Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:
I just need LaGuardia airport to open, so that I can fly in from Toronto Friday morning. Really just crossing my fingers here. Anyone have any inside info. into the LGA situation? I truely believe that there will be some sort of plan put in place for Sunday morning to get runners to the Ferries so they can get to the starting line. Whether that means busing down to Whitehall or moving the Ferry start to some other terminal in a more convenient part of Manhattan? Is that an option perhaps?

Go NY!!

LGA opens tomorrow @ 7am. Limited schedule. If you are not flying Delta as LGA is their increasing main hub and tryingto run full schedules into/out of JFK and LGA, as others suggested i would flying into JFK.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably pretty high but the Amtrak website is a better resource for this. From the news, I saw rail track damage was more prevalent in the north than in the south of NYC.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I'm staying just off 4th Ave in Brooklyn for the race. If the race does go forward, does anyone have suggestions for how to get to the race expo on Saturday. Take the subway as far north as possible in Brooklyn, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, then catch a cab?

Seems like a good plan but I wouldn't wait until Saturday to do this. Try doing it tomorrow or Friday.

Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nyt website has a link to the limited subway map.
you could also grab a bus -
else walk across bridge
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just deferred to next year.......Not the NYC experience I was looking for with my family. Best of luck to all those who are racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am only 60 miles south in NJ, but I don't think there is an option, at this point, for me to get to the expo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear yah. Even if I end up getting there, it doesn't seem like the experience will be anything like I hoped. That being said, I have no interest, in deferring this race, so I really just want to scratch it off the bucket list. Hopefully we won't get boo'd while we're running.

Just spoke with Westjet and they seemed to think their flights Thursday to LGA should be back to normal by mid day. Here's keeping my fingers crossed!
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I beg to differ. Run the race first and then get back to us and let us know how and why the experience will not be like you hoped. Indeed, the fact that you run it after this disaster makes it all the more special.

If there will be any person on the course that will Boo you out, I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the crowd kicks him out.

Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I hope you are right!! Really looking forward to it and supporting the city the best I can!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After seeing the " boil water" alert and the chaos today... I'll be back in 2013. Friends in jersey said stay away... Plus my hotel has no power!
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [keepcalmswimon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keepcalmswimon wrote:
This is where my head is at:
http://running.competitor.com/...w-mustnt-go-on_61282

X2. The images from in and around the city and on down into New Jersey are truly devastating and almost unbelievable. I'm not running, but can't imagine getting my mind in any other place but thinking of all of those affected by the events of the last few days.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [keepcalmswimon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keepcalmswimon wrote:
This is where my head is at: http://running.competitor.com/...w-mustnt-go-on_61282

As far as I know:

- The ferries are probably fine, that's the main public transport needed for the start
- The bridges aren't affected
- The course doesn't go through Lower Manhattan
- NYRR is going to beef up private support (they made at least 1 million on the lottery alone, they can afford it)
- The roads aren't washed out, and they can probably be swept reasonably well by then.
- The local businesses that are open will get a boost, esp. hotels
- There's probably plenty of bottled water coming from FEMA

You wimps that don't want to spit in the face of disaster? Fine, don't show up. Want to do an epic run through a city that says "screw you, we're still doing this"? Oh yeah. New York is supposed to be city of can-do tough people. How would this not be something fun to do if the power is still out to build a community sense?

I lived on the Jersey Shore and saw videosof Sea Bright. It is fubar in the full, literal, and historical sense . But the NYC marathon isn't going along barrier island highways.

Come on people.

I'm flying out to cheer some folks on. I might bandit half of the race now just for the experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i love on long island. i just deferred my entry to 2013. we have almost a million people without power/heat etc. and they are still finding bodies on staten island of people who drowned in their homes. still no power in manhattan south of 39th street, minimal public transportation, many hotels without power. i can't justify running when the resources required to run this race would be better off going to people in need. we are ok where i live and we haven't had school all week - trees down everywhere, wires everywhere, no power etc. i totally support people who still want to run on sunday, i just couldn't stomach it. if you're coming this way, be sure to check that your hotel is up and running. best of luck to those who choose to run.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charlietris wrote:
i love on long island. i just deferred my entry to 2013. we have almost a million people without power/heat etc. and they are still finding bodies on staten island of people who drowned in their homes. still no power in manhattan south of 39th street, minimal public transportation, many hotels without power. i can't justify running when the resources required to run this race would be better off going to people in need. we are ok where i live and we haven't had school all week - trees down everywhere, wires everywhere, no power etc. i totally support people who still want to run on sunday, i just couldn't stomach it. if you're coming this way, be sure to check that your hotel is up and running. best of luck to those who choose to run.

