Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [cowardlydragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cowardlydragon wrote:
keepcalmswimon wrote:
This is where my head is at: http://running.competitor.com/...w-mustnt-go-on_61282

As far as I know:

- The ferries are probably fine, that's the main public transport needed for the start
- The bridges aren't affected
- The course doesn't go through Lower Manhattan
- NYRR is going to beef up private support (they made at least 1 million on the lottery alone, they can afford it)
- The roads aren't washed out, and they can probably be swept reasonably well by then.
- The local businesses that are open will get a boost, esp. hotels
- There's probably plenty of bottled water coming from FEMA

You wimps that don't want to spit in the face of disaster? Fine, don't show up. Want to do an epic run through a city that says "screw you, we're still doing this"? Oh yeah. New York is supposed to be city of can-do tough people. How would this not be something fun to do if the power is still out to build a community sense?

I lived on the Jersey Shore and saw videosof Sea Bright. It is fubar in the full, literal, and historical sense . But the NYC marathon isn't going along barrier island highways.

Come on people.

I'm flying out to cheer some folks on. I might bandit half of the race now just for the experience.

AWESOME!! That's what I wanted to hear as I prepare to fly in tomorrow to race on Sunday!! It might not be the same as every other year, but there will be something really special and different about doing it this year. I'm bring my cash and will be spending it the best I can! See you out there!
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully everyone stranded in Hoboken in sewage water can wait 5 more hours while police and emergency personnel can assist with dehydrated runners.

The lack of perspective is beyond mind boggling.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
Hopefully everyone stranded in Hoboken in sewage water can wait 5 more hours while police and emergency personnel can assist with dehydrated runners.

+1.

I know in my small little world, if either of us not running in the marathon, we spend the day spectating. This year we are not. So that is 4 less people watching the race and spending $.

Fortunately our power came back yesterday, so we are hosting some people that are not as fortunate plus helping out whenever/wherever we can in local shelters over the weekend.

Plus to your comment above, I know several/many people that volunteer each year. They have withdrew(?) their request this year in the past few days so to quote one of them..."if I am going to hand out water on Sunday, I will hand out water to those who really need it"
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Nov 1, 12 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What seems most weird would be to go to NYC only to have it half shut down and crippled. Most of the fun of visiting NYC is everything that's going on. I was never registered but I'd probably would have deferred if I was. The logistics of just getting into the city are enough to turn be back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:

Hoboken is New Jersey - the personnel would not be there anyway
NYRR is using their own personnel to not take away from recovery efforts
$$ will be donated to the recovery

not everything is so black and white as it apparently is in your mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [TriGirrrrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.nytimes.com/...;pagewanted=all&

"if you chose it, it's not really pain"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:

since when do NJ personnel work at the NYC marathon? your lack of perspective is mind boggling. moreover, where are all of these dying people that EMT is working on that the NYRR will be using? how about the NYPD? what exactly do you think the NYPD will be doing on sunday that is so pressing that they can't oversee the street closings? if you think that the NYPD is involved with debris removal, fixing the con ed plant, rewiring downed electric lines, pumping out the subway, fixing water mains or putting downed trees in wood chippers, then it might behoove you to look around and see that the NYPD isn't involved in any of that. the amount of anger/ignorance/vitriol being spewed by people at NYRR and bloomberg really is amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
saltman wrote:

since when do NJ personnel work at the NYC marathon? your lack of perspective is mind boggling. moreover, where are all of these dying people that EMT is working on that the NYRR will be using? how about the NYPD? what exactly do you think the NYPD will be doing on sunday that is so pressing that they can't oversee the street closings? if you think that the NYPD is involved with debris removal, fixing the con ed plant, rewiring downed electric lines, pumping out the subway, fixing water mains or putting downed trees in wood chippers, then it might behoove you to look around and see that the NYPD isn't involved in any of that. the amount of anger/ignorance/vitriol being spewed by people at NYRR and bloomberg really is amazing.

My only comment to your above diatribe is... Ms. Wittenberg, it is very nice to have you posting on ST
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting there isn't going to happen at all. 20,000 flights were cancelled and as someone in the airline business I can tell you that no matter what the media tells you, it will take a week or longer to get things back to 'normal'. I'll see how I feel about it in late winter when they send out the letters to those of us who canceled. But frankly the lack of any useful information whatsoever from the NYRR was very disappointing. I certainly didn't expect detailed information about the race or conditions in Manhattan, but i did expect them to at least acknowledge that a huge number and very large percentage of runners would not be able to make it and extend the deadline before they expired. Even WTC isn't that obstinate.

I have a busy tri season scheduled next year including 2 70.3's and 2 fulls one of which is less than a month before the 2013 NYC Marathon and was was planning on this years marathon being my last stand alone. But as I said, I'll see how I feel come late winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paxfobiscum wrote:
I don't understand those who live here in the City and would not run it and rather just sit on their couch that morning and watch TV.

