matter how much disdain you might have for foreigners). you can have your "teaching moments" on your own time with your kids. who gets access to $500 a night hotel rooms is not anywhere near the top of the priority list in NYC right now even though you would like it to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
saltman wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Further, I heard on the radio this AM that displaced NY residents who are staying in NY hotels are gonna get kicked out because of the incoming wave of runners. Already w/o a place to go since they don't have power (or homes for some), they now get displaced again.

A good friend of mine predicted this as she ran into a similar problems shortly after 9/11. I would absolutely go fucking bananas if I was NYer and was kicked out of my hotel room because of some self absorbed marathoner. Right now, if you don't need to be in NY, get the fuck out and send a check. NY will recover to its former glory, but it needs more than 1 week.

it may be news to you but not everyone coming to nyc from abroad is a "self absorbed marathoner." what would you suggest someone, who lives in say, italy or france who booked a nonrefundable trip for his/her family, do? just piss away $5,000 to make you feel better? why should someone who lives in a loft in tribeca get to bump someone who booked his or her room a year ago just so said loft dweller has a nice place to camp out while his/her loft doesn't have electricity?

That pretty much defines a "self absorbed marathoner", IMO. Not to mention a gross generalization of people who ahve been affected by Sandy and may be getting bumped form a hotel room.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [novasupra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live at the jersey shore. My house and my family and friends were mostly spared any major damage. My first reaction was that NY could use a party and it was a good thing. But then I had to fight my way home last night from work, in the dark, present my id to police at road blocks set up to prevent looting, grub around in the dark for batteries, eat cold food, sleep in a freezing house, wake up to no hot water cause they shut the gas off, toast a bagel on a grill outside, empty my fridge of all the ruined food, and then I started to think that running the marathon is a bad idea. And i made out fine compared to thousands of people. If my house was gone, or flooded, or if my store had been looted, I would be furious they were doing this. It's a terrible idea.

That said, they are doing it, and it will still be a good party. if you are driving in from out of the area, give an extra 3 hours to get into NYC and to find parking. Parking is extra brutal. Do not expect to gas up at the last gas station in delaware, upstate or pennsylvania. Do not expect to be able to get gas in NJ or on the way out of NJ after the race. Hour long waits. I had to drive back from upstate yesterday. I got gas on the thruway in Poughkeepsie. the wait was probably a half hour at the last rest stop in NY. You should try and enter NJ with a full tank of gas, and make sure you have enough gas to get back out of NJ.

It is what it is. Good luck to all the runners!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
saltman wrote:
mag900 wrote:
saltman wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Because that person in Tribeca has a life in NY and someone that has $5,000 to spend on a hobby is likely to recover just fine as well. That runner now has $5,000 teaching moment for his/her children on how to be caring and respectful human being.

you clearly are delusional. anyone living in a loft in tribeca who now is paying $500 a night to stay at a midtown hotel while he/she waits for con ed to turn the electricity on (i know multiple people who fit this profile) doesn't get to displace someone who already booked a room (no matter how much disdain you might have for foreigners). you can have your "teaching moments" on your own time with your kids. who gets access to $500 a night hotel rooms is not anywhere near the top of the priority list in NYC right now even though you would like it to be.

You have demonstrate over and over again how delusional you are by your posts in this thread. Not sure why I even acknowledge them.

For everyone of your self-described "anyone living in a loft in tribeca" there are equal if not more "regular citizens" that are cramped 2-3 families into these hotel rooms as they have possibly have nowhere else to go but shelters if there dwellings are currently uninhabitable.
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Nov 2, 12 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
mag900 wrote:
saltman wrote:
Power13 wrote:

That pretty much defines a "self absorbed marathoner", IMO. Not to mention a gross generalization of people who ahve been affected by Sandy and may be getting bumped form a hotel room.

which residents from downtown do you think checked into midtown hotels? i know A LOT of people who did and every one of them can afford the $500 a night cost. i also know a lot of other people from downtown who cannot afford that and either are living with no utilities in their apartments or have moved in with friends/family uptown. you are damn right i generalized that the people currently in midtown hotels who are "worried" that marathoners who previously booked at their hotels are well off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The more you talk, the more you prove the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
mag900 wrote:
saltman wrote:
mag900 wrote:
saltman wrote:
Power13 wrote:

You have demonstrate over and over again how delusional you are by your posts in this thread. Not sure why I even acknowledgement them.

