Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Mad Jee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mad Jee wrote:
Ha, a 90 degree day for Boston and a hurricane for NYC within six months, crazy couple of marathons!

Did Boston and hoping to be running NYC (weather permitting)! Indeed, crazy weather.

If the race is canceled, would the decision be made in the next day or two (I'd hope so, for those traveling to the race)?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
WSJ on twitter is reporting there is seawater in the subways and auto tunnels, and it could take a week to open up again

Not looking good for Sunday. Could they postpone it a week?
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
afurlong wrote:
WSJ on twitter is reporting there is seawater in the subways and auto tunnels, and it could take a week to open up again

Impossible. Completely impossible. Not sure why you think that would be an option. Insane.

Quote | Reply
Mad Jee wrote:
Ha, a 90 degree day for Boston and a hurricane for NYC within six months, crazy couple of marathons!

If NYC is happening...

Quote | Reply
uli wrote:
DC Pattie wrote:
afurlong wrote:

Impossible. Completely impossible. Not sure why you think that would be an option. Insane.

I agree but just in case.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's 11:15. the roads are dry and there's no wind in manhattan right now. the race will be on so everyone can stop freaking out.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
NYC is getting slammed. It sucks not knowing if I am racing in 6 days!!!

I live in Hawaii, I have to leave tomorrow afternoon to get there with anything resembling adequate rest. it could be pushed back a day or so but after that it's questionable. Not like there's a load of flights to JFK (or LGA if i connect somewhere closer).

Make the decision early.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's optimistic. Some people won't even have power by Sunday.

Quote | Reply
From looking at a map, it appears that the packet pick-up/expo location is in an area that was flooded, any reports?

I agree Uli, it would be impracticable to postpone the race for a latter date. Canceling the event is more likely but that to has serious consequences. I wonder if a scaled down event with an alternate route is what they'll ultimately decide on. They could scale it down by guaranteeing entry for all participants in 2013.

I have an Amtrak ticket for Friday morning (purchased it 7 months ago). I doubt the trains will be working and if they are will be so backlogged that I'll get pushed back. So if the race is "on", I'm thinking about driving from DC.
Last edited by: DC Pattie: Oct 30, 12 3:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, Jacob Jarvits is Zone A but it's on a hill so should be fine.

The issue is out on the course, at the start area and the fact that clean-up for a marathon sure is not a priority right now.

The fact alone that probably 5-10,000 foreign runners won't make it, would have no impact on the decision.

If the event will be cancelled, I assume they will give 2012 entrants priority entry for 2013. Not much more they can do really. The money has been spent.

I assume they will have to make a call today. An impossible task. Imagine you go ahead and don't get it done in time. Imagine you cancel and realize on Saturday it would have been possible. As an event organizer (7000 cyclists over 110 miles) I really feel for Mary. At least it doesn't mean the end of the race as it could be with less important races.

Either way, it's just a run!

Quote | Reply
Anyone want to venture a guess when we'll have a definitive answer? It seems like NYRR definitely wants to run the race, but I assume the city will make the call.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a back up to the back up plan. If the marathon is canceled then I'll run Richmond the following weekend. I just book a hotel room and in the past I've registered the day before at the expo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have too much experience to not go into marathon season with a back up. Osaka, November 25 it is.

Quote | Reply
uli wrote:
I have too much experience to not go into marathon season with a back up. Osaka, November 25 it is.

Trying to decide on Manchester for this weekend or Vegas in December. Manchester would obviously be better timing, and also very close to home, but my understanding is its a pretty crappy race and extremely slow/hilly course.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uli wrote:
Yes, Jacob Jarvits is Zone A but it's on a hill so should be fine.

The issue is out on the course, at the start area and the fact that clean-up for a marathon sure is not a priority right now.

The fact alone that probably 5-10,000 foreign runners won't make it, would have no impact on the decision.

If the event will be cancelled, I assume they will give 2012 entrants priority entry for 2013. Not much more they can do really. The money has been spent.

I assume they will have to make a call today. An impossible task. Imagine you go ahead and don't get it done in time. Imagine you cancel and realize on Saturday it would have been possible. As an event organizer (7000 cyclists over 110 miles) I really feel for Mary. At least it doesn't mean the end of the race as it could be with less important races.

Either way, it's just a run!

you guys are being ridiculous. you've done the race so you have to know that the start is very high above sea level and wasn't flooded. the fact that the loading area to the start (which also is above sea level) may or may not have been flooded 6 days before the race isn't going to cancel it. the fact that millions of people in the suburbs, who live in towns that continue to use telephone poles to deliver electricity and every year waste millions of dollars repairing downed lines while their residents go without power, isn't going to cancel the race. the fact that some foreigners won't be able to get here isn't going to cancel the race (it's not raining or windy this morning so i assume that the airports are going to be opened earlier than predicted and most will get here if they want to).

as of right now, it just feels like a typical october morning as it is cloudy, not raining and not windy. it's also not like there was massive damage throughout manhattan. if someone took pictures of most streets in manhattan and showed them to you, you would have no idea that a tropical storm just rolled through because nothing is down and nothing is destroyed. clearly that is not the case with a lot of the coastal towns but the nycm isn't being held in them.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
I'm 6 blocks from the river in lower Manhattan and we've already got water knee deep and its rising.