I don't really see it as a loss of resources. Any cleanup for the race has to happen anyway. It brings in money when probably nothing else imaginable would. Apparently the NYRR is going to hire people to do what other critical personnel would do, that's more GDP/services exchange. The marathon doesn't need power, and power reestablishment will happen anyway irregardless of the race being held.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [cowardlydragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bottled water coming from FEMA? haha.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All in all I'm rather disappointed in the dearth of information that was forthcoming from NYRR. Thy wouldn't even post an update on their website telling people they would be allowed to cancel. They kept posting a bunch of stuff but not even something that simple and valuable.

Late tonight (my time) I finally get a letter from them telling us they will allow cancellations until midnight Saturday (11:59 pm actually). Should have said that yesterday. The opening ceremony is cancelled, the Saturday race is cancelled and they don't know how they're going to transport people to the start yet. they are also desperate for volunteers. I cancelled on Tuesday before the original deadline when the airlines were telling me i could not be accommodated on another flight until the mid to end of next week at the absolute earliest. I'll think about whether I want to bother with the race in 2013. I really didn't like reading the message from the mayor and NYRR that the race is being held because small business need our money. There are a few more important things to consider than that right atm.

At any rate, my lack of participation this year was a forgone conclusion yesterday. There have been over 20,000 cancelled flights to the NYC area. If you're fortunate enough to be able to travel later in the week to the race (it's over 12 hours flying time for me) and have a seat, good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
this site has good info:

http://www.wnyc.org/.../28/transit-tracker/

all of the bridges are open so getting in via the road shouldn't be a problem.

Watching the news today about driving into the city and it was reported that if you don't have 3 or more in your car you'll be stopped and not allowed in. Anyone confirm this who lives in the great area. i presume they're referring to Manhattan. But that might make a bit of a difference for folks who are thinking of driving.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Konaflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Konaflyer wrote:
mag900 wrote:
this site has good info:

Watching the news today about driving into the city and it was reported that if you don't have 3 or more in your car you'll be stopped and not allowed in. Anyone confirm this who lives in the great area. i presume they're referring to Manhattan. But that might make a bit of a difference for folks who are thinking of driving.

That is accurate. Today and tomorrow from 6am to midnight only 3 individuals or more in a vehicle can enter Manhattan to ease up on the "dangerous/deadly" gridlock that currently exists in Manhattan. Plus Governor Cumo also declared a Transit Emergency where all mass transit is free of charge thru tomorrow to encourage people to take mass transit (as limited as it is) instead of driving.
Quote Reply
Special Communication: The Marathon Will Take Place Sunday as Scheduled&#8207; [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got the following email from NYRR:
Special Communication: The Marathon Will Take Place Sunday as Scheduled

Following Wednesday's announcement by Mayor Bloomberg, the ING New York City Marathon will proceed on Sunday, November 4. This year's marathon is dedicated to the City of New York, the victims of the hurricane, and their families.

We're adjusting Marathon Day plans as a result of the storm's impact on our operations and resources. At every turn, we will be working to ensure that our planning doesn't affect any recovery efforts.

As a result, our sole focus is now on Marathon Sunday and therefore we have:
•Canceled Friday night's Marathon Opening Ceremony and Saturday's NYRR Dash to the Finish Line 5K•Revised our cancellation policy•Extended number pick-up hours at the expo•And established ways for everyone to give back through charitable donations
There will be substantial modifications to the logistics and operations of the race, including the transportation plan, due to the impact of the storm. We continue to work with the city to adjust our marathon planning. Please stay tuned for more important daily updates on our website, through e-mail, and via social media.
Support the Relief Effort

This marathon is all about supporting NYC. To help support New York-area storm relief and recovery efforts, please go to the Mayor's Fund or go to CrowdRise to make a donation.