For everyone of your self-described "anyone living in a loft in tribeca" there are equal if not more "regular citizens" that are cramped 2-3 families into these hotel rooms as they have possibly have nowhere else to go but possibly shelters.

right. there's no such thing as friends and family who live uptown and all of those people i know who are staying with friends and family uptown don't exist. your understanding of the issues at hand is quite impressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
The more you talk, the more you prove the point.

i wasn't aware that writing qualifies as "talking." that was a nice response on your part and a good job completely avoiding the topic. you might as well bend over and enjoy this weekend because, no matter how much you whine on here, the marathon is going to go on this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
Power13 wrote:
mag900 wrote:
saltman wrote:
Power13 wrote:

which residents from downtown do you think checked into midtown hotels? i know A LOT of people who did and every one of them can afford the $500 a night cost. i also know a lot of other people from downtown who cannot afford that and either are living with no utilities in their apartments or have moved in with friends/family uptown. you are damn right i generalized that the people currently in midtown hotels who are "worried" that marathoners who previously booked at their hotels are well off.

Let's assume that you are correct and EVRYONE who is staying in mid-town hotels is extremely well off. Even with that, your response is essentially "Meh....fook them. Let them go back to their apartments with no power, heat, water, etc. I got a fookin MARATHON to run!!"

As I said, pretty much defines "self absorbed marathoner." YMMV.

Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [aloys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aloys wrote:
I live at the jersey shore. My house and my family and friends were mostly spared any major damage. My first reaction was that NY could use a party and it was a good thing. But then I had to fight my way home last night from work, in the dark, present my id to police at road blocks set up to prevent looting, grub around in the dark for batteries, eat cold food, sleep in a freezing house, wake up to no hot water cause they shut the gas off, toast a bagel on a grill outside, empty my fridge of all the ruined food, and then I started to think that running the marathon is a bad idea. And i made out fine compared to thousands of people. If my house was gone, or flooded, or if my store had been looted, I would be furious they were doing this. It's a terrible idea.

That said, they are doing it, and it will still be a good party. if you are driving in from out of the area, give an extra 3 hours to get into NYC and to find parking. Parking is extra brutal. Do not expect to gas up at the last gas station in delaware, upstate or pennsylvania. Do not expect to be able to get gas in NJ or on the way out of NJ after the race. Hour long waits. I had to drive back from upstate yesterday. I got gas on the thruway in Poughkeepsie. the wait was probably a half hour at the last rest stop in NY. You should try and enter NJ with a full tank of gas, and make sure you have enough gas to get back out of NJ.

It is what it is. Good luck to all the runners!

Fantastic posting. Thank you!

Quote | Reply
It really doesn't matter if the displaced people can afford 500/night hotels. What matters is that they are not staying in there because they don't like their apt, they are living there because their apt is boarderline uninhabitable (no water for a week is enough to get me out of my house). They are now being displaced by people leaving their fine homes from outside the city so they can run a marathon and fullfill some meaningless life goal.

Like I said before, I'm not sure why some people even want to travel to NYC on this trip with the city half-crippled. What fun is that?
Last edited by: npage148: Nov 2, 12 8:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
Right now, if you don't need to be in NY, get the fuck out and send a check.

Well said.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:

Like I said before, I'm not sure why some people even want to travel to NYC on this trip with the city half-crippled. What fun is that?

Leaving "fun" aside, if I were scheduled to run the NYC Marathon, there is no way in hell I would show up at this point anyway. Just my personal POV.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aloys wrote:
Do not expect to gas up at the last gas station in delaware, upstate or pennsylvania. Do not expect to be able to get gas in NJ or on the way out of NJ after the race. Hour long waits. I had to drive back from upstate yesterday. I got gas on the thruway in Poughkeepsie. the wait was probably a half hour at the last rest stop in NY. You should try and enter NJ with a full tank of gas, and make sure you have enough gas to get back out of NJ.

I'm in South Jersey and gas doesn't seem to be a problem down here

Maybe filling up around Exit 5 or 6 or so on the Turnpike might work? YMMV, literally

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Leaving "fun" aside, if I were scheduled to run the NYC Marathon, there is no way in hell I would show up at this point anyway. Just my personal POV.