Maybe they'll turn the marathon into an aqua-run.

Either way, good luck runners.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So do you not have a TV/cable? You appear to have the internet. Cars were literally floating around in parts of lower Manhattan. It could be days before public transit is running in all areas of the city. Areas of queens and Brooklyn were completely submerged. And you think priority will be given to making sure a running race still happens? I hope everyone's still able to race but you act like most new yorkers - "there's no water by me, I still have power, so everything is fine". That's if you even live in the city..

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
the fact that some foreigners won't be able to get here isn't going to cancel the race (it's not raining or windy this morning so i assume that the airports are going to be opened earlier than predicted and most will get here if they want to).

Well, as for the foreigners: I'm yet to hear from someone who had a flight planned between today and Saturday to have either a) any connection making it in time for Sunday or b) anything earlier than arriving Saturday at 7pm.

It may or may not happen but you should look around if you are in the area. This is not a 200 people 5k.

Expo load-in is delayed but as of now planned to go ahead. That's a good sign.

Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
So do you not have a TV/cable? You appear to have the internet. Cars were literally floating around in parts of lower Manhattan. It could be days before public transit is running in all areas of the city. Areas of queens and Brooklyn were completely submerged. And you think priority will be given to making sure a running race still happens? I hope everyone's still able to race but you act like most new yorkers - "there's no water by me, I still have power, so everything is fine". That's if you even live in the city..

this is a typical ignorant/arrogant triathlete post. so you saw on television a car underwater in a part of manhattan that is nowhere near the race course and that means that the entire city has been destroyed? are you aware that there also were cars submerged in new jersey? not only do i live in manhattan, i live on the actual course. i just got in from walking around and 1st ave has nothing more than a few branches on it. it's fine. the city has over 5 days to get the course ready, public transportation up and running and everything else that got impacted yesterday that is essential ironed out. since you seem to be a self-professed expert on how nyc runs (despite not actually living here), what makes you think that the city will be completely frozen and shutdown through sunday and the race will be canceled?

also, don't forget that mary is running the show and knows what she is doing. unlike wall street, which shockingly still does not have a contingency plan in place after 9/11, nyrr does. she knows what she is doing and, thankfully, the one-eyed bandit isn't in charge anymore. here's the latest story:

NYC Marathon not expected to be affected by storm
0nShare[/url]
NEW YORK (AP) - New York City Marathon organizers expect superstorm Sandy to have little effect on Sunday's race.

"We're extraordinarily lucky the marathon is not today,'' New York Road Runners President Mary Wittenberg said during a conference call Monday as wind and rain started to batter the city.
Instead, she said, "we have time on our side'' - enough to prepare the course and for runners to travel to the city after the storm passes through.
And if flooding or other damage affects the course or logistics, NYRR has contingency plans every year to adjust to any potential problems.
The route through the five boroughs mostly avoids areas considered at highest risk for flooding. The biggest concerns center on getting entrants their numbers and to the starting line on Staten Island.
The ferry buildings used by about half the runners to travel from Manhattan to the start are in at-risk areas. Many other entrants take buses through the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, which could flood. The Javits Center, where runners pick up their numbers, also is in an affected area.
The storm could knock down trees and limbs in Central Park, where the 26.2-mile race finishes. Wittenberg noted that the city was able to clear the park in time for last year's race a week after a freak snowstorm caused extensive damage.
NYRR organizes about 50 events a year and has dealt with obstacles ranging from heavy snow to lightning to security concerns.
"We've been through close to it all,'' Wittenberg said.
Organizers expect to reschedule flights to get all the elite athletes to New York early. And Wittenberg was confident that most of the nearly 20,000 amateur international runners signed up would make it in time. The hours for number pickup will probably be extended for those who arrive late Saturday.
For runners who can't get to New York, the deadline to withdraw from the race and guarantee a spot in next year's event likely will be pushed back from Wednesday to Saturday. Race organizers won't refund entry fees, and runners would have to pay again next year under normal race policy.
The ceremonial finish-line painting scheduled for Wednesday has been canceled, along with a news conference Tuesday. A children's run Thursday has been moved from Central Park to an indoor track, and the pavilion in the park has been taken down for the time being. If power is lost, generators or backup systems are in key locations.
Otherwise, Wittenberg expects race week will look much the same to New Yorkers and competitors. Extra time is always built into planning, and 700 part-time workers and 8,000 volunteers ensure the course can be set up quickly.
"We remain extremely confident we will have an amazing weekend,'' she said.

if you still feel so strongly that the race will be canceled, i am more than happy to take the other side of that bet in whatever size you want to wager.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really sorry that you seem not to have a contingency plan. And your fitness for this race might be "wasted".

Talk about ignorant. You should relax a bit.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
I'm really sorry that you seem not to have a contingency plan. And your fitness for this race might be "wasted".