How about because they'd rather volunteer their time at a shelter or to clean up efforts or any other number of other things other than running a marathon?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [TriGirrrrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriGirrrrl wrote:
saltman wrote:

Hoboken is New Jersey - the personnel would not be there anyway
NYRR is using their own personnel to not take away from recovery efforts
$$ will be donated to the recovery

not everything is so black and white as it apparently is in your mind.

Are you serious? Hoboken is literally a flooded subway away from Manhatten. If there are qualified trained emergency personnel 20 minutes away that are available, I would imagine the fine folks of NYC might be willing to lend their services to their less fortunate neighbors. I don't think jurisdiction is going to take priority. It is pretty black and white.
Last edited by: saltman: Nov 1, 12 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mag, I think it's more of acknowledgement that the police , fire and other emt folks have worked past the point of exhaustion both physically and mentally and the last thing they need to be doing is directing traffic. Plus it might seem a matter of priorities to some, opening major roads just so they can close them again for a marathon just doesn't sound right.

What got me though was both the mayor and the NYRR said the reason they were holding the race is so they can get the money we'd bring. Now obviously those weren't the exact words but that is what they said and although having an economic boost is a good thing it shouldn't be the priority at this time.
Last edited by: Konaflyer: Nov 1, 12 10:02
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Konaflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Konaflyer wrote:
Mag, I think it's more of acknowldgement that the police , fire and other emt folks have worked past the poibnt of exhaustion both physically and mentally and the last thing they need to be doing is directing traffic. Plus it might seem a matter of prioeities to some, opening major roads just so they can close them again for a marathon just doesn't sound right.

What got me though was both the mayor and the NYRR said the reason they were holding the race is so they can get the money we'd bring. Now obviously those weren't the exact words but that is what they said and although having an economic boost is a good thing it shouldn't be the priority at this time.

I don't want to get in a pissing match, but the small businesses which may not get all the money they need for repairs from the insurance companies and may need the boost don't care about money?
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Konaflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If for some reason I was stuck away from my family this week due to flight cancellations and found out that people were still getting to NYC for the marathon, I would be disturbed.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [cowardlydragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cowardlydragon wrote:
Konaflyer wrote:
Mag, I think it's more of acknowldgement that the police , fire and other emt folks have worked past the poibnt of exhaustion both physically and mentally and the last thing they need to be doing is directing traffic. Plus it might seem a matter of prioeities to some, opening major roads just so they can close them again for a marathon just doesn't sound right.

I don't want to get in a pissing match, but the small businesses which may not get all the money they need for repairs from the insurance companies and may need the boost don't care about money?

A small business that suffered catastrophic damage requiring insurance proceeds is going to be open for business on Sunday?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ferry service cancelled.

Bus service from the public library on 42nd and fifth

1st wave-430
2nd-530
3rd-630
4th-730
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [gleeclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you see this update?
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
Where did you see this update?

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/...o/transportation.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think people running will be looking to get in and then out as quick as possible so there will be likely min economic impact compared to the regular marathon
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a New Yorker, I'll say I'm happy to be racing my 7th NYCM.
FrankenSandy? Fuhgeddaboudit!
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
I think people running will be looking to get in and then out as quick as possible so there will be likely min economic impact compared to the regular marathon

I'll bet you're right. And if they can't use the subway or ferries I can't imagine this coming off without a hitch -- that's a lot of extra people to bus to the start.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live just south of Houston. In 2008 Ike barreled through and devastated the area. In addition to COMPLETELY flattening some areas at the coast, the damage extended in 50-60 miles. Even my own neighborhood, some 30+ miles from the coast had about 1/4 to 1/3 of the houses with roofs torn off, fences down, etc. One of my pals had water damage due to a blown off roof to the tune of 50% of the value of the house. Downtown Houston was a mess with debris, people without power, etc. In the entire metro area, millions were without power for up to a week, people standing in lines waiting for water out of the back of trucks, etc.

We are an area that puts up with the threat of tropical weather each year. I can tell you that if there was a marathon scheduled the weekend following a big weather event, one of two things would be self-evident:

1) There is no way in hell the city would be ready; emergency resources would be much better served rebuilding and protecting the citizens. To do otherwise shows the selfishness of the city and/or organization for pushing such an event.
2) The devastation is overblown and critical services aren't being impacted by diverting attention away from recovery efforts.

So for people in the area, is it #1 or #2? If #1, it says a lot about the people behind local politics in NYC and the race. My thoughts would be on my citizens recovery, not a race. After a disaster, the way a community responds to rebuild itself and focus on the bigger priorities speaks volumes about the city.

Let's just say I'm glad I don't live in NYC if this is how the citizens are treated.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at the expo. they are announcing it over the address system
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon

A little bit.

However, this weekend there is going to be some awesomely muddy running CX and cycling CX races in the areas that Sandy passed through. The ground locally here in the Toronto area is super-saturated.

Post pics! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [gleeclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I guess if you live in Brooklyn you are screwed. They should have a bus going from the Atlantic center. I am close to deferring. I don't really want to deal with this nightmare on Sunday.
Quote Reply

Prev Next