2012 Revised Cancellation Policy
We've revised the cancellation policy for the 2012 ING New York City Marathon. Runners who are forced to cancel this year because they are unable to reach NYC due to weather will be eligible for guaranteed entry to the 2013 race, even if they also cancelled in 2011. Also, runners may now cancel online, by e-mail, or by mail, until 11:59 p.m. on Saturday, November 3, or in in person at the expo until 5:00 p.m. EDT on that date. Please visit our Cancellation Policies page and follow the guidelines if you need to cancel your entry this year. Please be aware that the revised policy is for 2012 only, and that our no-refund policy in the event of cancellation this year remains in place.

Extended Number Pickup Hours
Given transportation issues resulting from the storm, we're extending the hours to pick up your race materials at the ING New York City Marathon Health and Fitness Expo. The expo will be open:
•Thursday, November 1, and Friday, November 2: 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.•Saturday, November 3, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with bib pickup available from 5:00 to 10:00 p.m. on Saturday.•Those who are not able to arrive at the Jacob Javits Convention Center by 10:00 p.m. on Saturday should call 212.423.2252 or e-mail jcupo@nyrr.org for pickup instructions.

We Need Volunteers
We are humbled and gratified by the many offers of volunteer service that we've received in recent days. Please visit our site for volunteer opportunities at the expo and on race day, or register as a Stand-by Volunteer if you are willing and able to take any available assignment.
Last edited by: DC Pattie: Nov 1, 12 3:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Konaflyer wrote:
mag900 wrote:
this site has good info:

ONLY on the east river crossings.
much needed. way too many cars and the gridlock is unbelievable. behavior of drivers is HORRID.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mary Wittenberg ,NYC Marathon CEO, was just on the Today Show. She seemed to be putting on her best support of the Mayor's decision to hold the race but cancel other related events this weekend.

Hope it all goes off okay. Controversial to say the least.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [thenicetwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thenicetwin wrote:
Mary Wittenberg ,NYC Marathon CEO, was just on the Today Show. She seemed to be putting on her best support of the Mayor's decision to hold the race but cancel other related events this weekend.

Hope it all goes off okay. Controversial to say the least.

That was a very strange interview.

All along I thought it was her and NYRR that was pushing forward in trying to get the race run, but after that interview it seems she has no desire to hold the race, but it was Bloomberg that shoved it down her throat.

IMO, it is in very poor taste to hold the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Konaflyer wrote:
All in all I'm rather disappointed in the dearth of information that was forthcoming from NYRR. Thy wouldn't even post an update on their website telling people they would be allowed to cancel. They kept posting a bunch of stuff but not even something that simple and valuable.

Late tonight (my time) I finally get a letter from them telling us they will allow cancellations until midnight Saturday (11:59 pm actually). Should have said that yesterday. The opening ceremony is cancelled, the Saturday race is cancelled and they don't know how they're going to transport people to the start yet. they are also desperate for volunteers. I cancelled on Tuesday before the original deadline when the airlines were telling me i could not be accommodated on another flight until the mid to end of next week at the absolute earliest. I'll think about whether I want to bother with the race in 2013. I really didn't like reading the message from the mayor and NYRR that the race is being held because small business need our money. There are a few more important things to consider than that right atm.

At any rate, my lack of participation this year was a forgone conclusion yesterday. There have been over 20,000 cancelled flights to the NYC area. If you're fortunate enough to be able to travel later in the week to the race (it's over 12 hours flying time for me) and have a seat, good luck.

Seems like you can't run it or even make it EVEN if you wanted to. Sorry about that. You should seriously reconsider the 2013 option because as a marathon runner, which I assume you are, the NYC marathon is a good thing to put in the bucket list. I would assume there will be about 5,ooo to 10,ooo marathon deferrals this year but for the locals like me, we will toe the line and go on with the race with our thoughts and prayers for all those who have suffered from this disaster. I don't understand those who live here in the City and would not run it and rather just sit on their couch that morning and watch TV.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
meuf wrote:
Konaflyer wrote:
mag900 wrote:
this site has good info:

ONLY on the east river crossings.
much needed. way too many cars and the gridlock is unbelievable. behavior of drivers is HORRID.

that is correct. feel free to take the GWB by yourself but there is major gridlock going on right now so i don't know if you want to come in.
Quote Reply

Prev Next