Talk about ignorant. You should relax a bit.

i'm not doing the race! i'm just responding to your idiotic post. i also have been in contact with senior people at nyrr today and nyrr expects the race to go on (ie, it's not mary blowing hot air to the media). ultimately, it's the city's decision but i can't see it being canceled given how little damage there has been in and around the marathon course. from what i understand, nyrr is most concerned right now with the ferry situation and the damage in central park but both situations easily can be dealt with over the next 5 days. in the meantime, i look forward to reading some more of your woefully ill-informed posts from a distant place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its not nyrr's call as you seem to understand. I'd listen more to what Uli has to say. Just because the actual course appears to be fine is irrelevant.

Distant place? I'm in Manhattan, just a block away from water levels that exceeded waist deep. Most all of lower Manhattan is without power still - my building included.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
wsrobert wrote:

this is a typical ignorant/arrogant triathlete post. so you saw on television a car underwater in a part of manhattan that is nowhere near the race course and that means that the entire city has been destroyed? are you aware that there also were cars submerged in new jersey? not only do i live in manhattan, i live on the actual course. i just got in from walking around and 1st ave has nothing more than a few branches on it. it's fine. the city has over 5 days to get the course ready, public transportation up and running and everything else that got impacted yesterday that is essential ironed out. since you seem to be a self-professed expert on how nyc runs (despite not actually living here), what makes you think that the city will be completely frozen and shutdown through sunday and the race will be canceled?

also, don't forget that mary is running the show and knows what she is doing. unlike wall street, which shockingly still does not have a contingency plan in place after 9/11, nyrr does. she knows what she is doing and, thankfully, the one-eyed bandit isn't in charge anymore. here's the latest story:

NYC Marathon not expected to be affected by storm
0nShare[/url]
NEW YORK (AP) - New York City Marathon organizers expect superstorm Sandy to have little effect on Sunday's race.

"We're extraordinarily lucky the marathon is not today,'' New York Road Runners President Mary Wittenberg said during a conference call Monday as wind and rain started to batter the city.
Instead, she said, "we have time on our side'' - enough to prepare the course and for runners to travel to the city after the storm passes through.
And if flooding or other damage affects the course or logistics, NYRR has contingency plans every year to adjust to any potential problems.
The route through the five boroughs mostly avoids areas considered at highest risk for flooding. The biggest concerns center on getting entrants their numbers and to the starting line on Staten Island.
The ferry buildings used by about half the runners to travel from Manhattan to the start are in at-risk areas. Many other entrants take buses through the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, which could flood. The Javits Center, where runners pick up their numbers, also is in an affected area.
The storm could knock down trees and limbs in Central Park, where the 26.2-mile race finishes. Wittenberg noted that the city was able to clear the park in time for last year's race a week after a freak snowstorm caused extensive damage.
NYRR organizes about 50 events a year and has dealt with obstacles ranging from heavy snow to lightning to security concerns.
"We've been through close to it all,'' Wittenberg said.
Organizers expect to reschedule flights to get all the elite athletes to New York early. And Wittenberg was confident that most of the nearly 20,000 amateur international runners signed up would make it in time. The hours for number pickup will probably be extended for those who arrive late Saturday.
For runners who can't get to New York, the deadline to withdraw from the race and guarantee a spot in next year's event likely will be pushed back from Wednesday to Saturday. Race organizers won't refund entry fees, and runners would have to pay again next year under normal race policy.
The ceremonial finish-line painting scheduled for Wednesday has been canceled, along with a news conference Tuesday. A children's run Thursday has been moved from Central Park to an indoor track, and the pavilion in the park has been taken down for the time being. If power is lost, generators or backup systems are in key locations.
Otherwise, Wittenberg expects race week will look much the same to New Yorkers and competitors. Extra time is always built into planning, and 700 part-time workers and 8,000 volunteers ensure the course can be set up quickly.
"We remain extremely confident we will have an amazing weekend,'' she said.

if you still feel so strongly that the race will be canceled, i am more than happy to take the other side of that bet in whatever size you want to wager.

So you rely on an article that was largely written and quoted before the storm even hit? Maybe they do get it done, but it seems to me the better use of police and emergency personnel this weekend will be in other areas besides working a race route.
Last edited by: bluemonkeytri: Oct 30, 12 7:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
Its not nyrr's call as you seem to understand. I'd listen more to what Uli has to say. Just because the actual course appears to be fine is irrelevant.

Distant place? I'm in Manhattan, just a block away from water levels that exceeded waist deep. Most all of lower Manhattan is without power still - my building included.

i applaud you for another ridiculous post. so the condition of the actual course now is irrelevant? so if miles of road were ripped apart and covered with live electric lines and trees, that would somehow be "irrelevant." i can see that you have a good grasp of the issues at hand. do continue with your posts as they are most enjoyable to read.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, if you would have bothered to have read what i wrote above the article, i've been in contact with people at nyrr this morning and myself walked around 1st ave. perhaps you should go back and re-read what i wrote?

i also know that a lot of the pros are scrambling right now trying to fly into other cities and drive. molly pritz drove in from detroit on sunday to ensure that she would be here. she was one of the only ones who was smart enough to get here early via an alternate plan. also, the 5k on saturday very well might get canceled.
Quote Reply

Prev Next