Yeah, I'd kinda be ashamed to show my face, as grimace-y and pain-striken it might be. If I were to get a water bottle that I knew could be given to a dehydrated baby on Staten Island, or realized the the chirps from the timing mats were powered by generators that could warm an elderly person in a cold & dark North Jersey home, the guilt would double me over harder than even the worst cramps ever could

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randymar wrote:
aloys wrote:
Do not expect to gas up at the last gas station in delaware, upstate or pennsylvania. Do not expect to be able to get gas in NJ or on the way out of NJ after the race. Hour long waits. I had to drive back from upstate yesterday. I got gas on the thruway in Poughkeepsie. the wait was probably a half hour at the last rest stop in NY. You should try and enter NJ with a full tank of gas, and make sure you have enough gas to get back out of NJ.

I'm in South Jersey and gas doesn't seem to be a problem down here

Maybe filling up around Exit 5 or 6 or so on the Turnpike might work? YMMV, literally

Gas situation in Monmouth County is pretty grim. The further north/east you go in NJ, the worse it will get.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btmoney wrote:
My dad, an amateur armchair meteorologist, thinks the subway system will flood.

Hey bt...,

You can tell your dad that his opinions are not so amateurish after all.
I'm planning a ski trip to Utah in March, does he have any opinions where the powder stash will be in Park City? :>)

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Last edited by: paxfobiscum: Nov 2, 12 9:09
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If gas is not a problem in South Jersey, then my recommendation is that travelers keep a full tank and stop at each rest stop that does not have a hour wait and top off your tank. You could end up idling for 2 hours going into the lincoln tunnel
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who was the poster that warned of this storm over a week ago? THey mentioned their friend was excellent at watching storms and their patterns and predicted this storm way before the news did.

That person is going to be my new best friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
South Jersey gas is fine. I still don't know if I will race, but with Amtrak and NJ Transit both back (somewhat), don't drive to NYC. Take the train from Hamilton or Metropark. You don't need the hassle.

I guess I have to make a call by tomorrow morning, but I wish the race was not taking place Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect you don't quite grasp how hotels work or who is to blame here. If you want to be angry at anyone about "bumping" people from hotel rooms then be angry at the hotel. Ultimately its their decision. If they don't want to bump people then they need to call the incoming guests and tell them their reservations have been cancelled and refund their money. Its that simple. If they chose not to, then be angry at them, not at the marathoners or whomever else is about to checkin. This is NYC, and three days later it will be another group of people headed for those hotel rooms.... the day after those people leave there will be another group right behind them.

My wife (in the US) and a friend from Scotland are headed into NYC today (originally for the marathon). They decided rather than lose all their non-refundable money they would spend the weekend volunteering to help out with disaster relief. They have already contacted an orginasation asking for help and made arrangements to work for them for the weekend. She called the hotel ahead of time to confirm and they didn't say anything about "can you free up a room for someone that has been displaced". I can tell you with 100% certainty that if a hotel told my wife they were bumping someone taking refuge there to make room for her she would sleep at the airport all weekend or volunteer around the clock for three days and then sleep when she got home.
Last edited by: Nickwisdom: Nov 2, 12 9:33
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gas situation is only worsening. in northern NJ yest someone know spent a total of 5 hours waiting for gas and failed to get any. this morning there are long lines outside every gas station including those with Lno gas" signs. anyone coming by car should carry spare gas in cans
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Nickwisdom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nickwisdom wrote:
I suspect you don't quite grasp how hotels work or who is to blame here. If you want to be angry at anyone about "bumping" people from hotel rooms then be angry at the hotel. Ultimately its their decision. If they don't want to bump people then they need to call the incoming guests and tell them their reservations have been cancelled and refund their money. Its that simple. If they chose not to, then be angry at them, not at the marathoners or whomever else is about to checkin. This is NYC, and three days later it will be another group of people headed for those hotel rooms.... the day after those people leave there will be another group right behind them.

My wife (in the US) and a friend from Scotland are headed into NYC today (originally for the marathon). They decided rather than lose all their non-refundable money they would spend the weekend volunteering to help out with disaster relief. They have already contacted an orginasation asking for help and made arrangements to work for them for the weekend. She called the hotel ahead of time to confirm and they didn't say anything about "can you free up a room for someone that has been displaced". I can tell you with 100% certainty that if a hotel told my wife they were bumping someone taking refuge there to make room for her she would sleep at the airport all weekend or volunteer around the clock for three days and then sleep when she got home.

+1 to your wife and friend! Good on them.

"Grind it til' you find it..."
Quote Reply

Prev Next